Cardio

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tell me what you do for Kick Boxing in class, that is a good way to start off with what you are familar with. It helps for form, etc.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm quite certain that would be the same as you do. Or at least, I assume.

We warm up with jumping jacks (short and long), loose punch technique, loose low kicks and midsections, running in place and stretching (which for my tastes is not adequate enough, but I'm very stiff and have short muscles). That's about 15 minutes.

Usually one round of sparring. After that it's all sorts of combinations, which include in variety basically all punches and kicks you could think of (jab, hook, uppercut, knee, front kick, low kick, midsection, high kick, spinning backfist, spinning backkick [to stomach or head]). Preferably short, fast combinations that work well (usually 2 to 4, but mostly 6 forms). Lately we've been boxing to the upperbody a lot as well, no kicks. That's about 60-70 minutes.

Some abs and legs training to end with. Basically pushups, crunches, scissor kicks, scorpion kicks and squats. That's about 10-15 minutes.

Also, I have to agree that aerobic kickboxing (which I did once) has nothing to do with combat kickboxing.

XIII

Post by XIII »

On Twitter, Brian Wood keeps posting about his Crossfit session and how it is apparently hell but works wonders on your body. Anybody ever tried that?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Nope. I also never tried the Insanity program.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The instructors I've trained with in gyms use the term combat kickboxing & cardio kickboxing interchangeably, that's why I thought they were the same. Didn't realize there was a bigger difference.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:On Twitter, Brian Wood keeps posting about his Crossfit session and how it is apparently hell but works wonders on your body. Anybody ever tried that?

The problems with crossfit will come out years down the road, the entire idea of it flawed, and while it may be good for fitness, it will cause serious back and jint problems.

XIII

Post by XIII »

See that's my concern. So I'm sticking to my method of excercising : burgers and fries and Coke and ice cream. :)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

youtube can provide proper forms for all these, but a good idea for a starting place are things like;

Push-Up (or clapping puch ups)
Close Grip Push Ups
Squats & Squat Jumps
Burpees
Tuck Jumps
Wall Sit
Bear Crawls

I never really gave a shit about abs, since all the other exercises will hit them. You can add in all the regular ab stuff you would do in class.

An examples of how I'd set this up would be.

One days (all exercises in sets of 20)

20 Squat Jumps/20 Push Ups
Bear Crawl across the room
20 Burpees
Bear Crawl and repeat 3-5 times.

Day two
Squat
Wall Sit
Burpee
Push Up

And so on, just keep up the variety while at home.

I will reiterate that going doing wind sprints would be very helpful.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Intensity is the key to it.

If you want to trim down, the key is working very hard for short periods of time, as opposed to long easy workouts.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I agree with the short hard periods. I usually try to pedal hard for a minute or so, slow for a minute or so, then repeat a couple of times.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I had neither ice cream nor Coke today. I'm definitely in withdrawal. :(

MGM

Post by MGM »

I was looking for this one...

Since I've managed to reach a very acceptable weight in the last few months (from 81 to 76 kg), I'm now looking again at something else: burning fat (I've dropped about 2% the last few monts, but I suppose I could drop another 2 or 3%). I know, I know, HIIT is the thing to do. I have a few things I don't like:
- weights;
- the gym;
- running.

So where does that leave me? I could consult a guy Natascha knows, he's a personal trainer. I also could try and train harder at what I do now (2x kickboxing, 2x krav maga), but momentarily that's a problem due to elbow injuries. Any ideas?
wolf_2099 wrote:The problems with crossfit will come out years down the road, the entire idea of it flawed, and while it may be good for fitness, it will cause serious back and jint problems.
And it's still all the rage.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Also, come to think of it. The way our kickbox training is set up, it probably almost should count as HIIT. We train techniques for 3 minutes, then 1 minute rest. But those 3 minutes are fast, hard and intense (okay, at the moment for me not so much).

XIII

Post by XIII »

I run. But you hate that so I don't know.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

MGM wrote:Also, come to think of it. The way our kickbox training is set up, it probably almost should count as HIIT. We train techniques for 3 minutes, then 1 minute rest. But those 3 minutes are fast, hard and intense (okay, at the moment for me not so much).
Kickboxing, diet and heavy, heavy weights worked for me.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Did I mention I hate the gym and are thusly injured I can't kickbox at the moment? :D

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

MGM wrote:Did I mention I hate the gym and are thusly injured I can't kickbox at the moment? :D
Stop eating.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Sigh.

I caved and ran last night. 5 km with up-tempo intervals. 25 minutes, which makes it a nice 12 km/h. No ached muscles today, so that's good, I suppose.

I still don't see the appeal of running, though.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Me either. Unless it is from zombies.

XIII

Post by XIII »

So, you go running for the first time and you do 5km at an average of 12km/h? I hate you.