New Media Delivery Format's

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

New Media Delivery Format's

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The Powers live action tv show that was originally going to premier on FX but is now being produced through SONY. I was unaware that SONY was into making tv shows. With the emergence and success of Netflix, Hulu. Redbox, Rodu and a slew of other digital and online media it seems inevitable (retrospect) that other companies would get into it.

By making their own shows and distributing them online, you can bypass the beurocracy of network televisions/affiliates & network politics.

I'm looking forward to it

Oh and Sharlto Copley has been cast as Christian Walker, Susan Heyward as Deena Pilgrim and Michelle Forbes as Retro Girl.

Copley, to me, doesn't look big enough to play Walker, but I think he's a great actor so I'll give him a chance

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Isn't this going to be available on the PlayStation3 Network? How does one watch it without a PS3? Or is there another service you can use, like potentially Netflix down the line?

I've not read Powers before, but I liked the concept when I read up on it. And once Eddie Izzard was cast I actually really wanted to watch it but don't have a way to do so.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Yes you do. Buy a Playstation. ;)

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

It's a similar situation with Community on Yahoo!, no one even knew Yahoo! was doing their own video system until it was announced. I wouldn't be surprised if companies started breaking out of the usual Network TV. Just look at all the shows that were cancelled but resurrected by another Network.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

XIII wrote:Yes you do. Buy a Playstation. ;)
But.. those cost money!

XIII

Post by XIII »

And that's what you work for. To earn money so you can buy things.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Wait.

So I'd have to buy a PS3 to be able to watch Powers?

That seems wrong.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

That's what I'm wondering. Do you have to have a PS3 or could I just get an account with Sony like Netflix and watch it that way?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Worst case scenario there's always other methods of...acquiring...it. Just like the people who can watch Netflix only shows when they don't have Netflix and the dvd hasn't been made yet.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I have no facts to back this up but I think it'll be available on the PS network which you may be able to access without a PlayStation. From a business standpoint it wouldn't make sense for PS to make you buy a $400 game system just to watch 1 TV show, especially if they are trying to get into the TV show making market.

Most people wouldn't spend that kind money on an unknown product, however, they may be relying on their existing fanbase - who already have PS's to watch the show via the PS network.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Yeah, even if it's only on the PS, you'll still be able to see it. I mean, I don't have Netflix but still have seen the first season of House of Cards anyway.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Right, but I'd like to watch it as it airs as well. Otherwise I'll probably end up waiting until either it A) wraps completely or B) someone has it all saved and I can get over to their place and binge watch a season.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Illegal download are usually available in the hour following the airing of the programm...

MGM

Post by MGM »

Not a problem here, either.