Wolf in Europe

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

wolf_2099

Wolf in Europe

Post by wolf_2099 »

So Krista and I just booked our Honeymoon.

We are doing 3 weeks in Europe, Sept 28 to Oct 19.
We intend on hitting, London, Paris, Amsterdam and Italy (in that order, exact days where yet to be decided).

I would very much like to see you Europe boys while we are there, so can we make that happen?

MGM

Re: Wolf in Europe

Post by MGM »

Absolutely!
Also, Amsterdam? Rotterdam's where it's at. ;) But barring any unforeseen calamities that should work perfectly for me (I know Natascha is likely out of the country one of the October weekends, but no clue which one).

XIII

Post by XIII »

I should be working on those but when you know for sure when you are in Paris I'll see if I can travel to Paris.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Make it to Amsterdam and we'll have a real party. ;)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Damn right! We plan on being in France, and Amsterdamn for 5 or 6 days each, so they're should be some wiggle room.

Alternatively, Is Lyon a decent city to visit, by the way, Arn?

XIII

Post by XIII »

It is! Not as much to see as in Paris of course but enough to spend 1 or 2 days.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Sweet! I'll see what Krista thinks of checking it out

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I'll probably be working, but it should be easy to pick a time and place. :)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

We're getting into the planning of the trip.

Do any of you guys have any recommendations for your respective countries?

MGM

Post by MGM »

• Amsterdam, obviously.
  • Rotterdam is popular withe the Lonely Planet lately (and to be fair, it does have nice things to see).
  • Kinderdijk (near Rotterdam) is probably THE tourist spot of Holland (Except for Lisse, but that's only interesting in the summer). But to be fair, it's basically nothing but nature and windmills.
  • The Zaanse Schans. More windmills, but also a nice old village (basically an open air museum). I'd probably pick this one over Kinderdijk (with pain in my heart).
  • Gouda, Alkmaar, Leiden, Utrecht, Delft, Den Bosch. All old cities which used to be rich and are therefor lovely for a day to walk around. I'd probably pick one (they're not exactly the same, but alike enough to visit just one).
  • I'm no real fan of The Hague, but some people do love it.
  • There's also Maastricht, but that's a bit out of the way

XIII

Post by XIII »

Well Paris, obviously. It will easily keep you busy for 3-4 days ( Eiffel Tower, Montmartre, Champs Elysees, Le Louvre, etc...).
If you décide to go to Lyon, you can visit the old town, climb to Fourvière for the view and see the Roman theater, make a small boat trip up the Saone river, visit the city centre, the Garden with the zoo, go to the comics shop with your favorite Frenchman, meet a 5 year old who knows way too much about Star Wars.

MGM

Post by MGM »

XIII wrote:who knows way too much about Star Wars.
Impossible.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:Well Paris, obviously. It will easily keep you busy for 3-4 days ( Eiffel Tower, Montmartre, Champs Elysees, Le Louvre, etc...).
If you décide to go to Lyon, you can visit the old town, climb to Fourvière for the view and see the Roman theater, make a small boat trip up the Saone river, visit the city centre, the Garden with the zoo, go to the comics shop with your favorite Frenchman, meet a 5 year old who knows way too much about Star Wars.

Wow, 5 now. I knew that, because my nephew is the same age, but jeez, it's been a while.

Those are all awesome suggestions!

Louvre is the top of my list to take Krista to, I want to go up the eiffel tower because I didn't the last time I was there.

The windmills sounds great, I never even thought of those. the netherlands I could not think of much, but I think will be pleasantly surprised.

The one thing I wanted to ask, any suggestions on travelling from country to country? I was looking at a eurorail pass for several countires, but wasn't sure it was the best (or cheapest) way to do it.

XIII

Post by XIII »

The fastest way from London to Paris is the Eurostar (train). Not sure how you get from Paris to Amsterdam, I know there is a fast train from Paris to Brussels but can't say if it goes to Amsterdam afterwards. If I find some time, I'll look it up.

XIII

Post by XIII »

MGM wrote:
XIII wrote:who knows way too much about Star Wars.
Impossible.
I swear, it has reached the point where I am fed up with Star Wars cause that's all he talks about all day long.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Turn on Star trek, see what happens.

MGM

Post by MGM »

The fast train is the Thalys. It goes from Paris to Brussels to Amsterdam.
XIII wrote:I swear, it has reached the point where I am fed up with Star Wars cause that's all he talks about all day long.
Impossible.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Oh yeah the Thalys, with the occasional terrorist armed with Kalashnikov in there.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Thats cool, just some local flavor.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Just make sure to sit next to an American marine. Or use your muay thai skills.
wolf_2099 wrote:The windmills sounds great, I never even thought of those. the netherlands I could not think of much, but I think will be pleasantly surprised.
Hah! It's pretty much the only thing we're famous for. Well, there's the tulips (in June) and the cheese markets (May 'till September). Oh yeah. Never been there, but you can't miss the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, of course. And a canal trip. That's just too awesome.
Also, make sure to have an empty stomach when we meet up. There's quite a few things you'll have to taste. ;)