Is the iphone worth it?

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Stocky Boy

Is the iphone worth it?

Post by Stocky Boy »

I was thinking of getting an iPhone 3GS, 16GB. But, then I realised I could buy a Nokia 5800, have pretty much the same functionality, and get it for practically free.

So, I put it to you, the members of Board X, is the iPhone actually worth it?

Shermy

Post by Shermy »

I don't think iPhones are all that good, there are several phones that are so much better than them, and you can get better phones on cheaper contracts as well. Personally I prefer Nokia's myself.

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

No doubt you have already quizzed our Resident expert on the matter;

I can only peruse the reviews for an opinion since I am not in the market for such a gadget.

I think it depends what you are going to do with it and how much you prefer style/hype over good ol-functionality.
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

XIII

Post by XIII »

Yes, we'll need one of those fancy phones at NYCC. Always helpful.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Stocky Boy wrote:I was thinking of getting an iPhone 3GS, 16GB. But, then I realised I could buy a Nokia 5800, have pretty much the same functionality, and get it for practically free.

So, I put it to you, the members of Board X, is the iPhone actually worth it?
It depends not just on the price, but on the whole package. In the U.S. an iphone runs at least $500 plus activation fee and additionally you are locked into a 2 year contract with monthly service charge running around at $100 minimum.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I actually bought one with a contract about two weeks ago, won't be using it until March. But it's a fun phone, that much I can already tell you.

From what I can tell, and I've been looking around a bit, is that the touch screen is pretty much unrivalled. And the 3Gs is pretty fast, too.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:It depends not just on the price, but on the whole package. In the U.S. an iphone runs at least $500 plus activation fee and additionally you are locked into a 2 year contract with monthly service charge running around at $100 minimum.
Damn. I had to fork over €30 and have a 2-year contract of €45/month. But than again, phones ARE cheap in Holland. (And no, I don't think it's a cheap deal, but WAY cheaper than the US deal).

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I have the Blackberry Storm.

We have googlemaps covered.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

We'll need Twitter and nycomicon.com access as well.

Oh and comicbookdb.com!

Damn, those iPhone and Blackberries are going to render me useless!! :(

MGM

Post by MGM »

Dude, you'll be live updating us, instead of us having to look up what a writer/artist has done and whether he/she's any good. You'll have your uses. If only 'cause an iPhone can't get beer.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I need to buy a fancy phone before I go.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I can only imagine what the data costs overseas are.
My brothers bosses go to Europe frequently and rack up 4 figure blackberry bills.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I would like either a Blackberry or an iphone. Preferably an iphone and I could do without the internet and all the gadgets, apps, bells and whistles. I just want one because they look fancy.

XIII

Post by XIII »

wolf_2099 wrote:I can only imagine what the data costs overseas are.
My brothers bosses go to Europe frequently and rack up 4 figure blackberry bills.
OK, no fancy phone then! :e2bummed:

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

You don't have to use the internet part abroad.

In the UK, you also need to pay for the prviledge of having an international net connection, if you want to use it abroad.

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

It depends, iPhone is, imo, without a doubt the best phone on the market.

But ive had mine (the 3g version, not3gs) for 13 month and its had a few minor faults and 2 serious faults wheres its had to go in for repair.

When its working its hardly ever out of my hand but when its in for repair man is it annoying.

Oh and international data charges in the uk are £6.50 per MB although you can turn off data roaming pretty easily and just use free wifi
:chewie:

Goshin

Post by Goshin »

ive got a blackberry curve, best phone ive ever had, the iphone is overated and over-hyped.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

The iphone and blackberries do seem to be the biz, but I went for the Nokia 5800. It's like a low spec iphone, but fucking free!

I believe it was the 'free' aspect that tipped me towards getting it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

So now that you've had it for a while, update us on it. How is the service? Drop a lot of calls? Internet problems much? How is the quality on the screen? Is it an LCD? Details!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

iPhone!

I have one. Fucking Finally!

32 Gb, 3GS

1500 minutes monthly, unlimited, text & internet. About the only thing it doesn't do is speak to me in a soothing voice telling me "its not my fault"