My niece, the young klepto

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

jedispyder

My niece, the young klepto

Post by jedispyder »

So I was at the market with my brother and 2 year old niece. After shopping for a bit and having everything in one bag, we go to a small store and my niece grabbed some gingerroot and walks up to me and tries to casually place it in the bag of stuff we already bought. I don't think she intended to do it, but I let her know we didn't want that. Then at the next store, my niece tries to walk out holding a small bag of spice without paying for it. Again, I don't think she understood the concept of buying stuff.

We get home, put her to bed for a nap, and start unloading what we bought. My brother goes, "hey, I thought you didn't want to get any spice?" I told him I didn't, and he holds me up a thing of Mediterranean spice and go, "but didn't you buy this?" I start laughing and tell him no but that it seems that even though I stopped it twice, Josie still managed to put something in the bag! We both near died laughing, it was just one of those moments where everything "clicked" and you couldn't not laugh.

Anyone ever have this happen?

When I was younger, I was pretty much a klepto. I stole about $50 worth of pogs/slammers, and mind you those are like $0.50 a piece so I nabbed a lot. Then I moved on up to action figures and stuff before stopping for awhile. Then when I was in Italy I saw a really cool keychain that I wanted so I quietly nabbed that. I stopped for awhile but I've had a couple of other "hiccups" from time to time. I'm always tempted with small items but I can usually restrain myself enough to not do it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I did at some point, too.

I think it's a phase all kids go through.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

I never did it but probably because I was a rather coward kid and the fear of getting caught stopped me. I knew my father would make small wood of me if I was caught stealing stuff.
I did once stole a book but not on purpose. I was about 8 and at the supermarket, my mom had agreed to buy me a book from my then-favourite series. I was happy that I kept the book in my hand, cause I didn't want it damaged by other goods in the cart. When we got to counter, my mom was paying and reloading all the groceries in the cart when I realised the book was still in my hand. I had completely forgotten to give it back to my mom to pay for it and no one noticed. I was rather ashamed and afraid and the first thing that came to my mind was to hide the book behind my back until we left the store. I never told anyone, not even my mom.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I was caught once. It was when my leg was broken and I had just stolen a whole bunch of pogs. I'm at a grocery store and see a package with a particular pog I wanted, so I just opened the package and grab the one I wanted, ditching the rest. Some little kid ratted me out, so I had a plain clothes cop "chase" me down in the store. I only got slapped on the wrist for doing it.