Stranger things

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

MGM

Stranger things

Post by MGM »

Surely everyone has watchied it by now?

I liked it quite a lot. It's very charming. It does have it's (80's) flaws, but overall it's obviously much better than an actual 80's show or movie.

Tragic Angelus

Re: Stranger things

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I really, really enjoyed it. My only complaint had to do with the creature honestly. I'm interested to see what they do with a second season, but I kind of hope it's more like an anthology series than a continuation.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

It's a continuation, I believe. They had something like 30 pages on the creature, etc to go from there.

This entire show brought back memories of riding my bike to the video rental store to rent horror movies as a kid, and that is a great thing.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/str ... -season-2/

MGM

Post by MGM »

I've never seen The Goonies, but from what I hear from others I suppose this is what the feel of that movie must be like. Along with E.T., of course.

How come people always say Spielbergian and actually only mean those two movies?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

People told me it had some ET and Goonies, but I felt like it was more Poltergeist in terms of Spielberg.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yeah, it was 'creepier' than I thought it'd be. Not a bad thing, BTW.

Too bad these kind of shows (I'm looking at Wayward Pines as well) can't seem to stop after just one (or maybe two) great season(s). In the end, it'll be not nearly as good as the start. But who knows, maybe it'll remain great.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, that's why I would almost wish they'd go anthology rather than continuation, so it's something new and not as directly comparable to a previous season.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yeah. That worked out great for True Detective. :D

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

MGM wrote:Yeah, it was 'creepier' than I thought it'd be. Not a bad thing, BTW.

Too bad these kind of shows (I'm looking at Wayward Pines as well) can't seem to stop after just one (or maybe two) great season(s). In the end, it'll be not nearly as good as the start. But who knows, maybe it'll remain great.

They envisioned the series as an 8 hour movie, which helped.

I'm just not sure what they can do for a sequel.

I find with horror things like this, the ambienece is gone in the sequel, so they almost need to go what aliens and T2 did, and move to more of an action idea, than suspense/thriller.

Even by the end of this season a lot of the suspense was gone for, once we knew what the monster was and why it was there.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Did we? I think I kinda missed the why and what of the monster.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

That we didn't get, but we got enough of the other side, and the monster to lose a bit of suspense for me.
There are more answers that need to be had, but it would take a lot of great writing to build up the same suspense for me when we already know where the monster is from and what it's like (kind of).

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I never watched True Detective. But while I understand that the anthology doesn't always work, I felt like it worked well in American Horror Story for me for a few years. And yeah I felt like we got enough about the other side that it explained some of the monster. I didn't like how the monster looked though. I kept expecting something more than just a venus fly trap for a mouth honestly. That was my only let down of the whole show.

In terms of characters, I felt like the sheriff was the most enjoyable character and I'd like to see more of him.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I guess when they were trying to sell the show, every other network told them they had to re-write the show to centre around the sheriff, as no one would ewatch a show about kids.
I like the way I did it, but I agree, the sheriff was the most enjoyable.

MGM

Post by MGM »

He was the one with the most character arc, and yes, he was by far the best character in it.

Nevertheless, I liked the kids and how simplified their look at everything was. A show with kids taking place in these times would have them brooding and do stupid shit. These kids did stupid shit, but it at least was completely relatable.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I agree. The kids were very relatable. Even the fight the two had seemed like a real fight between kids of that age, along with the way they came back together. But I am glad that the sheriff played a larger role than originally intended apparently.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I was very leery of watching another "nostalgic" kids drama set in the 80s. I didn't really like film Super 8 that much either but after hearing near universal glowing reviews, I think I'll give it a shot

XIII

Post by XIII »

Finally got round to watching this show and I loved it. It had a Stephen King's vibe. It's great how some of the characters are evolving during the course of the 8 episodes (the sheriff who looks at 1st like a lazy do-no-good and turns out to be the star, and the boyfriend who from high school bully to really likeable, very courageous). The kids are good too, Dustin being the one I liked most.
Season 2 is mostly a mirror of season 1 so far (I'm 6 episodes into it) but I'm still enjoying very much.
Unless the ending of season 2 is a huge letdown, I'll be there for season 3.

(and yeah, I'm digging up old threads but I'm finally catching on other stuff than Marvel TV shows...)