Snow Day

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Mr Wallstreet

Snow Day

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

A Nor'easter has hit most of the east coast.

Yesterday work let out early so people could get home before the worst of the storm hit. I was able to grab the essentials before I got home: comics.

As of Monday night all forms of public transportation was suspended and the only vehicles allowed on the road were police, fire & emergency vehicles.

Train service was still suspended this morning soooooooooo SNOW DAY!!!!!

This is gonna suck ass tomorrow when I have to trudge through all the dirty sludge and slush to get to work but for today, I'm going to enjoy an unexpected day off

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

We got a bit of it here in Cincy but obviously nowhere near as horrendous as you guys. Hope today isn't all that horrible for you!

One of my friends on Facebook works in one of the big hospitals in NYC and said his department was mandated to stay because the hospital couldn't get the next shift to come in. This has happened to him before during the hurricanes so it's no biggie, but I always find it interesting the stuff that goes on behind the scenes of a large hospital during emergencies like this.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Have fun Wally, make the most of it!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Lazy bastards. Boy it must be nice to have the kind of job that just cancels due to snow falling. I bet tomorrow if it's still not that clear, you guys might just delay everything by like two hours so you can just go in late. Bunch of lazy asses.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

My mother was supposed to fly in to laguardia last night, while driving to conneticut and then back out today.
Needless to say that did not happen.

Stay safe!

It's what we like to call a Canadian Tuesday!
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Ed, my job maintained regular work hours during the blizzard. If you could not get to work during the blizzard you were forced to use a personal/sick/vacation day and/or not get paid for that day. Kind of a catch-22 when you consider the city shut down all forms of public transportation and a driving ban was instituted unless you were an Essential NYC employee.

No such thing as a free lunch

Can, has your mother arrived safely back home yet?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I was more playing up the whole snow days are part of the job as a teacher sarcasm haha. But that sucks that you had to lose that time. I'm surprised that in total city shut downs you're still required to work.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

She never left, she was supposed to leave right before the snow storm hit from toronto
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

You had your fun, now I have a snow day.

However, we now call them virtual learning days since students have laptops and we have to be checking our email, work phones, and virtual classrooms all day to post assignments, answer questions, and generally take attendance throughout the day. But I've been doing laundry, eating food, and sitting in my comic room all day while doing so, so it balances out.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Virtual Learning Days? That sounds like a rip off. The essence of a Snow Day is to do nothing. At all. It's an unexpected day off.

Also "virtual learning day" sounds like left over Internet lingo from the 90s.

How much snow did you get?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

If I were a kid, I'd rather have a few "virtual learning days" than have school extend further into the summer.

That being said, I would still prefer to have a "do nothing but go sledding" day instead of having to work. Make it so you can do the work in the evening so you have the day to yourself.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Well most of our kids did nothing anyway so it evened out. We only got 6-7" but where I live, we have a lot of county roads that don't get cleared as quickly as city roads so it often delays or cancels school.