Switching Comic Shops

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Mr Wallstreet

Switching Comic Shops

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I hate to do it but I'm not pleased with my current LCS "Manhattan Comics" formerly "Cosmic Comics".

The store, under the previous management had deals that were identical to Midtown comics and almost always ordered enough comics. The new Management got rid of the deals and much to my dismay did not honor all the store credit that I and many others had accrued, even though they said they would.

Finally the problem I am running into more frequently is the increasing under-ordering of comics. It used to happen once in a while but now it happens a few times a month - which is too much for my liking.

With a heavy heart I am forced to take my business to Midtown Comics which is a shame because the staff at Manhattan Comics are a really great group of people.

Anyone else have this problem?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I have seen it before.

I've only ever really used two comic stores, but frequent enough to see it.

There is a store by my house, that I will go pick up stuff from on day of release if I think it will be tricky to find. The order a lot of indie stuff, but don't order well.

For example:
It is now month 2 of DCNU. They still don't have enough for their regular customers, and are sold out Wednesday afternoon. The owner refuses to order more, since no one was pre-ordered it.
This happens with other books as well, but DCNU is a great example.

The getting rid of deals would have me shop somewhere, especially if that includes no discount on your pull list.

The only place that has a discount on pull lists in Calgary is the place listed above, and they expect a $50 deposit for 15% off, minimum 10 book order. I refuse to pay someone to garuntee my business. Factor in they want you to get your books weekly, then what the hell is the point of a pull list?

Under-ordering and no deals is killing smaller stores. It's driving everyone to larger stores. It's happening a lot in Calgary. There is only 1 store people know of that will have everything they want and they'll go there.

It's a shame, because there actually is one other store that has everything, but no one knows about it and it's a shit hole so no one goes.

A least Midtown should have all your comics and a pretty decent discount.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I have switched shops before but not for any good reason like that. Back in elementary school, a good friend's dad owned a comic shop and it was there that I created my first file/pull list. He was pretty far away and then he moved to a place that was closer but still farther away. Eventually he went out of business and I switched to my current shop, and I've been there for a good 15 or so years.

The current place I'm at is also the first place I really got into comics. And while I never had a pull list there, I always felt like it was my first shop.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I've already started shopping at Midtown Comics, I'm just not looking forward to the "break up" with Manhattan Comics