Flaming First Thread

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

ChimeraCreative wrote:I'm in another country from most of my friends and family. It's certainly not easy but we all manage. Adam's gotta call all over the fucking country for work so we have a sweet phone deal, I can call anyone, anytime. But I never get to go out with anyone but Adam and Dr. Ray Palmer anymore. Calling mom and being annoyed by her on the phone is not the same as being annoyed with her in person. :sad:

Oh look, something to distract us from how much we miss (or will miss) or hometown... Image... I feel better already. ^_^
Your mom and my dad should be friends. I get the same way whenever I talk to my dad. :D
Someday soon I will break down and get one of these "cell-phones" as you call them and try to get a good long-distance deal. Sometimes it's more fun to talk on the phone than e-mail all the time.

Wee I love that .gif! :clap:

Thanks CC and Mitch. I feel better now. :)
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

The French Biscuit

Mr Wallstreet wrote:I happen to like it.

And that's all I have to say about that. :coolgleam:
I thought you might. :D:lips:
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

The French Biscuit

I made a website.

Well the first draft anyway

This is for my client as part of the, appropriately named, Client Project class that I'm taking for the big ol' design diploma.

Check it out, critique if you wish and tell me if any links are broken.
Biscuit AWAY!

The French Biscuit

ChimeraCreative wrote:Hey, this thread almost fell off the page!

*swoops in and rescues it*

*writes Biscuit a bill for the swoop and rescue*

Well, my work has been done! ^_^

(... there is no discount because there's only one page of threads here.)
I already repped you for this, but it merits a post as well.

You're my heroine CC, and I mean that in a non-narcotic kind of way. :D
Biscuit AWAY!

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

The French Biscuit wrote:I already repped you for this, but it merits a post as well.

You're my heroine CC, and I mean that in a non-narcotic kind of way. :D
Well, I am a big fan of yours. ^_^

And I like the first draft of your site. The colours are easy on the eyes, it's compact but not cluttered and it's easy for a computer bozo like me to navigate. I'll ask StoneTable to look at it later, he speaks in more professional computer terms than I do (way more). If there's a problem with your work (he'll be instantaneously vaporized for blasphemy, or) he'll find the snafu's.
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

The site looks pretty cool to me. The only thing I don't care for is how the content in the right column scrolls separately from the page. Someone might not notice it and whatever's below the fold might not get seen. Otherwise it's clean and easy to read. Nice work!
“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.â€￾ - Nikola Tesla

:toetap: You're a real asshole when you're drunk, Superman.

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

The French Biscuit wrote:An hour isn't too bad, but you're right. It's not the same as just being down the street from someone. It'll be o.k. though, it's all part of life.
An hour to work is okay, an hour from hang out places sucks. That's why I am not moving down to where my job is.

Get your girlfriend to move to YOU Mich. :pimp:
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

MGM

Post by MGM »

Haha! I wish, but that'd be workwise for her very inconvenient.

The French Biscuit

ChimeraCreative wrote:Well, I am a big fan of yours. ^_^

And I like the first draft of your site. The colours are easy on the eyes, it's compact but not cluttered and it's easy for a computer bozo like me to navigate. I'll ask StoneTable to look at it later, he speaks in more professional computer terms than I do (way more). If there's a problem with your work (he'll be instantaneously vaporized for blasphemy, or) he'll find the snafu's.
:cheesy: I have a fan! I like you back CC.

Thanks very much for the crit.
Just for comparison, here's the original site: keg.bc.ca

Clearly you are not a computer bozo because you have mastered the ancient ninja art of message boarding.
Biscuit AWAY!

The French Biscuit

StoneTable wrote:The site looks pretty cool to me. The only thing I don't care for is how the content in the right column scrolls separately from the page. Someone might not notice it and whatever's below the fold might not get seen. Otherwise it's clean and easy to read. Nice work!
Thanks! Any suggestions on an alternate method to the scrolling column? I put the scroll bar in so we could still fit some stuff above the fold (see the old site for how much stuff used to be below the fold), but do you think it might be more effective if I just made each item a link or just a short sentence with a link or somesuch?
Biscuit AWAY!

The French Biscuit

I just realized

I've been a vegetarian for over a year and I've only fallen off the veggie wagon a couple of times since I started.

Life changing effects? None. Well, just that I eat fish to make up for the lack of meat and this has resulted in more vivid and more frequent dreams. Otherwise, I don't feel any more or less healthy for doing it and I might as well stick with it just because it's a habit.

Also, I like starting off these little life-posts with a title. It makes them look official.:coolgleam:
Biscuit AWAY!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The French Biscuit wrote:
Life changing effects? None. Well, just that I eat fish to make up for the lack of meat and this has resulted in more vivid and more frequent dreams. Otherwise, I don't feel any more or less healthy for doing it and I might as well stick with it just because it's a habit.
How much fish are we talking, I'm curious?

Story, which isn't a thinly veiled stab, I swear.
It's a pet peeve of mine, well, not so much a pet peeve as me hating hypocrites. There are two girls in one of my classes that I occasionally see outside of school, who claim to be vegan, or vegitarians depending on the day.

Yet they eat fish for dinner almost every night of the week, and regularly snack on cheese in class.

You are not a vegitarian if you eat fish, or a little chicken. Fish is an animal, just look beautiful tasty beef cow. Same with cheese for vegans. You can't eat cheese and be a vegan. Yeesh.

Yeesh, that turned into a rant. This would be a good place for the soap box smiley, if I was one to use such things.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

The French Biscuit

I eat fish about twice to thrice a day.

There are types of vegetarian diets.

"Types of Vegetarian Diets

* ovo-vegetarian: eats eggs; no meat
* lacto-ovo vegetarian: eats dairy and egg products; no meat
* lacto-vegetarian: eats dairy products; no eggs or meat
* vegan: eats only food from plant sources

And many other people are semi-vegetarians who have eliminated red meat, but may eat poultry or fish."

I guess I should have been more specific.

If your classmates say they are vegan and they're eating fish and cheese then yes they're breaking the rules and are more like lacto-vegetarians than vegans. Vegans aren't even allowed to wear fibers that come from an animal (ex. silk).

Eventually I'd like to try and go strict-vegetarian, but you have to ease into that because it can be bad for you if you just stop eating certain things with no replacement for all the goodness you were getting from those things. Hence the fish to replace the red meat.

*uses soap box smilie in Wolf's place*
:soapbox:
Biscuit AWAY!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I call bullshit! The definition of a vegetarian is one who does not eat meat, fish, fowl or any of that type of stuff.

To not eat red meat, is just that, not eating red meat, it does not make you a vegetarian.

Maybe I am just anal, though.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Some people merely don't eat meat, because it's more healthy. Those people usually don't call themselves vegetarian, though. I love the people who don't eat meat, 'because it's so sad for the animals'. Yet the fish, they have no trouble with those.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I can understand some people's reasoning. I hate the idea of hunting, can't stand gutting fish (one reason I didn't get a degree in Culinary Arts). I find it so funny when people go "I won't eat anything with a face" as they chomp down on a fish sandwich. HELLO! Can you seriously say a fish doesn't have a face? Stupid people...

The French Biscuit

wolf_2099 wrote:I call bullshit! The definition of a vegetarian is one who does not eat meat, fish, fowl or any of that type of stuff.

To not eat red meat, is just that, not eating red meat, it does not make you a vegetarian.

Maybe I am just anal, though.
Alright, how about "one who does not eat mammals".

Not as snappy though.
Biscuit AWAY!

The French Biscuit

Jeebus, had I known this would have garnered such response I wouldn't have typed anything. :sweatdrop: (we need an eye-rolling smilie, the sweatdrop is cute but doesn't capture the correct emotion for this moment).

I've just switched to fish because it's healthier than red meat. Nothin' to do with "faces" or stuff like that. I'm not that full of it. :p
Biscuit AWAY!

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

Hey, I'm just thrilled that you're being sensible abut your health. A lot of folks that dive into vegetarianism don't consider covering their protein/vitamin/etc bases. It really is difficult to do. I wish I could do it. I could probably give up meat, but I don't think I could pick up the nutritional slack with chick peas, beets and the like.

You did it for the health benefits more than the 'poor animals' side of things, right? I know it doesn't relate to vegetarianism, but can I ask what you prefer to drink now? We got a good & cheap deal on a water cooler last year and it has been just awesome. ^_^
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

The French Biscuit wrote:Alright, how about "one who does not eat mammals".

Not as snappy though.
yeah, that, that I am all for. It makes sense.