X-Men: First Class Trailer

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

X-Men: First Class Trailer

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/02/10/fi ... r-arrives/

I haven't seen it myself yet because my computer is all screwy.

Thoughts?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I actually thought it looked really good, which surprised me considering the production hell it's apparently been having.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, it did not look bad to me. It's set in the 60s, so it includes altering historical events with Mutant involvement the way Wolverine did with Three Mile Island. And some of the effects don't look too bad. I'm still wary of some of the continuity issues (Havok on the team before Scott, Emma, etc) but those are things you kind of just have to suck up at times with comic movies.

I'm still not getting James McAvory as Xavier though. Is it just me?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Yeah, it did not look bad to me. It's set in the 60s, so it includes altering historical events with Mutant involvement the way Wolverine did with Three Mile Island. And some of the effects don't look too bad. I'm still wary of some of the continuity issues (Havok on the team before Scott, Emma, etc) but those are things you kind of just have to suck up at times with comic movies.

I'm still not getting James McAvory as Xavier though. Is it just me?
It's not, he doesn't seem right.

I'm okay with the continuity, for what they wanted to do it works. They're never going to make enough movies to really go through all the characters so if they want to switch up the time frame, go for it.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Ignoring how fucking shitty of a choice the characters are (Havok? wtf?) but as an X-Men Movie Prequel it looks interesting.

And you're right, James McAvory doesn't exactly fit as Xavier. At all.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

That's my biggest complaint. He comes off totally the opposite of Xavier. I can't say I know the guy playing Magneto, but some shots he really seems to portray a younger version of Magneto, from visual to poise and all. But I just don't get that from McAvory

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

He has more of a fierce gaze than a sympathetic gaze. Xavier needs to look sympathetic to everyone.

XIII

Post by XIII »

This movie looks quite alright to me. Can't be worse than X3 or Wolverine.

Looks miles better than Green Lantern!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I thought the trailer was really good. I don't have a problem with James McAvory as Xavier. Yeah Xavier looks sympathetic now I imagine in his youth he was intense and eager to change the world. Like all young people I suppose.

My only problem with the GL trailer is the costume itself...Which may be all the important parts of the film. But I feel Ryan Reynolds is just a good comedic actor as he is dramatic actor or in an action role. I think he'll balance it out pretty well. But again, the main problem with the GL film is the costume. GL has great CGI & actors.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I'm pleasantly surprised by the trailer like the rest of you. There is something about McAvoy that just doesn't seem to fit well. Can't quite pinpoint it myself. Hopefully it will work out though.

Quite liked the Beast look. Looks like a big improvement on the minimalist job done in X3.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

The only thing that can will and does bug me is the continuity in this. Yes Havok is in this movie, but he is Scott's father in this, not his brother.
All Will be Well!

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Oh really?

That's kind of interesting. Makes the movie-lore a bit more fascinating.