WWII

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Have fun!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Have fun you lucky bastard!

I hope it's great.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

If you're in a mischievous mood, someone posted this "prank" on Reddit:

1) Find the Action Lab booth.

2) Ask for my friend Anthony Ruttgaizer, creator of The F1rst Hero.

3) Ask to take a selfie with him. He will HATE this. Bonus if you tell him you're taking it on a phablet.

He will be there through Sunday, and it would be hilarious if he needs to spend a lot of that time hearing the words "selfie" and "phablet".

4) Send the pic to dave@bringyourownlunch.com

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Thanks ya'll

Con has been fun so far but somewhat of a bust as far as sigs go. Every halfway decent writer's signings have been turned into ticketed events; and the only way to get those tickets is to be the first ones at their booths when the doors open in the morning - which means you have to be at the Javits center super early in the morning. Even if I were inclined to do that, I'm too old for that shit. After a full day my back is killing from carrying a bag full of books.

At one point The image booth was chaos because Scott Snyder was signing on one end and Robert Kirkman on the other. I think Kirkman might have lost some weight. Any major writer's events are only ticketed: Mcfarlane, BKV, Snyder, Lee, Johns, Slott, Gillen, it's freakin' ridiculous

Artist alley is a madhouse. It's organized but it's a madhouse. There are lines for everyone. There is private security as well as official NYCC con crew on hand to make sure people don't jump the lines for writers and artists. Waiting for a single writer or artist is a 45 minute wait. It's easier to navigate with friends around so one can wait while the others hunt for other creators. Translation: I need my support group back.

This is the 2nd year in a row DC hasn't had a booth on the main show floor. All they have instead is 3 tables with curtains wayyyyyyyy in the back of artist alley for all their (ticketed) signings. It looks really low end especially when you consider other mid sized and large companies have booths: Marvel, Image, Darkhorse, Boom, dynamite, Zenescope etc...

On the other hand, I looked into Manu Bennett's almond colored eyes and discovered paradise

I got to meet Chris Hardwick, creator of the Nerdist network

I'm gonna try for Lucy Lawless and Max Brooks tomorrow

Saw 2 of the guys from comic book men

Got a ton of books from the dollar bin. But tomorrow I'm not going to go for any comic sigs. It's just not worth it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Thats funny about Gillen. He was at Calgary this year at the Avatar booth, unadvertised, and no one had any clue who he was.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Jedi, I might just do that.

Wulf, Gillen's lines very long. Everywhere he goes the signing line stretches around whatever booth he's at. And forget hot artists like McNiven, Nguyen, Connor, Cloonan and such unless you're prepared to wait an hour.

Neal Adams is there also with his giant sized booth. He's still charging $20 for a signature. Pass once again. I've gotten over it but I still felt the need to mention it. Petty of me? You betcha

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

How many depressed cosplayers without their weapons have you seen?

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

As annoying as getting things signed sounds now, I suppose, to be fair to the organisers, it's better organized for the sheer number of people that go to this event now.

Sig hunting seems like it would be better done at a mid-sized con, but eventually, all the popular ones will be large or mega sized, it seems to me.

How are you finding it Wally? Must be a bit choatic with the volume of people, but is it generally better organised?

Which Comic Book Men people did you see?

XIII

Post by XIII »

Man, this really makes me NOT want to go again. :(
Looks like we picked the right time to do all together.
I'm in awe of your effort to do the Con every year. Sounds like a hassle to me now. Or maybe I'm just getting closer and closer to being an old fart.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I haven't been bothered to go to MCM London Expo, in a while. It happens twice a year and I think I've missed the last three.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yes, Us Euro's need to do a London Con soon!

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Small guest list at the moment, but this one looks interesting:
http://www.londonsupercomicconvention.com/guests.html

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Con is over, details will be forthcoming as will be pictures

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Con is over, details will be forthcoming as will be pictures
Yay!

Was it awesome?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Con was awesome.

A few quick answers:

Stocky: Sig hunting was dramatically easier when NYCC was smaller and at NY special edition. I got more signatures at NYSpec Edition in a quarter of the time than my entire time at NYCC. The Con is now so expansive and overflowing that's its impossible to see and do everything at all. There are so many ticketed signings and events that you need to be very choosy about what you want.

The highly sought after ticketed events that were every day were: Todd McFarlane, Robert Kirkman, Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, J. Scott Campbell, Brett the Hitman Hart, Matt Fraction, Dan Slott, Kieron Gillen, Gail Simone, Jim Lee, Geoff Johns, Ethan Van Sciver, and a few more big name creators I can't remember.

The con is better organized but there is so much more to do that you can get lost (which I did) several times. Also a correction: I mistakenly said DC did not have a proper booth at the con this year; I was wrong. DC had 2 booths. They had a panel of 3 tables in artist alley where they held all their ticketed signings and another giant booth that was outside the main floor; on the inside lobby against a whole wall was their second booth where they had all the bat suits on display, several tv screens showing up coming movies, tv shows and previews - and where they also gave out some great swag.

XIII: it's kind of a hassle to go now but once I get there I kind of forget how annoying the whole prospect is because I know I won't be doing this for too many more years. At this point I don't know if I'll be able to do it next year, if ticket demand keeps going up and supply remains the same. On Saturday, I spent 3 quarters of the day walking the length of the entire con just see everything there and there was some sweet stuff on sale.

I purchased a 1990 robin action figure that I had when I was younger (but lost), and a red lanterns t-shirt for my friend Chris. I also saw a sweet looking wind up wristwatch I wanted to get but I waited too long and it got sold. I also purchased a bunch of back issues bringing me closer to completing some of my comic runs (looking at you HELLBLAZER).

I didn't get many sigs but here's what I got:
V:for Vendetta I - David Lloyd
Bill Sienkewicz - Batman widening Gyre, Batman Odyssey
Gotham academy: Becky Cloonan (I think)
Magdelana/Vampirella - Francis Manupaul
Damn, I drawing a blank on the few others I got. Aw well, they'll come to me

A funny story about J.Scott Campbell. The line for J.Scott Campbell is always huge and Saturday morning I was wandering around the con floor and I saw Campbell autographing books for 2 guys and I didn't see a line so I wandered over and asked the guys to take a picture of me with Campbell. One of the guys (looking confused) said "sure" took my pic (with an equally confused looking Campbell and I walked away. While walking, I noticed a buncha angry people giving me dirty looks and I realized that I had unknowingly jumped the J.Scott Campbell line for a photo so I got out of there quick.

I also tried to unsuccessfully get a sig from Todd McFarlane but that didn't happen. I didn't have a ticket and his staff kept pushing him away from the crowd to prevent people like me from squeezing in. So at one point while McFarlane was talking to someone, I took a photo of him and he saw me taking he photo and stopped his conversation and gave me a peace sign. It was a very special moment for us. Todd McFarlane stopped his important conversation to pose for me.

Ok more later. Now bed time

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

How huge was the Campbell line you inadvertently jumped?

XIII

Post by XIII »

You think it was Becky? How can mistake her? My sweet beautiful Becky. ..

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The line for Campbell was huge and I didnt see it because it was behind his booth.

XIII, although her name card said Becky Cloonan I wasn't sure it was her because she looked a little heavier than last time.
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Behind the boot? Those sneaky fuckers!

And is that an actual smile I see in the image? Didn't think we'd ever see the day!

XIII

Post by XIII »

Is that Lucy Lawless ?