The Wulfs Den

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Pixie is about the only one I think of, but I can't take her serously.
I never really saw Jubilee as an X-Man either.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I liked Pixie in Wood's run from just over a year ago, and I've only recently come around to Jubilee. Her original character was very annoying, but I was influenced mostly by the cartoon with her, and couldn't stand here there as a kid. I really liked Armor and wished she was used more.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

As did I.
The majority of the new X-Men since New Mutants and Astonishing X-Men just haven't been fleshed out enough for me to really remember or care about.

Although, the old X-Men are having the same problem for me, like Iceman, Canonball, etc.

The X-Books have really been centreing on a core few for the last few years.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Very true, and it's the same core they'll always focus on because they're already developed as it is. Each writer seems to feel the need to develop a new character rather than continuing on with one previously worked on.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Exactly.
I think the only other character getting really fleshed out right now is Havok and Polaris.

I say think because I'm not reading Uncanny Avengers.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I dropped it. It was far to convoluted for me. And I really like Havok, so I wasn't happy to let him go but it just wasn't worth the money anymore.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Say, are you catching Glory there in Canada? If so, what'd you think about the Bonjasky - Silva fight and the absurd jury decision?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I haven't caught it yet, I've been looking for it on torrents.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Too bad you don't live in Holland, I know a Dutch stream. You'll probably not be able to watch it, though.

Tonight is Bonjasky's final fight, against Crocop.

MGM

Post by MGM »

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I feel like Silva won the first round, maybe, but Remy won round 2 and 3 easily.
Remy didn't look as good as I have seen him before, though.

I'll keep my eye out for the one against Crocop tonight.

God that looked like it hurt though, that knee straight into Silva jaw did not look pleasant, and holy fuck can that guy throw good knees.

MGM

Post by MGM »

It was clearly a 29-28 to Bonjasky, I think there were probably 3 people in the room that saw it differently. I saw Bonjasky's goodbye speeach afterwards, where he very gently tells the jury they were fucking wrong (and also that apparently Silva's corner was pretty much about to congratulate him with his win).

He's not in his prime anymore, of course. But especially in the first 30-45 seconds of rounds 2 and 3 he came actually rather close to his prime, I think. Exceot for the fact that he couldn't carry that pace the entire round. :D

I was watching some old K-1 last night and man, it seems as though the fighters were better back then. I primarely focues on Dutch fighters, but I don't think you see 'em like Hoost, Aerts, Bonjasky, Schilt and Hari (okay, technically not Dutch) anymore. At least, not in pure kickboxing (but I don't really care for grappling and all, so I'm not giving that much attention to MMA).

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I've actually noticed the same thing. To me though, it seems like Kickboxing as a sport is dying a little, like boxing, the move to MMA is getting bigger doe to money.

All the great kick boxers you hear about are closer to 40 than not, and I never hear about anyone talking about 20 somethings kick boxers, but I am also far removed from kick boxing culture here in Canada.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I think it had to do with the end of K-1. To win the K-1 Grand Prix tournament, you had to be on your absolute best. Those tournaments aren't around anymore. Glory also focuses on the US, where they gain a lot of followers, but where the level of kickboxing simply isn't very high.

And that's indeed to do with money. I'm not sure exactly, but I think K-1 ended because of money issues? Also, political issues. Fighters like Bob Sapp in the past should never have been allowed to fight in the K-1 Grand Prix. But he was from a different contintent than the other fighters, so...

To be fair, in Holland there are quite a few talented young kickboxers (Rico Verhoeven, to name one), but overall in Glory I think most guys are either somewhat older or not as good as the older guys used to be.

Also, did you see the astonishment on Bonjaskay's face when they announced Silva the winner? And Silve seemed either embarresed or very relieved.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Speaking of old fighters and knees:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCVzx0_EfPg

MGM

Post by MGM »

wolf_2099 wrote:I'll keep my eye out for the one against Crocop tonight.
Eh, just miss this one. Not a good fight and the decision is as much a travesty as on his last fight.

On a related note, Ristie surprisingly lost his fight.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I saw the recent Glory fight with Crocop. He presses forwards more and looks like he wants to be there and engage. This was missing in his last several MMA fights.

I think financial reasons were indeed why K1 ended. They couldn't pay fighters' purses. It's all about Glory now, as I understand it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Hoost is coming out of retirement now, too.

MGM

Post by MGM »

No, it's just a one-time thing. He's organizing a (yearly?) tournament and this year he'll do a match.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Some sketches from Ottawa.