Marvel: Phase 3

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

jedispyder

Marvel: Phase 3

Post by jedispyder »

Captain America: Civil War - May 6, 2016.

Doctor Strange - November 4, 2016 (directed by Scott Derrickson.)

The Guardians of the Galaxy sequel - May 5, 2017.

Thor: Ragnarok - July 28, 2017.

Black Panther - November 3, 2017. (Played by Chadwick Boseman)

Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) - July 6, 2018.

The Inhumans - November 2, 2018.

Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 - May 4, 2018.

Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 - May 3, 2019.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Apparently, Benedict Crumberbach is Dr. Strange.

I'm pretty excited at all this!

MGM

Post by MGM »

It looks good, but it's too bad we get pretty much all known characters before any new ones (yeah, yeah, Strange). Also, could care less about the Inhumans (I suppose we need them for the Avengers two-parter?). And no Black Widow?

What's the Infinity War about again?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Also, I can't shake the feeling this is only in response to the DC schedule (and the public push for non-white and non-male leads).

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I don't think releasing 2 movies featuring non-white/ male characters as leads, 10 years after their initial launch of movies is Marvel caving in to public pressure for minority based movies.

However, I do agree the overall schedule is more reactionary than anything else. I feel like DC has much bigger obstacles to overcome. Marvel is firmly established as a movie making power house.

DC has failed with Constantine, V for Vendetta, Catwoman, Green Lantern & Superman Returns. Watchmen did alright and Man of Steel did well financially but received mixed reviews. DCs only solid win has been the Nolan Batman franchise. Affleck's Batman is an undetermined quantity, so it should be DC scrambling to impress the public, not Marvel.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

A Black Panther film/appearance in one of the other films seems to have been on Marvel's minds for ages. The same is probably also true for any female lead, since they don't seem too keen on the idea of a Black Widow solo - probably because Cap kind of fills the role she could bring in a solo film.

Marvel have likely had their movie schedule planned for ages, so whilst it's release might be reactionary to DC's schedule release, the formation of it is unlikely to be reactionary.

I don't see it as Marvel trying to impress. Simply Marvel keeping in the news.

On a related note, it looks like Agents of SHIELD might be jumping from the 'C title' I branded it with ages ago, which was defined as unable to have any effect on the 'A titles', i.e. the film. Consequently, in Marvel's TV and Film universe they essentially make it clear to their viewers that the C title doesn't matter since it can't influence the films. Well, the internet seems convinced that Marvel will do the leg work for the Kree and the Inhumans in Agents of SHIELD, thus elevating Agents of SHIELD to, let's say 'B title'. :-)

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

All these dates had already been announced but they were listed as "TBA" for the most part. I think it was released before DC did their announcement, so Marvel decided to one-up DC once again.