The Wulfs Den

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Sorry for the types, I'm o an iPad.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

Marvel only has booth at SDCC and NYCC. Any other show, they have nothing, only panels.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Which s odd, because they had (have?) a booth at Toronto, and are in talks to have a booth at montreal.

Not a big one, it's big signings, but a booth with a couple guests, anyways?

Image Did a massive booth for eccc, same booth for every show, though.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Lack of Marvel booths anywhere but SDCC & NYCC is probably a cost cutting measure. Despite being owned by Disney, I hear Marvel is under constant pressure to reduce expenditures, hence the slashing of so many low performing titles and removal of editors last year -when historically Marvel really tries to push lower selling titles.

Having booths in either Montreal and/or Toronto makes sense because they would want to expand their footprint aborad. Here in the U.S. they're already at the two biggest conventions so why bother with anything smaller.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

My really fast con report I typed at work. I'll have all the sketches up on my CAF by the end of the week.

I arrived at ECCC Thursday night to help a friend set-up his booth. The normal dealers were there buying up and re-stocking their booths before the show started. I walked around for a bit, figuring out exactly where the creators I wanted to meet were set-up and got a feel for the show floor.

Friday morning I arrived at about 10am. I picked up the weekend pass I didn’t end up needing. There were already about 100 people in lines waiting to get their passes. I also got to meet Synch, since he wanted my spare weekend pass, which worked out well for both of us, since I believe he got to skip the massive line-up for tickets.
Around one, Brubaker, Moore and Rucka were there. I was lucky enough to meet them and get my comics signed before the show opened.
Rucka had brought an ARC of his next book, Alpha that he was going to use to raise some money for the CBLDF. I was lucky enough to get it from him by just offering a donation then and there.

When the show opened at two, I was waiting at the image booth to get a ticket for the Kirkman signing. I saw the Walking Dead bibles sell. It was a complete *spoon* show. The signing tickets were also gone in under a minute. It was almost a stampede.
Thanks to this, I ended up being 6th in line for Ryan Ottley and missing my sketch opportunity, which sucked. He was the main reason I wanted to come to this particular show. I also didn’t get picked by Tony Moore. I did get a Steve Leiber sketch, and picked up my Clayton Crain sketch. I also ended up getting all my books signed by Kirkman.
Friday was busy, but not so busy you couldn’t do anything. The guests were extremely friendly, and all in all I had a great time.

I ended up at the heroes Inititave bowling Friday night, which was a lot of fun; I did not get a bowling pin though. I bowled with Tony Parker, and next to Barry Kitson. It was a very fun night, and got to meet some new people.

Saturday morning I got in at 8:45 or so and dropped off my name for Tony Moore, and completely skipped the Image booth for the raffle, but was told it actually was a stampede. I was sitting first in line for Ryan Ottley, and luckily got my sketch. I then also got picked by Tony Moore, for a Rick & Zombie sketch. Saturday was extremely busy; it was very, very hard to move around in artist’s alley. I ended up leaving from about 12-2, since there was just no point, you couldn’t do anything. Even the restaurants around the show were packed, the Cheesecake Factory on Saturday took 30 minutes for take-out at 2pm, and it was insane. I should note, Brubaker was not signing once Saturday, he was in so many panels. I also believe he was never at his table Sunday, either.

Saturday night was the dinner, which turned out to very, very educational. As a younger guy just starting to get interested in Silver Age and Golden Age comics, I got some very, very good information on buying and grading comics. It was a fantastic night.

Sunday since I had nothing left to do, I waited for the Walking Dead Bible raffle. I was at the table when the show opened, and within 2 minutes of the door opening, the table was swamped. I got a raffle ticket, but there were so many people I had trouble getting out so other could get in. In under a minute, the raffle tickets and Kirkman signing tickets were gone. It was crazy, and probably could have been handled better.
Sunday was mostly just wandering around, enjoying the show and trying to find some comics to buy, which I could not.
At quarter after 4, I swung by the Image booth to find out if there were any Walking Deads left, he said they were selling the leftovers off at 4:45. Apparently many people didn’t realize you had to buy them. After chatting with the guy for a minute, he offered to just sell me one, which I thought was extremely nice of him, and a pleasant surprise for the show.

I ended up with;
About 120 comics signed for my personal collection, not CGC.
3 Signed books by Greg Rucka, including the Alpha ARC
2 Blank Cover sketches by Terry Dodson
Clayton Crain Spider-Man/Carnage Sketch
Steve Leiber Batman
Tony Moore Rick/Zombie Sketch
Ryan Ottley Invincible/Allen the Alien Sketch
Tony Moore Brit Page
Matthew Southworth Punisher Page
2 Ryan Ottley Invincible Pages
And then the Walking Dead Bible

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Where do you work?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Working part time at Telus while I job hunt!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

MGM

Post by MGM »

Sounds awesome. But what's an ARC?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Advanced Reading Comic

Basically an unpolished copy of the book for readers, so they can check for errors.

Like beta tests for a video game.

XIII

Post by XIII »

This is me salivating all over your thread.

Sound like a good show but very packed. It seems that if not for your opportunity to get in before they opened the door, you couldn't have gotten to Brubaker.
Anyway, very happy for you and like seeing your collection of original art and pages grow and grow. That page by Southworth is very nice, and shit, a Queen and Country page by Rolston!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

If I couldn't have gotten in early, I would not have gotten any of that cool stuff done. It was all stemmed from early access to the show.

This show, while not as fun as NYCC with you guys, was easily the best show I have ever been to.

The Q&C page was a nice, Rolston is from Vancouver, and I really wanted a page, so I went local and saw what he had left.

I'm going to make my comic list for the show tomorrow, perhaps I will post everything I got signed.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Glad for you!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Happy that much fun was had.

Your sketches are very cool, and the best seems to be The Walking Dead one. Ever since Kirkman made it big, the Image booth in general has been getting crazy traffic but good for them, it is well earned.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The Image booth craziness is all Kirkman, though.

Even John Laymen and Nick Spencer were there, and after their initial rush of people, you could just walk up and chat away.

Ottley and Jason Howard don't even do signings with Kirkman, because they are all there to see him.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

115 signed comics
3 signed trades
4 signed hardcover books
No wonder my back hurts.

Plus the assorted signed comics I got for others, and 1 paperback.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

wolf_2099 wrote:Working part time at Telus while I job hunt!
Is that it then? Is there no one left among us who is in school anymore? This feels like the end of an era. :e2cry:

I was just reading some articles on CBR and they had an article about a panel celebrating the 20th anniversary of Batman: The Animated Series which featured Bruce Timm, Kevin Conroy, Alan Burnett & Tara Strong. I'd really really love for Timm & Conroy to come to NY so I can get my Batman animated cel signed as well as hopefully getting my Joker cel signed by Hamil. I missed them last year due to not having anything for them to sign. It's surprisingly difficult to decent B:TAS memorabilia.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Simon will be in school soon?
I may have to go back for 6 months?

Timm and Conroy both had huge line-ups at ECCC, I was shocked at how popular they were.
Conroy especially had a ton of young teens.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Simon still has 2 more years before he sets foot in a school.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Wow 3?
I was thinking its be 4 or 5