Veronica Mars

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

jedispyder

Veronica Mars

Post by jedispyder »

Caught the midnight showing, it was spectacular! They made it so it would be satisfying to fans and non-fans alike, just with the fans getting the in-jokes (to non-fans it's normal dialog).

MGM

Post by MGM »

Nice! It probably won't make it to theaters in Holland, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I know they got it into German & Sweden but I don't think they did for Holland.

It is however available for digital download today as well. They hit all platforms on the release date to get it across the globe since mainly the US, Canada, and UK got the film version.

My Kickstarter rewards included a DVD version, which means I also get the digital download for free. I'm downloading it now and going to see it tonight with some friends. But this way I can watch it now whenever I want until the DVDs ship later on this year.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Can't wait either!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

It was good. Soooooooo good. I've been home for 15 minutes and I'm already thinking it's time to watch it again. On my computer. For Free. All night.

MGM

Post by MGM »

It only plays one time here.

But I downloaded it last night and it was good. It wasn't great, but it was an extra long episode and a compressed season in one. It was nice to see it again after all this time. The FBI joke was amusing.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I loved all the in-jokes.

Estimates are it made $1million on Friday (plus Thursday night's 2 showings) with predictions of $3million for the weekend. I'm thinking of seeing it again in theatres (I do have the digital download but seeing it with other fans was great).

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I must admit I saw little promotion done for it, here at least, so I assume the majority of people who went to see it were fans. I don't think I saw a trailer on another film and I never saw it on TV. I'm sure that will hurt a bit but that's still half the budget from kickstarter so that's good.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Did any notice there were no trailers before it either?

It made 2mil box office, no word on VOD though.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

We had trailers in my theater.

MGM

Post by MGM »

What were the costs again? Because let's face it, they set up so that there is a definite possibility for more movies.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

They requested 2 million from kickstarter & got 5.7 million. However, I read a report where Warner Bros. refused to comment on whether any addition studio funding occurred. So it's possible more was added. But those extra donations allowed for wider release and additional cameos from cast members.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

WB covered the cost of the reshoots. Final budget was 6 million.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

We had the usual 15-20 minutes of trailers in front of the screening so nothing unusual for my theatre.

They did say if they do make a sequel, they won't go through Kickstarter/crowdraising again.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

One thing to note about the release: While it went to just under 300 theaters, all of those theaters were owned by AMC apparently. So if a city didn't have an AMC theater, it didn't get it. That definitely plays into the returns for box office, even though AMC is pretty widely spaced across the country.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

It played at cineplex here.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Really? I think in the US it was only released to AMC theaters. International would be a different ball game though.

And I've not read for sure, but I'm assuming the $2 million is both US & International? Even though it was only in I believe Canada, England, Germany, and Ireland if I recall, I'd like to think it would've made a little more than just 2 million USD.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Usually only domestic totals are reported with international being a separate thing all-together (BoxOfficeMojo usually displays both). It may be different here so who knows, it's not a typical release.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

So did those of you who donated to the Kickstarter get your swag in the mail? I'm donated through the Kickstarter but can't remember how much, but im certain it was enough for a DVD whenever it was supposed to come out.

XIII

Post by XIII »

If you go back to the kickstarter website, you can see how much you pledged and what reward you're supposed to get.