Watchmen

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

jedispyder

Watchmen

Post by jedispyder »

Go fucking see it. Now!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I did not think it was good. No need to rush out to see it.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

2 of my roomies went tonight and loved it, but did not appreciate the copious amounts of cock and the hardcore sexxin

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

Im supposed to go watching this tonight with my missus but im not convinced she'll like it.

and to be fair i dont have high expectation either
:chewie:

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

The cocks are funny cause they're blue, so everytime you see it you snicker at it....

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The blue cocks are the core of Watchmen. Also, while the film looks great, I'm not too excited to see it.

Python

Post by Python »

I'll be seeing it tonight on an IMAX screen. I've never watched a movie on one of those before, so it should be a cool experience.
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad:

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm catching it Sunday on IMAX (what's the big deal about that anyway?). I'm looking kinda forward to it, but expect to be served nothing grand.

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

It was ok. Better than i expected, but nowhere near as good as the graphic novel

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Did you actually expect it to be as good as the graphic novel? Lol, nothing can be as good as that ;)

Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

This was a terrible, terrible movie. Not just a terrible adaptation, a terrible movie in general. Anyone who hasn't seen it yet should save the ten bucks and buy themselves something shiny. This movie is to be dismissed entirely.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Bah, you just don't know to enjoy movies in general ;) You're not supposed to bring your brain to a movie, I keep telling you that but you keep forgetting ^_^

Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

I'm just saying, one of the best comics ever has spawned one of the worst movies ever. Somewhere, Alan Moore is laughing, and I applaud him for it.

There was so much wrong with that movie, it doesn't even warrant discussion. Save your money, people.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

No, worst adaptation was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That was a piece of utter shit, lol. I was too close to the comic when I saw the movie and it fucking appalled me. Alan Moore was laughing his ass off at that one...

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

I didn't expect it to be like the comic but still..

It just didn't feel like the film even had a plotline, which given the source material is appaling. Why was the mask killer plotline hardly mentioned? its probably the main plotline of the comic.

I think they tryed to stay too close to the graphic novel and by doing so failed to realise alot of the stuff doesn't work in a movie. I went with my girlfriend who told me she didn't have a clue what was going on until near the end. sure shes pretty thick but i can see what she means. A film should be well written and keep people gripped until the finale, not confuse them and sort it out at the end.

My inner geek still enjoyed bits of it though.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I had no problem understanding it, and its been years since I read the comic. The plot was pretty understandable to me, the Comedienne was killed in the beginning and now we're trying to figure out who did it.

I do agree there was a lot of extra stuff that wasn't needed, but most of the stuff was to aid a point. Not all, but most. Some things could have easily been cut out to make it shorter and maybe less confusing.

I still stand by my point that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Then again I'm very easily entertained and I enjoy almost every movie I see, lol. I'm not like others where a movie has to be completely perfect, I just sit back and let my brain relax for the movie.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

And it seems I'm not the only person who really enjoyed it. Over at Newsarama there is a poll that 401 people have taken: http://www.newsarama.com/film/090307-watchmen-poll.html
10 - Perfect 12% (47 votes)
9 19% (76 votes)
8 33% (131 votes)
7 15% (60 votes)
6 7% (27 votes)
5 - Average 7% (30 votes)
4 2% (9 votes)
3 1% (6 votes)
2 1% (3 votes)
1 <1% (2 votes)
0 - Utter failure 2% (10 votes)

So all you bitchers (cough Jack cough) are the minority ^_^

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

The problem is, in the comic, most of the scenes are delicately linked. In the movie by removing numerous scenes and not compensating for them in the remaining ones, it ruined the flow of the movie. I never found it that confusing, but i have read the comic.

It should never, ever, be a pre-requirement to read the source material before watching a movie.

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

jedispyder wrote:And it seems I'm not the only person who really enjoyed it. Over at Newsarama there is a poll that 401 people have taken: http://www.newsarama.com/film/090307-watchmen-poll.html
10 - Perfect 12% (47 votes)
9 19% (76 votes)
8 33% (131 votes)
7 15% (60 votes)
6 7% (27 votes)
5 - Average 7% (30 votes)
4 2% (9 votes)
3 1% (6 votes)
2 1% (3 votes)
1 <1% (2 votes)
0 - Utter failure 2% (10 votes)

So all you bitchers (cough Jack cough) are the minority ^_^
401 people (all presumably comic book fans to boot) is hardly proof of the movies enjoyability.

The point of turning it into a movie is to reach a wider audience and in that respect i think it will be summed up in one word. Fail.

And i would probably stick a 5 rating on it. (which is alot better than i thought it would be to be fair)

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

If you look at Jack's statement, he was saying as a comic adaptation it was horrible. Now here we have the fans who are saying it wasn't. That's my point, that not all fans think this is horrible.

And I really didn't feel I had to read the comics to understand the movie, I felt everything was presented in the movie for you to enjoy it. As I've said, its been years since I read the comic and only remembered very few things, but I still felt I could follow the movie. I had no trouble at all, whatsoever. I do agree it would be interesting to see how non-comic fans enjoyed it. In the thread someone commented that their non-comic friends really enjoyed it.