NBC picks up Wonder Woman tv show

Movies that suck. Music that rocks. Books and Games, it's all right here.

Moderator: MGM

Mr Wallstreet

NBC picks up Wonder Woman tv show

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

David E. Kelly, creator of The Practice, Ally McBeal & Boston Legal pitched a pilot for a new Wonder Woman tv series & it was picked up by NBC. Kelly is pretty good at writing drama (though most of it courtroom).

Kelly's Wonder Woman script will deviate from the traditional comics character in several ways. Diana will be a corporate executive of some sort & will be trying to balance her work life with her "extraordinary responsibilities". The premise sounds pretty sketchy but I'm willing to give Kelly a chance.

The second announcement is that McG: Director of Charlie's Angels i &2, Terminator Salvation, Stay Alive and a number of B action & horror flicks.

This second bit of news gives pause to what is already a shaky plot for a character that historically hasn't done so well.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Um, what about McG? Is he set to direct episodes or write some? You didn't actually say.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sorry, he'll be directing the first few episodes from what Newsarama has reported. Again, McG's filmography leaves something to be desired. His films weren't all terrible but most of them were very generic, quickly forgettable action or horror films. Of all his films I'd say the only one that really stunk was Charlies Angles 2. CA 1 was bearable.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I he's also a producer on Supernatural, Chuck, and Human Target. While he has a diminished role there I'm sure, at least most of those have some kind of tie into what he'll be doing on WW. I suppose we can just hope for the best.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Sounds awful to me.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Gotta agree with Arn, doesn't sound that good. They ignore the whole premise of what makes Diana Diana.

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

how is it they are ignoring the whole premise of making Diana, Diana? they did not say they are droping the amazonian art of her story, I think they are trying to make it like the old tv show, where she has a secret ID. I am fine with it untill they say she is not the "champion of the amazons" then I will have a problem.......unless she is hot. if she is hot I will watch it anyway
All Will be Well!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sandman wrote:I am fine with it untill they say she is not the "champion of the amazons" then I will have a problem.......unless she is hot. if she is hot I will watch it anyway
:iagree:

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Elizabeth Hurley has been cast as the villain in the upcoming Wonder Woman television show. Looks like WB trying to add a bit of star power to the show after receiving a less than warm reception after breaking the news about the shows premise. No word so far on who the villain will be.

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/Elizabeth ... ry-7994913
A "Wonder Woman" film is also being developed by Warner Bros. Pictures and is as of now set for release in 2013, according to preliminary casting lists. "Mad Men" star Christina Hendricks has expressed interest in the project.
Aaaaaaand it looks like WB is back for making a WW film.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

brief Interview with David E. Kelly about his Wonder Woman tv show.
Kelley spoke with Vulture about his lengthy career, both the ups and downs, but managed to get in a little information about the inception of his Wonder Woman project for NBC. He said in the beginning he said no to working on the show for obvious reasons. “It’s not really what I do; it’s not a genre that’s in my wheelhouse,” he said, “But then I started thinking about, What if there were such a person in today’s world and what must it be like to be her? And I was imagining the sense of social isolation that she must feel, that she indeed would probably be a rather complicated beast.”

“When I started thinking about all the complications and potential layers to this superhero, I just got more and more intrigued. It was also something I was a little bit afraid of. That’s good, too,” said Kelley, suggesting that writers need to get out of their comfort zones once in a while.

And with that, he jumped head first out of his comfort zone. “I did not truthfully commit to doing it until I wrote the script. I was going to try writing it, and if I failed on my own terms, I would say no. If I thought, Yeah, this is something I believe in, then I’d turn it in. And it was something I ultimately did get behind. It was hard, but I had a good time writing it. And Warner Bros. and DC both responded very positively.”

As to the casting of Adrianne Palicki in the title role, Kelley said although it was a challenge, the process didn’t take very long. “After writing this script, I remember looking at several people and going, ‘Yeah, now good luck trying to find her.’ She’s got to be strong, smart, emotionally accessible — and oh yeah, an Amazon! Good luck,” he said.

With all that in mind, Kelley was prepared to go with an actress who didn’t quite look the role if it meant she encapsulated everything else. “I remember speaking to DC, and saying, ‘We may have to compromise on the physicality. We need to go with the best actress. And if the best actress is five-foot-five, we have to be open to that, because there’s too many layers for this character to also demand that she be nearly six feet tall.’ And then lo and behold, in comes this girl named Adrianne Palicki.”

“I had seen her on Friday Night Lights and I always liked her work, but I didn’t get a sense of her stature. I guess she was sitting down in a lot of the scenes,” said Kelley, “So she stood up, and we met — eyeball to eyeball — she smiled … and I knew during the course of the conversation that this was Wonder Woman. I just knew it. I had an instinctive feeling that this was her. So then she read. And she was. And she is.”
http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/03/24/da ... der-woman/

Thoughts?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

The costume to me still looks like a Halloween costume more than anything else. It really resembles the current redesign/alteration that she's in and that's not exactly a bad thing, as I've gotten more comfortable with it, but the bright blue pants bother me. I'd rather her be in the black ones if they're going for full length pants. But I suppose like the GL Movie costume, lighting and motion may add to it and make it more believable and worthwhile. I'll still watch the first episode or so, but my hopes aren't too high.

Also, with Elwes as her 'Steve Trevor' type of character and Elizabeth Hurley as the villain it sounds like they're trying to bring in some star power, but who would Hurley be? Someone new or someone like Circe?

XIII

Post by XIII »

It needs to have a zipper on the crotch.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Seriously? Is that costume vinyl? Shiny vinyl?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

It looks similar to the Slutty Robin costume that hot girls wear for Halloween. Definitely not something you'd wear in a tv show.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

jedispyder wrote:It looks similar to the Slutty Robin costume that hot girls wear for Halloween. Definitely not something you'd wear in a tv show.
Have you heard anything about the TV show?

It seems to fit properly when given that description.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The Wonder Woman costume has been updated. The cheap vinyl pants have been replaced with what look like pants made from cloth.

Images up at newsarama
http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia ... 095&page=6

The costume still looks cheap so I can't decide if this wardrobe change is a good thing, bad thing or irrelevant. This could mostly be moot if the show is a critical sucess. There have been some shows that had some of the shittiest production values around but had fantastic stories which more than made up for it.

Thoughts?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

It's at least better now. As you said, still shitty, but more normal than before...

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:The Wonder Woman costume has been updated. The cheap vinyl pants have been replaced with what look like pants made from cloth.

Images up at newsarama
http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia ... 095&page=6

The costume still looks cheap so I can't decide if this wardrobe change is a good thing, bad thing or irrelevant. This could mostly be moot if the show is a critical sucess. There have been some shows that had some of the shittiest production values around but had fantastic stories which more than made up for it.

Thoughts?
Looks like a 50's superhero, ala The Twelve.

Still not good, but better.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Definitely better. The stars down the side of the pants.. I can't tell if I like them or not yet. It at least evokes the stars on her ..well.. 'pants' in her traditional costume, and it helps to break up the bland all blue pants she had. Maybe just some pipping down the sides would be better? I don't know. And I agree, the cloth looks much better than the vinyl. Though I'm still not overly impressed.

But if it works, then it works. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

And I just now noticed, the original pants had stars as well, you can just barely see them in the photo they released.