Feel the Burn

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

CBKA wrote:Its about 20 minutes of running to make a real impact on your aerobic fitness. You start burning calories straight away
My mistake, thank you. ^_^

And in general it seems like most of us are trying to figure out what's the least amount of work for maximum impact. :e2brows:
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

lol.

yeah i get that feeling too. I think in general the amount of effort you put in the more benefit you will see, but even little changes like walking places you'd normally drive to will mount up over the year.

The only way you would see quick gains is too push yourself ridiculously hard, and most people quick after a few days/weeks because its too much.

Well that or drugs :)
:chewie:

Python

Post by Python »

The French Biscuit wrote:
Walking is my exercise of choice but I have given some thought to running. Any runners here have any advice for beginners?
Wolf is right: The proper pair of shoes helps tremendously. Avoid cross-trainers/walking shoes. You need shoes that are specifically designed to cushion the impact on your feet, shins and knees while running.

Some popular brand of solid running shoes include Asics and Brooks. I would avoid New Balance. I have never had a good pair of those.

I would take your first two jogging sessions easy. They will act as your warm-up for when you gradually work your way into a regular daily routine. The more you jog, the better you will be at it and the easier it will get.

Remember to lift your knees up while running, as this will help lengthen your stride. Try and keep your toes pointing "up" when getting ready to plant your next step. This will help you land on the ball of your heel (where most of your cushioning is) and makes it easy to roll onto the front pads of your feet to help spring off. The whole thing is a rolling motion which makes it easier to run.
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad:

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

Whoa, who knew so many of you were running savants! :monocle: Thanks everyone! :D
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

MGM

Post by MGM »

Python wrote:Some popular brand of solid running shoes include Asics and...
Not only this, but I've NEVER heard someone mention bad things about Asics.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

CBKA wrote:Actually there is evidence to suggest that maxing yourself out doesn't burn as much fat as other heart rates. Look up "fat burning zone" on google, im not 100% sure but i think it somewhere between 50-70% of your max heart (can remember how you work that out either").
It does, however, get your body ramped up for a longer period of time, burning more calories. It also very much helps improve your endurance.

Anything longer than 20 minutes or so, and you start burning muscle as well as fat.

That fat burning zone, heart rate, and calories burned thing on exercise machines is bullshit, along with those electric fat % scales.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

MGM wrote:Not only this, but I've NEVER heard someone mention bad things about Asics.
bellends wear them.

there you go, now you have

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

ChimeraCreative wrote:I've heard/read that it takes about 20 minutes of sustained running to start to make a real impact on your calorie burning.

I forgot to add, start slow on the run and rev up the pace gradually. For me, starting slow's the difference between 4 miles and 6.5 miles on the elliptical machine.
Intensity, not length. Do 10 minutes of wind sprints a day and tell me your aerobic fitness isn't getting better. You might vomit, but you'll get in shape, fast.

I do 95% of my running in 20 minute intervals, and I am in very good shape.
(Then again, I also do Muay Thai for conditioning.)

Doing 45 minutes at a nice slow pace, while barely breaking out in a sweat is a waste of your time, and not really doing anything for you.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The French Biscuit wrote:Whoa, who knew so many of you were running savants! :monocle: Thanks everyone! :D
Asics, Brooks, Saucony, and Mizuno all make fantastic shoes.

Do not listen to someone saying 1 is better than the other for those 4 at least.
It all depends on what feels good on your foot.

My dad, brother and myself are all runners, and we all prefer a different brand of shoe.

Frenchy, you are in Canada, right? Go to a Running Room. They'll fit you with a pair of shoes, free. And all they carry are good brands.

You can also try running hills, which are a tad easier on the knees. Uphill is brutal, but great conditioning, and downhill makes for an easy way to do speed training.

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

wolf_2099 wrote:It does, however, get your body ramped up for a longer period of time, burning more calories. It also very much helps improve your endurance.

Anything longer than 20 minutes or so, and you start burning muscle as well as fat.

That fat burning zone, heart rate, and calories burned thing on exercise machines is bullshit, along with those electric fat % scales.
the fat burning zone stuff is genuine, when your heart is close to its max the strain on the other systems mean your body cannot burn as much fat as is necessary and gets all its energy from other sources before canabalizing muscle tissue. A slower genteler pace allows more fat to be burned.

I think your makin the mistake of comparing what most people here are tryin to do (lose weight, get abit fitter) with your own MMA training which requires your aerobic fitness to be high and the weightloss is merely a biproduct of that.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

You might be right CBKA, but it is also some strongman training.

It really does work though, and well.

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

Yeah i know i used to do similar stuff a few years back when i used to do boxing training. I tried to start againg late last year on a similar training plan after 3 years of gettin fat in a desk job and lasted about 2 weeks before my body and mind quit on me.

I'm startin again next week but alot slower but focusin on a slower loner pace to build a stronger aerobic capacity and some of the muscle i have lost before i push myself.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Jogging! Tomorrow! Me! Roar!

Python

Post by Python »

Now that spring is here, I should get back into doing it three times a week.

I do hate jogging, though. I would much rather prefer to play football.
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad: