NYCC 2013

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Gillen's a good writer. His stuff is usually solid; not great but not bad either. You can count on him to deliver an enjoyable read

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

So NYCC introduced a new feature to the Con this year that is both a good and bad. This year all tickets come with an embedded chip. Once you receive your ticket, you activate the chip and it offers you access to lots of new features and blah blah most of which is, I'm sure ultimately useless, but if you activate the chip in your badge & lose your badge you can get a new badge.

The second feature is the new Tap-In & Tap-Out feature. Turnstiles will be set up which will be monitored by security staff who will watch you tap your card on the turnstile as you enter & exit the Con floor. There is no limit to the amount of times you can exit & enter but you must tap in & tap out ever time. This is new security feature is being done to prevent ticket fraud. Which while fair, is fucking annoying.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

NYCC is 2 days away. If anyone wants me to score them something, let me know and I will do my best to get it. No promises but I will do my absolute best to try and get it.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Oh, then I need to check who's there and what they are bringing. If there is anything, I'll let you know.
Mostly, I hope you'll have fun even though Jason Aaron isn't attending this year.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I would say yes but its nothing I can arrange before the show. Great line up this year.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

George A. Romero is going to be at NYCC for one day only for a Q&A panel with Joe Quesada. I'm going to try and sandbag Romero after the panel. I want to get him to sign my Walking Dead tote bag. The likelihood of getting it is bleak but we shall see.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Another NYCC has come and gone. I'll post about next week because I'm too dog tired to do it now. There was some good, some bad but mostly fun.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Did you get any goodies?!?!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sigs I got:
Green Arrow/Black Canary wedding: Amanda Conner
Cyclops limited series: Jimmy Palmiotti, Mark Texeria
Minutemen: Darwyn Cooke
Silk Spectre: Darwyn Cooke, Amanda Conner
Dark Knight Returns 1: Klaus Janson
Batman/Punisher: Klaus Janson
Wolverine 38: Larry Hama, Marc Silvestri
Detective Comics #1: Tony Daniel
Lazarus 1: Greg Rucka, Michael Lark
Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood: Rucka
Ultimate Daredevil/ Elektra: Rucka
Joe the Barbarian, The Wake, Sean Murphy
Aquaman 1: Ivan Reiss, Joe Prado
Iron Man (Demon in a bottle issue) Bob Layton
Superman/Batman 75: Rafael Albequrque, Peter Tomasi, Jimmy Palmiotti and someone else
Detective Comics: John Layman
Batman: The Return: David Finch
The Movement: Freddie Williams
Moon Knight, Fables 1: Alex Maleev
Wolverine 67 or whatever by Steve McNiven
Batman Inc: Chris Burnham
Superman/Batman: Worlds Finest: Walter Simonson
Cyber Force: Rob Liefeled
Brave & The Bold: George Perez
Something by Dave Johnson & Mike Mikcone
Batwoman: Amy Reeder
X-Men, Star Wars, Massive: Brian Wood
X-Men: Mark Morales, Oliver Coipel
Buffy: George's Jeanty
Brave & The Bold: Cliff Chiang
2 Early issues of Fantastic Four & Early issue of Amazing Spiderman by Stan Lee

Didn't get anything signed by Jonathon Hickman, Frank Cho, Andy Lanning,Hunberto Ramos, Jim Cheung, Sean Chen, Rob Guillory, Sara Pichelli because I don't have anything they wrote.

I missed out on Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo & Lee Bermejo because DC are cocks. All of the Snyder & Capullo signings were ticketed and from what I heard, people were waiting in line as early as 5:00am to get tickets to the Snyder/Capullo & Robert Kirkman signings. I also missed out on J.Michael Straczinkski and once again Max Brooks

To make matters more annoying, the non ticketed signings for popular artists like Bermejo & the Kuberts at the "DC Booth" kept kept getting shifted around

Also new twist this year, DC did not have their regular booth in the main hall floor like they do every year. Instead they had two tables side by side at the very end of artist alley roped off. It looked very cheap when you consider Darkhorse, Boom, Archaia, Dynamite Marvel etc...all had proper booths in the main hall floor.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

By far the biggest disappointment for me this year was not getting my tote bag signed by Geoege Romero. He was only at the Con for one day and just for the Cup o Joe Panel. After that panel was done, he was immediately whisked away. Only one person manages to get to him in time for a siggy and that person wasn't me. It was the guy in front of me. >:( I still can't believe I sat through that entire panel.

New security features of CC this year were scanning badges for entry & exit. If you did not scan in or out, you were detained & registration was verified to make sure you weren't sneaking in with someone else's badge.

There was also a weapons and bag check before you entered.

Bomb sniffing dogs part of the NYPD's K-9 unit were patrolling throughout artist alley

SWAT & teams & crowd control was on hand

Most of th ATMs were not working by Saturday (yay)

As usual, Saturday was the single worst day for the Con with the main show floor being packed to capacity with no room to walk, stand or breathe.

Thursday, Friday & Sunday remain the days when it's easiest to get stuff done. And on that note, it seems NYCC will be changing back into a 3 day venue instead of 4 days. The (tentative) dates for 2014 have been announced as October 25-27

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Also, there was a significant lack of swag this year. DC gave out nothing because they had no real booth, Marvel gave out mostly magazines full of previews, Darkhorse, Image & Boom gave out some new stuff but most of it was generic stuff that I saw last year & previews.

Despite failing to secure Romeros signature in the Cup o Joe panel, there were 2 announcements that I was excited to hear:

1) A new zombie limited series written by Romero with art by Alex Maleev
2) Quesada announced Marvel would begin reprinting all the Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman Miracleman stories in trade format and Neil Gailan announced (via per-recorded message) that he would finally publish the conclusion to his final MM storyline. The final issue was completely written, drawn & lettered. I think it just remained to be inked but Gaiman said it had been sitting in his desk for 20 years and that he would finally publish it now that Marvel owns the rights

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

My friend Chris came up again this year for 2 days. It was fun having another warm body to hang with. He helped me score some signatures & hold my place in line on several occasions in addition to talking shop about comics. He is a good Con buddy.

Another difference is creators & artists are changing their attitudes towards those annoying exhibitors who drop 50 books in front of a writer/artist just so they can turn around & resell it.

After the first day Claremont began charging $5.00 per signature (from everyone) and any exhibitor who wanted him to sign multiple copies had to negotiate a fee for however many titles heh wanted signed.

Larry Hama would only sign up to 3 books for free & an exhibitor who wanted his sig for resale would have to pay $10

Mark Texeria was charging $2.00 a signature. Texeria gave a very impassioned speech why he was charging. Tex was charging to cover the cost of attending the Con & his booth as well as make some new connections.

Jim Steranko was chargin but I don't know how much.

A few other writers were charging as well but I can't remember who

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Dude I'll get round to reading all of this soon. Looks like you still managed to get shit loads signed despite how crowded NYCC is getting.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Out of the lot you mentioned, the only one I'd pay to have his sig is Steranko. Do you read his Twitter? That guy is brilliantly insane.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I can somewhat understand for beyond 3 books.
A lot of creators have started doing private signings, especially DC creators thanks to CGC facilitators with their stacks of books, to keep the actual fans moving in line.

They have a serious problemn with queing though, especially DC it seems. 5am line up seems realy unreasonable for two guys who only sign stuff.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

wolf_2099 wrote:Did you get any goodies?!?!
Yes I did. I got the Iron Man issue of Demon in a Bottle in Very Good condition for $15. Then in perfect happenstance I saw Bob Layton at the Con and got him to sign it. He was very nice and as a joke he signed it in silver marker - which in retrospect kind of sucks because you can't really see it.

I also hit the dollar bins and almost completed my run of Wolverine vol 1, most of volume 2, The movement, BoP, some Batman minis and the entire run of Joe the Barbarian as well as other miscellaneous titles

I eagerly await Stocky's review of my review :)
XIII wrote:Out of the lot you mentioned, the only one I'd pay to have his sig is Steranko. Do you read his Twitter? That guy is brilliantly insane.
I only saw Steranko once at his booth. I don't think he was at his booth for the rest of the Con. If I knew Steranko would be there, I would have brought something for him to sign. I don't follow Steranko but I will now

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Stocky Boy wrote:Dude I'll get round to reading all of this soon. Looks like you still managed to get shit loads signed despite how crowded NYCC is getting.
Where's my goddamn review?