Stockwell's Manor

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

In other news, I'm in the process of buying a flat in Greater London. :)
Contracts not signed yet, or deposit paid, but it's going along smoothly so far.
Tiny two bed flat, but really quite good for London. Right next to a comic book shop amusingly enough. If all goes well, I should be able to move by mid November.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Excellent!! Looks like we are all set for the 2015 con season in London! :D

Do catch The Hour season 2, it's even better than the first one in my opinion.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Grand news, how many guests can you house? :D

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I don't think I can manage the lot of you in one go I'm afraid. If I get a double sized bed for both bedrooms then I can take two couples and someone on the couch. Maybe someone on the living room floor. Six total, but it would definitely feel crammed.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Just enough for a con!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Good luck on the purchase of a flat. I hope things proceed to your satisfaction.

What type of area in London are you in? Trendy? Suburban, hipster, middle class, up and coming area?

Also, has Peter Milligan found you yet? He's been stalking you since 09. He left several disturbing voicemails on my phone.

:)

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Thanks Wally.

Greater London / Kent. It's kind of lower-middle / middle class.

He needs to get over me. :-)

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

... why are our smileys not standardised so that, :-) produces :) ?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Try it without the -.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Congrats! Got any photos of the joint?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

I typed Stockwell Manor in google and this is what I got :

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Ha! If only.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

So, over the last few weeks I have:

- Exchanged contracts
- Completed
- Bought some white goods
- Cleaned a little bit
- Moved furniture in
- Moved in

A few hiccups, but it's starting to feel like a place to live.

I could list a whole list of items on my to do list - such as paint, which I should have already done while the flat was empty - I will instead inquire about your feelings to the following...

I have approximately 5,000 comics.
I brought them all to the flat. They occupy a large portion of my spare bedroom. I always planned to get rid of some, but, now I'm thinking I should get rid of 4,000 of them and keep only the signed ones and the ones that I particularly enjoyed.
I'm not even counting the trades by the way. fourteen fucking medium sized boxes of trades and books (mostly trades). I think I should strip mine these two, but when it comes to buying trades, I tend to be more discerning with what I buy, so I'll probably find I won't want to get rid of many of these. Comics on the other hand, well, I've bought any old shit just to have something to read or because I thought my weekly purchase was light one week, so why not pick up something else for the sake of reading another comic. Plus, I'm a sucker for the big events.

I think the majority of my comics will resell at fuck all value. But, it will be a quick way of emptying the space.
I will resort them - since I wasn't that thorough, even before packing them for the move - and see if there is anything of value to me, or greater value for selling. However, I think the majority of it will go straight to the local comic price for the best, but shittiest deal I can get.
I don't even think I'll miss them. Plus, when would you reread them - ever? I think I'm far more likely going to read a trade then I am a comic.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I am gutting most of mine.

If I want to re-read them, they aren't all that hard to buy, and we live in the age of the internet.

May I suggest a single legal sized file cabinet? It will hold about 1000 books and looks good. You just need to build some dividers for the drawers. Each drawers split into 2 holds 250 comics or so. Just buy a good file cabinet, like a HAAN.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'm thinking about this a lot too.
I look at my shelves and think. Will I ever read that again? And this? And, oh, I have that too? And then I realize I probably won't ever read them again so I could get rid of them.
All it takes is the guts to do it. I don't know. Right now, comics are piling up all over my shelves. I can't remember the last time I've read a physical one. Meanwhile, I'm reading lots of stuff on Comixology. So I might go 100% digital.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Cam, all 10,000+ of your comics? It must be well over 10,000 if I'm on 5,000. How about you Arn?

My new local comic shop guy will probably do my whole collection for 10p-20p an issue. So, current lowest estimate would be £500 for 5,000 comics.
As I've probably said above, I'll go through the books first and see if there's anything worth my time going through Ebay, otherwise I would rather forego the work and just offload them all in one go.
(Same basic approach will be applied to my trades, books and DVDs to a lesser extent.)

It's very nice having a little something to read each week. But, the physical cost of storing them is quite high.

I'm thinking I would still go to cons and maybe still pick up issue ones in the store as 'samplers' as to whether I want to buy the trade.

I really think I should explore Comixology.

XIII

Post by XIII »

On Comixology, I mostly buy through the sales when issues are at $0.99. Or when they have trade at $3.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Instead of telling I still have all my singles and don't buy digitally and let this topic derail into a 'save space' topic, let me congratulate you on the house and demand pictures. And an address. So we can stalk you. And see where you live on Google Maps. And stalk you.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Congratulations on moving in and signing contracts.

I'd recommend getting a bookshelf for all your trades. This way you can line them up against the wall and save space.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding my singles collections. Most of the stuff id like to get rid of is are my miscellaneous 90s purchases. The odd issue of Nomad 34 or Avengers disassembled. Stuff like that. Even though I know I probably won't get anything for it and it's literally not worth the paper it's printed on; I have a hard time letting go but I know I must do it sooner or later.

Conversely, the runs I've spent time accumulating i.e. UXM, Wolverine, S/B and that I enjoy, I won't be getting rid of. I don't forsee selling any of my Darkhorse/Image/Indy stuff. I'll probably get rid of badly written X-Men related minis and such.

But sooner rather than later, some shit has to go.

So a question Stocky (and anyone else) will you be parting with any of your UXM and/or X-Men related books?

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm assuming the Chuck Austen run. :D

Shit, I had to Google that, I've completely banished his name from memory. :D