WWII

Post your bio, personal stories, etc. right here!

Moderators: Mr Wallstreet, XIII

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Forget the ab-pro machine dude. It's just a tool that helps you accomplish excercises you can already do without forking over the cash.

Abs are arguably more about lowering your body fat percentage around / below 6%. Ethiopians have fantastically visible abs. Not good abs, but visible. Sumo wrestlers have strong developed abs - covered in fat.

Box. Do lots of cardio and do excercises like planks.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Box? As in Mike Tyson, Oscar de la Hoya, Rocky Balboa box? Damn, I'm not doing that.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:Box? As in Mike Tyson, Oscar de la Hoya, Rocky Balboa box? Damn, I'm not doing that.
Don't spar, just box.

Use pads or a punching bag. Boxing conditioning and exercises are phenomenal workouts, and you exercise your upper body which we do not do enough.

Skip, hit a punching bag, take a boxing conditioning class.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Thank you D, you sexy beast :)

This past Sunday I got back to working out. Not having jogged in 4 weeks, I didn't do my usual 2 hours; instead I did only 50 minutes, which is not bad. Its more than I expected to do. I also started benchpressing. I'm now looking on Amazon.com for a decent ab-pro machine that'll give me the sexy washboard abs that I deserve.
As Stocky said, those ab machines are a waste of money, and abs are all body fat percentage, need to be about 7-8% to get a 6 pack, which is all diet. You'll also never get a 6 pack while you are running 1-2 hours for your workout. Need to cut it down to 10-20 of high intensity stuff, like sprints.

If you want a good ab workout, gets a 20 or 30 lbs dumb bell, set yourself up in a normal crunch, and hold the weight above your chest with straight arms.

Do the sit-up while keeping the weight and your arms in the same position, pointed towards the roof.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Yea, I figured I needed to cut down on my running and balance out my workout. This past weekend I only did about an hour of running, 15 minutes of weight training and 10 minutes of ab workout.

Given that I just started weight training and ab workout I thought it best to start off light, hence the 15 and 10 minute workouts. I'm going to try and get some ab workout and weight training done today after work, not a lot but enough to keep up my pace. Fridays - Sundays is when I'll likely up the length and/or intensity of my workout.

Good talk guys and thanks for the advice.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

wolf_2099 wrote:Don't spar, just box.

Use pads or a punching bag. Boxing conditioning and exercises are phenomenal workouts, and you exercise your upper body which we do not do enough.

Skip, hit a punching bag, take a boxing conditioning class.
Follow Bas, Wally. Follow Bas!
This is just to give you an idea of 'padwork' and why it's such a good excercise. About 1m28sec into the vid is when he starts hitting the pads...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi5-MN_ZyFU
Obviously, if you don't have a partner, or you don't go to a class, you can't do it - unless you get/use a heavy bag.
Although not the same, just shadow boxing those movements with knees instead of kicks makes for a nice part of a routine or just a warm up.

An idea of heavy bag punching for workouts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YFfy9lXFGE

Or maybe follow Manny...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7dB_4yXPv4&NR=1

Here's the plank excercise I suggested. First video I could find...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU

I find Youtube bloody brilliant for ideas!

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Now, it's been two weeks since me and Cam have generously provided our advice and suggestions.

Clearly you must be excited to tell us how you've implemented our suggestions into your routine over this time.

Can't wait to hear. Post away. :)

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The only advice I took was For ab work. I took started doing crunches with a dumbell. I only started that last week and I'm trying to do it regularly in addition to jogging and a little bit of weight training

I'm also balancing out my diet with fruits and veggies (mostly fruits) and not overeating. Its all about portions.

It's a no-go for punching bags. Those are only available at gyms and I do not have the time to go out of my way to a gym - work out - then go home. I get out of work late as it is and to tack on another 2-3 hours at the end of my work day would end me.

My only problem now is being consistent about working out. More often than not I wind up getting home late or not wanting to do them because I'm too tired.

XIII

Post by XIII »

You better get that butt of yours in shape for NYCC 2010. You KNOW why!

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

How did your first time bowling work out for you? ^_^
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Bowling was great fun. I scored a few strikes but the rest were a mix of gutterballs and and what-not. Once I nearly went flying with the ball right onto the lane. I'm hoping to do it again soon whenever the schedule allows for it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I played pool over the weekend with some friends for the first time in like 5 years, and man was I terrible.

Lot of it was rust and a lot of it was complete lack of skill. Also, while playing my friend injured the fingers on my right hand when he accidentally slammed his pool cue onto my hand. I was pissed for about a minute but then I realized I had an excuse for being so awful.

Note to self: Improve game.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Bowling was great fun. I scored a few strikes but the rest were a mix of gutterballs and and what-not. Once I nearly went flying with the ball right onto the lane. I'm hoping to do it again soon whenever the schedule allows for it.
I went bowling Sunday night, bowled a whopping 112.
And won.

We suck at bowling.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I found copies of Magician Apprentice and Master for you if you still need them, I can ship them out as soon as I am less poor.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

That would be fantabulous, but no rush though. Whenever you get a chance is fine by me. Between Mitch and Fash both raving about Magician, I am really curious to read them and see what the hub-bub is about.

Also, to make up for all the things you've shipped me so far (The signed Frank Cho books, Magician & anything else I may have forgotten to mention) I'll either pay you back in cash or buy you to drinks (whichever you prefer) when we do our next meet up.

Thanks again for this.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Your books are en route, I had completely forgotten about them.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Had a wisdom tooth pulled out on Saturday. The process took all of about 5 minutes. Despite the numbness it was still somewhat painful, but not nearly as bad as all my friends experiences were. The only real inconvience was that I spent the rest of Saturday changing the gauze in my mouth every hour to staunch the bleeding

XIII

Post by XIII »

I'll call you Wally the Unwise from now on.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Had a wisdom tooth pulled out on Saturday. The process took all of about 5 minutes. Despite the numbness it was still somewhat painful, but not nearly as bad as all my friends experiences were. The only real inconvience was that I spent the rest of Saturday changing the gauze in my mouth every hour to staunch the bleeding
You've joined the club. Hoorah!

How's shit like excercise coming along? Obviously you've been following mine and Cam's advice. Obviously.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Obviously. He will be ripped when we see him.