Feeling overwhelmed

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

jedispyder

Feeling overwhelmed

Post by jedispyder »

Anyone else beginning to feel overwhelmed with the amount of comics they own? I realized that majority of the space issues I have in my room is due to comics, and that's only a small percentage of my collection as the majority is still at my mom's place in a cupboard my stepdad built.

I wish I knew an easy way to sell but most of the stuff I own that I'd be willing to get rid of is stuff that goes for a whopping dollar on eBay. So if I sell a box of 250 bag/boarded comics for $250, I'd be losing near $400 on what I actually paid...

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I just hit 20 000.
I need to sell some.

You need to not think about it is a profit. More that you purchased it for entertainment.

I do believe you can deduct collectibles losses on your taxes, though.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I'm scared to find out how many comics is in my dad and mine's collection. We've got maybe 120 long boxes, maybe more now x_x

That is true, don't think of is as loss of money. That's how my mindset is and it's hard to get rid of it. Basically, I should think of it as, "sure you paid X for them but you're doing nothing with them and they're not going to increase in value so right now they're worth $0 so even if you get simply $1 you're still making money."

Part of me wishes to just give up collecting majority of series since most of the time I just end up reading them on my computer anyway. It's hard to give up certain titles...maybe if I continue to think this way I will end up starting to stop more. I have broken the cycle by dropping a few long-read titles (such as X-Factor).

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I feel the same way, (fortunately, I don't have as many comics as either of you) but every so often I wonder what I will do with my comics in 10, 20 or 30 years time.

You can't think of selling your titles in terms of profit/loss unless its your business. A fair amount of the people selling their comics on eBay are doing it just to get rid of them or make space in their home. They're people who collect comics as a hobby, not business owners or collectors looking to score a buck so a loss is expected.

And if you do decide to sell them, remember to give your BX pals first dibs before you go the route of ebay :)

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

If you want to sell them.
Spend some time bundling them up as sets and try and sell them on kijiji, or get a table at a local 1 day show, or flea market and move them that way.

That's what I'll be doing when I try and sell some of mine.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I've already pulled out about 2 long boxes full of books I want to sell. I pulle books out f that for my nephews and niece to read and the rest is in need of being sold. $1 a book is all i'll really ask for to be honest. I just need to move them out for more room. I'm looking to get trades to replace other series so I can unload the singles of those as well.

XIII

Post by XIII »

For me, it's the TPBs. I'm clearly out of space some are piling up on my desk in the living room. Others on my bedside table.
Malorie is not too happy about that.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm getting space conscious also. After I've completed one more (fairly large) run of an old series, I'm going to massively cut down on getting back issues. While the hunt is always fun, I don't want my home to be overrun by comics.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I stopped getting back issues a long while ago, only getting stuff on eBay if they were variants for a good price. There are some books I know I could never sell, but others are just asking me, "why am I still here?"

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm dreading when that day comes; to have to start selling books I worked so hard to get when I was younger purely for space. However, I think this is all the more reason going digital makes sense not only from business standpoint from a consumer standpoint as well. No more clutter of countless boxes.