Architect working as an advisor

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

MGM

Post by MGM »

Also, for the time being this is no Facebook news.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Shit man, that sucks. I hope it all turns out well in the end. Keep us posted!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

That really does suck, hopefully they can find a way to extend your contract.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Really sorry to hear that, and I hope at the very least they can keep you on for quite a few more months rather than not at all. Did they give you a time frame of when you'll know for certain rather than the end of the month coming and them telling you that day? I hope it works out well for you rather than you having to leave.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Wow, that really blows! Hope they come through for you...

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

That's some dark news. Naturally they are amazed at your talents and work ethic (10 hour day? I max out at 9) and will try their bestest to keep you. :)
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

MGM

Post by MGM »

Right (still no Facebook news this, BTW!).

So, as of April 1st, I'll be working for at least 3 months. Because that's the length of the new contract they gave me. I sorta expected that. Apparently the financial advisor of the... I dunno, I suppose the CEO? What's the owner of a relative small business called? Anyway, apparently the financial advisor was dead set against giving me a new contract. There simply is no money. Of course, it's nice to know they really want to keep me for the company. On the other hand, it gets me into a dilemma.

The con's and the pro's:

Pro's:
  • Expectations are that in the second half of the year there'll be more work and if that indeed is the case, as soon as they can, they'll lengthen my contract to a year or indefinite.
  • I really, REALLY like working at this place with the co-workers I have. The atmosphere at work is really good, too. Actually, it's somewhat unique. I doubt that I'd find this sort of chemistry with co-workers in this line of work anywhere else.
  • The location of the office is really nice, in the center of a little town. It's actually qutie a nice office too, with lots of space.
Con's:
  • Of course, expectations were never that they would have to fire people this month. Who's to say expectations will come true?
  • I know that a company where a friend works needs people, I'd fit the bill perfectly. The work there would more or less be the same, but probably with more possibilities to do more on the field I'm really interested (sustainability). Small con on this one is that said friend will grow into being my boss. No problem with that, but I can't just freewheel into a job application, since he knows I might look for a job soon. If I apply, I can't back down afterwards.
So it more or less comes down to maybe working with seriously fun people and in a good office versus applying for a somewhat more interesting job with unknown people in an uninteresting office. Which is also no guarantee for work.

I've openly discussed this with my boss, also explained that I really hate to leave the ship at the first sign of trouble. He was quite understanding about it all. He promised to keep me updated on how things progress the coming months. I think I'm keeping on the lookout for new jobs right now, but won't start actively applying until 4 weeks from now. If things haven't changed by then, it's time to move on. If they actually do improve, my dilemma is gone. If I can keep working here, I can always in the future see what that other job might be (if it's still there, of course).

XIII

Post by XIII »

I think waiting a bit more to see how the situation evolves is the wise thing to do.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Hey, just heard there was a shooting in Holland. Hope all your close and loved ones were not at the place. Take care!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Same here, hope all is well.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

Holland isn't THAT small. ;)
But, thanks for the thoughts. And no, no one I know was involved in that.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Flat tire. Thankfully close to work. And apparently the profile of two of my tires was completely gone. So that means 4 new tires. At about € 125 each. >.<

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Ouch

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Hopefully everything works out well for you Mitch. Sorry to hear about the flat tires as well. Like you need the extra costs right now, right.

Keep us posted on whether you start going to interviews.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Sent out two letters, two interviews in return. One is next Wednesday, the other perhaps as well.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Great news!

MGM

Post by MGM »

If I get to choose, absolutely.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Good luck! Wednesdays can be good days for geeks ^_^

MGM

Post by MGM »

Just had my first interview. I have to say, that kidna went so-so. Probably 'cause I'm not really certain with what I want for my future and since I know shit about one of their workfields. Well, very little.

Next interview in 2 hours.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Good luck young man