The Wallstreet Book Review vol. III

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

XIII

Post by XIII »

Am reading "The cold six thousand" by Ellroy. Started immediately after finishing "American Tabloid".
Now I want to read/see all I can about the Kennedys.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Finally, Finally finished reading Magician: Master. Very well written & very enjoyable book. There were a few twists and turns that I anticipated but that didn't take anything away from the story.
Spoilers below:

The one thing I wasn't sure of was what Martin Longbow, the Duke's illegimate first son would do in the end. Would he stake a claim for his birthright as for the throne as the firstborn or step aside for his younger brother? The short piece kept me on the edge of my seat.

A question about the Riftwar Saga: Magician: Apprentice & Master are the first two parts and seemingly self-contained. What about Silverthorn & A Darkness at Sethanon? Do they pick up where the Magician books left off or do they continue in a different vein altogether? And more importantly, if you've read them, are they any good?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm still waiting for The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearny to arrive, in the interim I am reading a noir novel by Peter Robinson, another British writer. If you like Ian Rankin, I'd reccomend Peter Robinson

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Haven't updated this in a real long time
But I've been reading fairl regularly and the only books that stand out are the ones i read recently:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Hunger Games

Dragon Tattoo was very good. I read the last several chapters without stopping.

Similary, The Hunger Games was very well done also. People were complaining that it's a knock of Battle Royale but a good book, is a good book. Granted I had seen the film first but as always there was a ton more detail and character motivation in book that was not present in the film that helped fill in the blanks during several WTF moments in the film

Next book I'm reading is Assassins Code by Jonathan Maberry. He writes horror/zombie/action stories and is currently working for marvel on one of their marvel zombies titles. I can't reccomened Maberry highly enough. Even if you're not into horror or zombies, his stories still offer plenty in the way of interesting characters and plot points. Give him a try.

The next book on my list is Game of Thrones. I'll be going through the Tatto, Hunger Games & Thrones trilogy

XIII

Post by XIII »

Games of Thrones is not a trilogy. It's already up to 5 books and will have 2 more.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I did not know that. Thanks.

I plan to read one book per series then switch over

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:Games of Thrones is not a trilogy. It's already up to 5 books and will have 2 more.
Most likely 3.
2 is a wish that won't happen, there is too much plot left for 2 books.

It was originally a trilogy.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

Oh, and Dragon Tatoo 1 is much better than the second book in the serie.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Anyone else think George R.R. Martin is going to die before he completes his epic?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Anyone else think George R.R. Martin is going to die before he completes his epic?
Undoubtedly in my mind.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Has anyone read anything by Reginald Hill? He writes crime noir. I've just recently discovered him

MGM

Post by MGM »

Never heard of him. Are his books any good?