2010 Con dates?

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

wolf_2099 wrote:Eh, as in?

Hahaha. :)

I don't mind doing NYCC again, mainly because it seems this could gurantee seeing peeps from the Board I haven't seen yet. Although, seems like Chicago could gurantee this too.
To be fair, in terms of creators, who knows what creators will turn up and seeing the guys I've already seen (creators and BXers) would be cool, no matter where. However, I do have a preference for Chicago, as a location, simply because I haven't been there. I would aim to get there a few days earlier and see some stuff.

In terms of money. Maybe my situation is different to others, but I think, if you haven't got the money to go to either SD or Chicago, you probably shouldn't even be considring NYCC either - just because it's a bit later - unless you're prepared to spend a lot of dough in a concentrated span of time and forego whatever other borderline luxuery purchase you may intend to make.

Ultimately, I'm interested in Chicago for some novelty - I haven't been there and the contrast of con organisers could be interesting.
But... of course all the below will have varying effects on my choice preference:

* Cost - Flight, Hotel (not so much Con)
* Time/Clash
* Creators advertised
* Stuff I want to do outside of the Con
* BXers who can go/their preferences

Also, I suppose I should check out the Bristol Con, since it's so close. :D

MGM

Post by MGM »

I suppose the costs for the Con aren't really the problem, but more the whole staying in NYC, etc. Also, we might plan a NYC/Boston trip if we go to the NYCC.

Anyway, I suppose the creators are a wildcard anyway. I doubt they'll have announced the creators that'll attend the NYCC when it's time to book for Chicago or San Diego.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

We barely had enough time to hit the shit in NYC. Meek couldn't even manage a trip to Jersey to see D. I doubt we'd be getting anywhere else, just from time let alone cost.

NYCC seemed to have about the same creators last year as this year. Or at least a large chunk of the same.

Chicago and San Diego would probably also be cheaper to stay in. NYC was, and is fucking expensive for food and shit. You'll spend way more than you thought you would.

I cannot imagine the cost difference between NYC, and Chicago, bottom line, being any different. Chicago might be cheaper.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

Sorry about that, I meant me and my girl are thinking about a NYC/Boston thing. But Chicago would work as well. Just have to talk to her about it anyway.

I think the most important part is to first figure out who could attend which Con.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Ah, okay. How long would you take the trip for?

It'll be interesting to see who comes through, hard trip to manage. Last year people expressed great interest in coming this year, too, but in the end it was just Meek.

Where would people rather go?

Python

Post by Python »

*Cough* DC.
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad:

MGM

Post by MGM »

I suppose we'd to a 2, 3 week trip. We've been to NYC before, so we wouldn't need a week for that. Just a few days extra before the Con and then off to somewhere else.

Last year I wanted to come, but I knew I couldn't. This year I'll come with my girl to NYCC for sure if that's where we go. Any other place we'd need to talk about. I think Chicago would have a better chance than San Diego. But we'd probably want extra time as well, a few days before the Con to see the city and something else. LA for San Diego, no clue what else for Chicago.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Python wrote:*Cough* DC.
What about it?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Is there even a con at DC?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Not that I know of.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

So. then. Maybe python lives in DC?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yes, he does.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I could conceivably do the Chicago Con but a lot of it depends on my employment status when Con time rolls around. If I am unemployed as the Con approaches, I'll have to drop out.

While I was attending this past Con my company slashed salaries across the board (mine included) and laid people off. So for right now I can't fully commit to doing a Con outside of NY.

XIII

Post by XIII »

MGM wrote:CBKA? I think?
Well, let's not remind him.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Well, I can't say anything about preferences yet.
Going back to NYCC really isn't a problem to me. Except Malorie would want to see something else.
If we don't do NYCC, I'd rather have a go at San Diego even though I'm sure it wouldn't be as great an experience : more people, better organization (no cutting the entrance line), creators maybe less available.
Also, Waid was at NYCC the both times we've been there. You just missed him, is all.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

XIII wrote:Well, I can't say anything about preferences yet.

Also, Waid was at NYCC the both times we've been there. You just missed him, is all.
That can't be true

XIII

Post by XIII »

Something else : San Diego is in July which right in the tourist season. So if we choose SD, we'd have to decide on it WELL in advance if we want to find hotel rooms and the cost will probably be as high as New York, what with the Con being in town.
Also : San Diego is a twice as long flight, thrice as expensive. Very hard to do. And I hate to admit it since Meek? would be a sure lock at SDCC.

About NYCC 2010 : it's at the end of Con season, when most of the big announcement have already been made so there might be a lack of excitement and creator presence. I don't know.

Chicago : Flight a bit longer and expensive than NYC. Big advantage for Chicago in 2010: Reed Exhibition is taking over organizing it. They do NYCC so we know they are quality.

In short : I don't know, really. But I think that deep down inside, my heart goes to NYCC. I want to hit a con with MGM.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:That can't be true
Well he was announced as guest this year but I'm with you, I never saw him.

I DID run into him in 2008. In Artist Alley. He was wearing a blue shirt. I can't remember if any of you guys were with me but I can't imagine I kept this info for myself.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

XIII wrote:Something else :
Also : San Diego is a twice as long flight, thrice as expensive. Very hard to do. And I hate to admit it since Meek? would be a sure lock at SDCC.
I'd like to do SD down the line a bit.
Chicago : Flight a bit longer and expensive than NYC. Big advantage for Chicago in 2010: Reed Exhibition is taking over organizing it. They do NYCC so we know they are quality.
I'd like to do Chicago but its still too far down the road for me to make any realistic decision on.
In short : I don't know, really. But I think that deep down inside, my heart goes to NYCC. I want to hit a con with MGM.
I do too! But I also want to meet the Board's resident baby: Edbert

MGM

Post by MGM »

XIII wrote:Something else : San Diego is in July which right in the tourist season. So if we choose SD, we'd have to decide on it WELL in advance if we want to find hotel rooms and the cost will probably be as high as New York, what with the Con being in town.

About NYCC 2010 : it's at the end of Con season, when most of the big announcement have already been made so there might be a lack of excitement and creator presence. I don't know.

I checked flights for 2009, since 2010 is too far away. October NYC costs €600, July SD costs €1000 and April Chicago costs €600 for me. That's a big difference and I agree with Arn: tourist season is not so good.

I realise it's all very far away, but I want to be well prepared. I think I'd likely drop out of SD, because of the price and Chicago is half a year before NYC.

But first, we really need a list of people who tell where they (likely) will show up.