What browser do you use?

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

jedispyder

What browser do you use?

Post by jedispyder »

There are so many different browsers out there but you really only need one. Which do you use (most often)?

I'm becoming really, really fond of (Google) Chrome. Lots of nifty stuff, good ease of access, plus a built in dictionary. So if I type ggw it goes "what the fuck you mean, fool?" Yay! Huh, evidently "yay" isn't a real word, strange...

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Firefox.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I don't know why I couldn't get into Firefox. I've tried it many times, there was just something "off" about it...

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I rarely use Firefox.. I still you Internet Explorer because I'm just comfortable with it..

IrishCream

Post by IrishCream »

I used Internet Explorer years ago and it gave me a fuckton of viruses. I use firefox now and it works pretty well for me.
YA BETTA ASK SOMEBODDDAAAAAYYYYYYYY!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Yeah. I got too much shit on my computer through IE or netscape. Firefox works well for me.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Yeah, IE is just too welcoming. There's gotta be some wacky shit going on with that, heh. So far with Chrome I haven't had 1 pop-up, which IE is horrible with. I had that set to no pop ups and I still got about half a dozen a day, annoying as hell. Only thing I miss when compared to Chrome is that you can't use the scroll button on your mouse. Bah! Just have to roll the mouse down, but no click-scroll...

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

What is google chrome?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I think I get about 1 pop up a week if that, but I generally head to the same sites every time so it's only at some newer ones I don't go to that I get them.

If it crashes again, then we'll see.

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

I've tried most of the browsers out there, but I use Firefox almost exclusively. It has its issues, but it works well enough.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Ever get viruses from it?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Not from IE, but Limewire destroyed me about a year ago. I haven't downloaded that again, regardless of how much I want free music.

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

wolf_2099 wrote:Ever get viruses from it?
From Firefox? Nope. It's possible but not nearly as likely as it is when using Internet Explorer. IE is just much, much easier to exploit and has a larger marketshare because it's the default option for every Windows user. The only thing I'll use IE for is downloading Firefox. :)

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

wolf_2099 wrote:What is google chrome?
Google Chrome is pretty new, only became really popular in the last few months. It removes the typical control panel (File, Edit, etc) and completely changed the address bar. Now its not an address bar but instead a huge search engine that doubles as an address bar. So if I wanted to go to Board X, all I'd have to do is type in the address bar "board x" and it would either give me a link to my bookmark, give me a link from whatever search engine is default, or give me suggestions to search the search engine. One thing I really like is each time you open a new tab, it acts like it is its own browser. That way if it starts to screw up and it freezes, instead of having to close all of Chrome you can choose to just cancel that one tab and all other tabs are perfectly fine.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Firefox's address bar does that now, too. However, that freezing thing would be nice, especially with vista.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Not from IE, but Limewire destroyed me about a year ago. I haven't downloaded that again, regardless of how much I want free music.
Bit torrent.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I was having many annoyances with Firefox's search bar. It kept repeating things and it wasn't as "pretty" as Chrome. I updated Firefox today as well.

One great example of why I think Chrome's search is better. Today I watched the movie Zodiac and wanted to look up information about it. So in my address bar I typed in "Zodiac" and waited a few seconds. The suggestions including stuff about regular zodiac so I changed my wording to "Zodiac imdb" and there it was, the exact page on imdb for Zodiac. I didn't even have to ever click "enter" or "go" to get this information, it all popped up in the address bar. I just typed in Zodiac in Firefox and got...nothing. I'm guessing I'd probably have to click enter or something find out more ;)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Hmm, I might need to try this chrome.

How is it for security?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

No clue how to rate it, but I'd say "good" lol. Its still in its newborn stage and they're finding bugs but fixing them pretty quickly. I just did a search and all the problems I'm finding were from September after Chrome was first introduced, so I'm sure those have all been fixed. I know somewhere on Chrome there is an option for a community type page where bugs are described and it talks of how they're working to fix them...

They do have a spiffy option called "Incognito Mode" which doesn't save anything to your hard drive and essentially masks you appearance online (just not again work servers). This is similar to the Firefox Stealth plugin, except IIRC it was introduced first on Chrome.

One thing that takes the cake for me is the "Inspect Element" option. What it does is breaks down the website into HTML, showing you line for line what it does (and highlighting on the webpage what you are currently looking at). Really nifty ability...

MGM

Post by MGM »

Firefox, but I HATE the new address bar.