More NYCC News! Creators speak out about the 2 Cons

General discussions about the books with tights and fights!

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

XIII

Post by XIII »

Well, I'm considering buying ticket for each. And visit both. I'll decide when we have guest lists more complete. I'll guess they'll fight for exclusive appearances of creators.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Apparantly this Shamus chap has a history of dick moves. Well, according to some of the comments on that link.

Who have they snagged Cam?

With NYCC set to use more of the JJC (not all for comics though (anime)) this plus growing yearly attendance should help pursuade clients to stick with NYCC.

Arn, I suppose, at the very least, if Big Apple does something on the Thursday then that's atleast a 'no compete day' that we could all attend.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I like your thinking!
And I'm pretty the real exciting stuff will be happening at NYCC. DC & Marvel won't have any official representation at Big Apple. Also, guys like CB Cebulski (talent coordinator at Marvel) really have it in for Wizard so I guess he'll encourage the majority of Marvel artists to attend NYCC instead.

What I'm concerned about is that NYCC is already 60% sold (as they say in the statement). Do they mean tickets or exhibitor floor? If tickets, I might get mine this week, just to be sure.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Not sure if I'd call this a dick move exactly. I think its Big Apple just trying to get in on the market for pop-culture/comic related things. Until the last 5-7 years, no one really thought of the comic business as lucrative. I can see it as annoying from a fan's perspective that now all the creative talent is no longer all under one roof.

Also with the NYCC being so new it makes sense that if anyone wanted to get in on it, they should do it now while NYCC is still going to hiccups and bumps with their logistics/planning (I mean really - a Con in February?) and still has yet to establish themselves as The Con for NY. Theres no way in hell Shamus try this with the San Diego Con.
What I'm concerned about is that NYCC is already 60% sold (as they say in the statement). Do they mean tickets or exhibitor floor? If tickets, I might get mine this week, just to be sure.
Are tickets really already 60% sold? That's crazy. I think I just might have to get mine this week also.

Has anyone else purchased their tickets yet?

XIII

Post by XIII »

Dude, NYCC is the second biggest show in NYC. I don't think they need to establish themselves.
It's definitely a dick move. How many retailers will be able to be at both shows? Even in October, there were 3 other weekends to choose from.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Anyway, this 60% sold out stuff serious? 'Cause I'll get my tickets this week, than.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I don't know. It might be that they've sold 60% of exhibitors tables as well.
Still buying my tickets this week though.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Okay then. I'm going to buy my tickets this week.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Tickets bought, my and Natascha will be there.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Got my tickets for NYCC.

Not sure whether I'll purchase a one-day pass for the Big Apple Con.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'm close to having an overdrawn account but as soon as I get my paycheck, I'll buy my tickets.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I guess I'll buy my ticket soon too. This weekend perhaps.

On Paul O'Brien and Al Kennedy's podcast, House to Astonish, they talked about the convention war. They are of the opinion that there's only one reason why you book your convention on the same weekend as another i.e. battle. They, or atleast Paul, is of the opinion that Shamus over estimates the value of the brand Wizard now and also during their heyday and the strength of his connections with comic industry people.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Hey, Stockwell, fancy sharing your hotel room with me again?

I'll have to listen to the podcast. I'm two issues behind on HtA.

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

XIII wrote:And why do we have to share with anime fans and their ridiculous cosplay? I don't feel bad for them. I feel murder, beating.
Why does it have to happen at the same date? I'm bummed.
wolf_2099 wrote:Me too. Partly for what you said, partly because that is the first step it it becoming a non comic comiccon.

Next thing we know, video game floor, then TV movies, then comics take a back seat, ala San Diego.

All in the name of more cash.
Anime fans love you too. :love:
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Anime fans cannot love, for they have no souls nor hearts to love with.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Hopefully, since the whole JJC is booked, comics area and anime area will be clearly separated.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I just bought mine too. does anyone want to do the lord of the rings thing? they will be showing the movie at Radio city music hall with a live band playing the score! I wish I knew bout it before, the fellowship of the ring is next week but they will be doing the two towers while everyone is there for the con

XIII

Post by XIII »

Not too sure about that. I'd rather spend the money on buying drinks at Milano's :D

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sandman wrote:I just bought mine too. does anyone want to do the lord of the rings thing? they will be showing the movie at Radio city music hall with a live band playing the score! I wish I knew bout it before, the fellowship of the ring is next week but they will be doing the two towers while everyone is there for the con
Depends. It sounds fun but tickets will likely be very pricey so I guess I'll see.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Looks like Shamus is serious about making his Wizard a competitor in the Con circuit. he just brought the New England CC. Sorry Stocky, not England but New England Comic Con.

Full article:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091124- ... gland.html