Teen homeschooler jailed under Patriot Act

The infinite quest for knowledge and wisdom. Come on in and debate.

Moderator: Junkogen

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/gFVQ0 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/gFVQ0 ... 1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>
HOMELAND INSECURITY
FBI holds 10th-grader for months with little contact from family

Posted: May 04, 2009
8:31 pm Eastern

© 2009 WorldNetDaily

A 16-year-old homeschooled boy from North Carolina was taken away from his home in handcuffs two months ago and has been held by the FBI in Indiana ever since, a victim, his mother claims, of the Patriot Act spun out of control.

According to Annette Lundeby of Oxford, N.C., armed FBI agents and local police stormed her home around 10 p.m. on March 5, looking for her son, Ashton. The officers presented a federal search warrant and seized the tenth-grader's computer, cell phone and bank statements.

Ashton was then taken to a juvenile facility in South Bend, Ind., charged with making a bomb threat in Indiana from his home computer.

His mother, however, told Raleigh's WRAL-TV that she argued with the authorities, claiming someone must have hacked into her son's IP address and used it to make crank calls. The agents' search, she claims, also failed to uncover any trace of bomb-making materials.

"Undoubtedly, they were given false information," Lundeby told the station, "or they would not have had 12 agents in my house with a widow and two children and three cats."

Allowed little access to see her son over the last two months, facing a court date that keeps being pushed back and given no information by FBI agents sitting behind a gag order on the case, Lundeby now says the USA Patriot Act has unjustly imprisoned an innocent boy and stripped her son of due process.

"We have no rights under the Patriot Act to even defend them, because the Patriot Act basically supersedes the Constitution," she told WRAL-TV. "It wasn't intended to drag your barely 16-year-old, 120-pound son out in the middle of the night on a charge that we can't even defend."

Passed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, the USA Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism – or P.A.T.R.I.O.T. – Act armed law enforcement with new tools to detect and prevent terrorism. Among other measures, it better enables interagency cooperation and allows law enforcement a wider array of technological and surveillance tools to more quickly and stealthily investigate terrorist threats.

Dan Boyse, a former U.S attorney not connected to the case, explained to WRAL-TV how Ashton Lundeby could have been swept up by the Patriot Act.

"They're saying that 'we feel this individual is a terrorist or an enemy combatant against the United States, and we're going to suspend all of those due process rights because this person is an enemy of the United States,'" Boyce told the station.

Boyce theorized that if an FBI agent came to the conclusion that Lundeby was a serious terrorist threat, the usual rules of law enforcement don't apply.

"There's nothing a matter of public record," Boyce said. "All those normal rights are just suspended in the air."

Ashton's mother told the television station, "Never in my worst nightmare did I ever think that it would be my own government that I would have to protect my children from. This is the United States, and I feel like I live in a third world country now."

According to the WRAL-TV report, because a federal judge has issued a gag order in the case, the U.S. attorney in Indiana cannot comment on Lundeby, nor can the FBI.
Source

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

while there are two sides to every story, you americans are fucking retarded.

The terrorists have already won, you are no longer free
:chewie:

Junkogen

Post by Junkogen »

CBKA wrote:while there are two sides to every story, you americans are fucking retarded.

The terrorists have already won, you are no longer free
England has cameras on all the streets and you still pay some frumpy old bitch and her family to live for free just because of some archaic birthright. That's just the tip of the iceberg. If Americans are retarded, you motherfuckers are lobotomized cavemen.

If you're a peasant like most of us are, you ain't free. But at least our buildings aren't being blown apart daily. And we're not being shot for calling Obama a tool. But I suppose if you push the envelope enough to where substantial change to the System would be achieved, you're bound to mothafuckin' drizzown with concrete Nikes.

Life is shit. Stop breeding. The gods are all assholes and people are selfish, bloodthirsty drones. :coffee:

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Fucking right! That women deserves to be tossed in the clink.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Someone on a different board just posted an article and even though the story is ENTIRELY different, I noticed that the names are strikingly similar. I think it might be the same people!! *adds worldnetdaily to mental list of whackjob websites*

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/0 ... call-star/
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

If you don't feel like reading the article, it states that he has indeed been charged with a federal crime and the patriot act has nothing whatsoever to do with his continued imprisonment.
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I'd consider wired the more legitimate source here.

Also, Shadowman, stop posting this stuff without posting your own thoughts on it, please.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

IrishCream

Post by IrishCream »

Did Junk actually defend the US?

*head explodes*
YA BETTA ASK SOMEBODDDAAAAAYYYYYYYY!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

Fasheem wrote:Someone on a different board just posted an article and even though the story is ENTIRELY different, I noticed that the names are strikingly similar. I think it might be the same people!! *adds worldnetdaily to mental list of whackjob websites*

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/0 ... call-star/
Why do you consider WorldNetDaily a "whackjob" website?
Fasheem wrote:If you don't feel like reading the article, it states that he has indeed been charged with a federal crime and the patriot act has nothing whatsoever to do with his continued imprisonment.
I have read that article before you posted it. The story is developing, and WorldNetDaily reported that the mother's claim that the Patriot Act was used has been rebutted as well.

Apparently, through public exposure, the trial date has been given after repeated delays. The government is acting like Ashton Lundeby is a terrorist when they knew the bomb threats were hoaxes. If guilty, Lundeby should be punished, but he has a right to a speedy trial.
wolf_2099 wrote:I'd consider wired the more legitimate source here.
Why?
wolf_2099 wrote:Also, Shadowman, stop posting this stuff without posting your own thoughts on it, please.
I can act as a messenger at anytime.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

ShadowMan wrote:I can act as a messenger at anytime.
But as we've stated before, describe your opinion of it instead of the just dropping it and walking away. We want your stance, aka we don't want a hit and run ordeal.

And truthfully? I'd accept Wired more as fact than this just because it's wider known. Same thing as you hear something on the news but think nothing of it until you hear it on CNN, cause then it's hot shit.

Python

Post by Python »

What does the kid being home-schooled have to do with anything?
MGM wrote:One day, I will find you, defeat you, dress you up in capris and then take photos of you. :mad:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

jedispyder wrote:But as we've stated before, describe your opinion of it instead of the just dropping it and walking away. We want your stance, aka we don't want a hit and run ordeal.
Quit trying to single me out. The French Biscuit, StoneTable, ChimeraCreative, CountD, William McDert, and CBKA have all posted threads in this forum without giving their opinion in the OP.
jedispyder wrote:And truthfully? I'd accept Wired more as fact than this just because it's wider known. Same thing as you hear something on the news but think nothing of it until you hear it on CNN, cause then it's hot shit.
Well, it was reported, according to the mother's account, that the Patriot Act was used. It was reported otherwise when the prosecutor rebutted the mother's claim. I even gave the news story, via YouTube, which supported what was understood at the time.
Python wrote:What does the kid being home-schooled have to do with anything?
Nothing, it was just being descriptive.

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

wow, can't beleive you actually went and checked all that.
:chewie:

Junkogen

Post by Junkogen »

ShadowMan wrote: I can act as a messenger at anytime.
:emoteHail::emoteHail::emoteHail::emoteHail:

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

ShadowMan wrote:Quit trying to single me out. The French Biscuit, StoneTable, ChimeraCreative, CountD, William McDert, and CBKA have all posted threads in this forum without giving their opinion in the OP.

Well, it was reported, according to the mother's account, that the Patriot Act was used. It was reported otherwise when the prosecutor rebutted the mother's claim. I even gave the news story, via YouTube, which supported what was understood at the time.
Dude, I'm not trying to pick on you or single you out whatsoever. I'm just stating that it's been asked before, and here hinted that you shouldn't have to, and I disagreed that we want some opinion. And usually the others who post do pipe in after they get results. That's really all we want, is for you to frickin discuss why you posted it. Even if you say "this is interesting" that'd be fine by me. But just popping it up and not commenting at all whatsoever even after we pointed it out before that we want your opinion isn't very fun...

Junkogen

Post by Junkogen »

IrishCream wrote:Did Junk actually defend the US?

*head explodes*
:hehehm:

I don't hate the US at all. I'm just disappointed that it's in a truly unique position to really change the world in a positive way, set a good example, and it really has not done that historically (And you could argue that it got in this unique position by not being a good example...). I know. I know. Progress takes time. But it's still frustrating, to say the least. Just a couple things standing in the way of true progress: organized religion (totalitarianism) and capitalism (institutionalized selfishness). I believe that these two ideologies or mindsets, while purportedly well-intentioned, have been the most insidious and detrimental to the future of humanity. Hence my assault on all things Republican. They currently represent those two dark forces the most openly.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan »

jedispyder wrote:Dude, I'm not trying to pick on you or single you out whatsoever. I'm just stating that it's been asked before, and here hinted that you shouldn't have to, and I disagreed that we want some opinion. And usually the others who post do pipe in after they get results. That's really all we want, is for you to frickin discuss why you posted it. Even if you say "this is interesting" that'd be fine by me. But just popping it up and not commenting at all whatsoever even after we pointed it out before that we want your opinion isn't very fun...
If you are going to call me out on something like this, then you must call it out on everyone who does it. Otherwise, you are indeed singling me out. The posters I have referred to have not given their opinion in some threads they have created. That said, you are making an issue out of nothing. If I did post a news article, then that would imply that I do find that article interesting.