Suicide Squad reviews

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

Suicide Squad reviews

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Suicide Squad has long been believed to be the film that would revitalize DC's lagging box office performance after Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. However, Suicide Squad has been getting pummeled by early reviews from multiple sources as well as on Rotten Tomatoes.

On Rotten Tomatoes in particular it's gotten bad enough that some fans have gotten a petition together with thousands of signatures (if the Internet is to be believed) to ban Rotten Tomatoes. The petitioners claim that either a) marvel fans clog up the site with purposely negative views and/or b) Rotten Tomatoes is in Marvel's pocket and this is another attempt to bring down a DC franchise film.

Personally I think it's mostly bullshit, however, I will concede that i do think RT has trolls lurking (with no official affiliation to Marvel directly or indirectly) for the sole purpose of bringing down DC's rating.

I would be genuinely shocked if Suicide Squad is not a critical & commercial success.

wolf_2099

Re: Suicide Squad reviews

Post by wolf_2099 »

I think it will be a commercial success, but the complaints I have heard are the same ones I have had myself, going in, so I will wait and see.

I am still going to see it regardless of reviews.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I don't consider myself a casual superhero(movie) fan and the trailers have not wowed me whatsoever. Also, most characters are (to me) dull as shit. So yeah, I'm not expecting much from the story. I'm sure it'll be entertaining. Probably more than the previous DC movies, but there's no way it suddenly is great after all the shitfests DC's put out so far.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

For me I'm kind of expecting this to end up like Guardians of the Galaxy. No real characters I care about at all, but a (hopefully) decent 2 hours spent watching them somehow pull of their mission. I'm not overly excited to see this one, and I may not see it right away but so far I'll admit it looks to be the best of the DC movies that have come out so far. I also won't be surprised if it just doesn't do much for me. I still think Wonder Woman will end up being the one that's actually a great movie, but I think this one might not be as bad as the rest just yet.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I do kind of question if it will be considered really good, because the bar has been set so low for DC movies, and people just want to clong to something that isn't a piece of shit.

That turned out far more negative than I thought it would.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

My grade D-
Spoilers below...

My initial thoughts.

The previews made this movie look completely different than it was. I don't need or want to know the entire plot of the film, but the actual movie bared no resemblance to what I expected. The feel of the trailer was very different than the movie I watched.

I felt the Joker was overly shew horned into the film, and honestly not all that good.

Some of the Suicide Squad I felt did well, Will Smith, Margot Robie, but some felt extremely out of place. Captain Boomerang for one, how would he even end up on that team?

The fact they mentioned the suicide squad staying dark, and out of the spotlight, then sending them into a world ending fight for their first mission seemed absurd.

The entire villain and third act seemed absurd too, and poorly thought out. She was so powerful, then they had to "do-power" (if she had done what she had shown herself capable of earlier, she would have slaughtered them) her to give the "heroes" a shot. Sloppy, shitty writing. The world ending events need to end.

Also, Amanda Waller not realizing, or ignoring the second idol also being a host to a major power, and just carrying it around wit her seemed idiotic.

I'd say DC just destroyed any real shot of having a good movie franchise.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Just got home from it, and I'm still trying to make up my mind on this. It wasn't a terrible movie but it wasn't all that great either. One of the more fun DC movies but nothing spectacular.

The Suicide Squad against a magical foe made no sense to me. Katana seemed severely underused. Leto's Joker came off more annoying. The Brother looked identical to The Destroyer from the first Thor film. El Diablo was the only one I really liked.

Honestly, I wish we'd finally gotten a sequel to The Losers than this one.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yes, but Idris Elba is a Marvel guy now. ;)

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Sure, but he's dead by the end of the first one anyway!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I liked it. I thought it was a good movie but not great. I was expecting to love it as much as I loved Guardians of the Galaxy and I F'ing loved GotG.

I think the main flaw was that the movie's main villain was too over the top cosmicy. I know Waller's idea was that "what if Superman turned bad so we need bad guys to take him down" but with the exception of June Moon these guys ain't gonna be able to do shit against Superman. The Guardians of the Galaxy fighting a cosmic bad guy fits because the cosmicness is built into their story. These are street level guys, their main villain should be in their lane. Anyway that's all folks. That was my one main gripe with the film. I thought they could have done without Killer Croc because they didn't seem all that useful. I didnt mind Captain Boomerang but I didn't care for the actor playing him. The Fire guy was very "meh".

Deadshot, Harley, & Joker in his limited appearance stole the show. I was surprised how much I liked Will Smith as Deadshot. Flagg & Waller were great too.

I just hated the main villain. She was stupid.