The Wulfs Den

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

My post prom another board about the Calgary con this weekend.

I worked with Major comics for the con, booth 609. They had 12 booths for comics, and sold a variety of modern, silver age and $2 comics. We set-up Thursday, and saw Harley pretty much buy everything in the show that was a good deal, along with a couple other dealers.

It was a long day, and I had to leave at 4 for my girlfriends Birthday, but the show looked great.

Friday I had some running around to do before the show opened, to set-up and do a couple things for myself, including getting a quick George Perez sketch. Sales on Friday were great, the show floor was packed, and all in all a great time was had. I also met boardie gyro-1, which was nice, and got to thank him for finding me a spinner rack. Unfortunately, we were so busy I didn’t get much of a chance to chat, I was pretty out of it all day dealing with the people.

Saturday I was supposed to do the 45 minute Stan Lee meet and greet with 10 people. Unfortunately due to signings/photo ops running long, it was cancelled/post poned. Sharon and Chandler and Desert Wind tried very hard to try and arrange some time that would work for me, since I was so busy at the booth. I did get a few minutes Saturday to get my books signed with Stan Lee, which was fantastic. During this time, I actually got to speak very briefly with Adam West and Patrick Stewart, which was very cool. While I didn’t get the chance to speak with him, I really have to applaud desert wind for trying to work with one person, while they had thousands more to deal with. Really, really great people, I can’t say enough good things.

Saturday around 1 I believe the Fire Marshal shut down the con, causing all the aforementioned problems. We saw a pretty big lull in the booth, and a lot of smaller media guests did as well, as everyone who wanted to see them had, and everyone else was locked out. Several exhibitors were not allowed re-entry as well. People stepping outside for a smoke were not told they were allowed back in. Also, advance ticket holders were locked out, but people buying passes seemed to be let in. It very much a mess. Eventually they started letting 100 people in every 15 minutes. The dealer floor was never very busy. I had heard this shut down was in some part played by a child having a meltdown in the media guest hall. I also made my only purchase of the show, a batman bathrobe.

Sunday morning rolled around and the entrance to the con was huge. The line-up to buy tickets before the show opened must have been a couple thousand anyways, by 11am they had stopped selling tickets till the afternoon. I actually found the show busier than Sunday. Business was great Sunday as well, and busy all day long.

This was by far my least productive con, I got perhaps 15 books signed, 1 sketch, and no books outside the few I got from the guys I was working for.
The convention defiantly grew a little too fast this year, as the convention defiantly couldn’t handle both Stan Lee and TNG cast. I spoke to many, many angry people over the weekend, that lost a lot of money spent. However, everyone who didn’t suffer from the lockout seemed to have a fantastic time.

I am really interested to see what they follow up with next year.
I also got a boardie a Mark Texeria Ghost Rider blank done, which turned out great.

I left out some details about DWC and the Stan Lee thing from there, since I wasn't sure if they'd want it posted publicly.

I'll elaborate here, later.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Meeting Adam West sounds like a wet dream come true (for me anyway).

Overall the Con sounded like tons of fun, glad you enjoyed yourself. Regarding the Fire Marshall shutting down the con and preventing people from entering, I'm seeing a bit of a trend here, (not that 2 instances count as a trend) but I'm hoping these venues will have a better handle on it the next time. It really would suck to pay for a ticket and then be refused entry - ontop of which watching as late-to-the-party-people buying tickets at the door and being let in.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

A sketch and some signed comics from the show!
Image Image

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

My parents house has the front door kicked in last night and the house ransacked.

Among things they took, were a short box of Silver Age comics, including a bunch of my early Marvels, mostly X-Men, nothing really high value, but it adds up.

Now I have to fly home and figure out exactly what they took, joyous day.
Luckily I have a pretty complete list, and pretty sure I have scans of some of the comics. Hopefully insurance will cover it.

Time to start calling store to tell them to be on the look out for guys selling them.

I got really lucky here, as I had just pulled all my 1K+ books out and brought them with me to Calgary when I was last home so I'd have time to go through and properly grade and evaluate them.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'm very very sorry to hear about that. I hope your parents are doing ok and that there wasn't much damage to their home. I'm also sorry to hear about your books and I hope you and your parents manage to track things down.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The bedrooms were tossed, the main floor not so bad.

Apparently a bunch of my comic boxers were dumped, as well.

The master bedroom is a mess.

The entire front door was kicked in, it wouldn't close/

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Oh wow, so sorry to hear this!

XIII

Post by XIII »

Sorry to hear about that. I hope the losses are not too huge.
My parent's house was burglarized last year so I can relate. It's a shitty feeling.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII

Post by XIII »

Great page!

MGM

Post by MGM »

Shit to hear about your parents. They're okay, I presume?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

So sorry to hear about your parents home and the loss of your property. How are you and your parents holding up? They weren't at home when it happened right?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

My parents are okay, and they weren't home.
My Dad was here in Calgary.
My mom was a little shaken up, but everyone is all good.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

1/200 AND 1/250 SKETCH COVERS!
Does anyone want a copy of the Shadow 1? I have 200....

XIII

Post by XIII »

Who did the first one?
I can't believe you actually bought 200 copies of the same comics to get a variant cover.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Jae lee and Alex Ross.

I didn't really order 200 just for a variant.
All 200 Alex Ross and 218 jar lee varients were hand drawn, not printed.
All of Alex Ross ones are different.

Ross nor lee sketch at connections and saw this as a good opportunity to get sketches from guys I really like with a character I love.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I also didn't get 200 of the same! I got fifty or 4 covers.
And 6 1/25 3 1/50 and 1/200

Yes it is absurd.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Well quick, put them all on ebay before they loose their value.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:Well quick, put them all on ebay before they loose their value.
They lost value before they were released.
People were selling shitloads of sets as pre-orders to get these.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Cameron - the master of comic swag.

Nice loot dude!