NYCC 2011!!!

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

All I've been doing is taking pictures. I just hope they come out okay.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

New York Comic Con Pre Con Day 1

Unfortunatley, the weather for Con weekend wasn't as delightful as last year's. It was cloudy, gray, dreary & drizzled on and off all day. It wasn't cold but a light jacket was in order. The most annoying thing about the rain was that it wasn't raining hard enough to warrant an umbrella but it was annoying nonetheless.

I got to the Javits Center at 10:00am and met up with Wulf's friend, who then hooked me up with an Exhibitor Pass. I wanted to stay and do some shopping then but I had to run a few errands and it was just as well because at 10:00am, nothing was really set up. Booths were being put up, exhibitors were just starting to unload their trucks, forklifts were cruising around. Crap was littered everywhere on the floor. It wasn't like last year where pretty much every thing was set up the day before the Con.

So after I complete my errands, I head back to the Javits center around 1:00pm for some real sightseeing and shopping. A lot more exhibitors had set up. There was still jnk littered in a lot of areas but there was more stuff out there to look at.

The Con floor was set out similar to last year with one or two changes. Like last year the Con floor was broken up into two major areas. The entire right side of the floor was for comic exhibitors & comic booths. DC, Image, Darkhorse, Archaia, Aspen, IDW, Boom Studios and a few of the other smaller press were clustered around the center with exhibitors and other booths surrounding them.

Then you walk through a short hallway and it takes you to the left side of the Con floor which consists of artist alley & most of the gaming exhibitions.

The Marvel booth isn't located where all the other comic booths are. The Marvel Booth is located on the left side of the Con floor right smack in the middle of the gaming booths and not too far from artist alley. It's definitely awkwardly placed to put it and I have no idea WhyTF it's there. It took me the better half of the day to actually find the Marvel Booth because while all the other comic booths had nearly completed set up or where in the midst of setting up, Marvel didn't start their booth set up until around 5:00pm.

Artist Alley itself wasn't even set up at that point and I can only pray that it gets set up late tonight or early tomorrow with a list of who is sitting where.

Now for what I scored:

Sweet Tooth vol 3: Animal Armies
Morning Glories vol 1
Ultimate Comics: Hulk vs. Wolverine
The Walking Dead vol 14: No Way Out
Arkham Asylum: Living Hell by Dan Slott & Ryan Sook
Batman: Arkham Reborn: By David Hine & Jermey Haun
Batman: The Bat & The Beast by Peter Milligan
Superman/Shazam: First Thunder
JLA/WildCats by Grant Morrisson
True Faith By Garth Ennis
The Hood HC: By Brian K Vaughan
Batman: Arkham City #1 Variant Cover
JLA: Heaven's Ladder: by Mark Waid & Bryan Hitch reprinted in a normal sized format.

Needless to say that after 7 hours of walking, my feet & calves are killing me. Pop some pills tonight and head out early again. I hope the Image & Darkhorse booths are set up. I got some stuff that needs gettin'!!!

Pics will be forthcoming...in like half hour or so...

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Facebook is being a bitch and freezing my pics rather than uploading them...

EDIT

F it, I'll try and do it tomorrow

Goodnight all

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Pics are uploaded to facebook (F'ing finally...) Don't expect anything super cool just yet. It Yesterday everything was in the very stages of being set up. Will take more today

XIII

Post by XIII »

Great score. Glad to read your report. It's so strange not to be there.
There was a "retailer" breakfast this morning. Any chance you got there?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Natascha tells you all that NYCC 2013 should be the return of BX to NYCC.

XIII

Post by XIII »

In the meantime, let's try to do London, Lille, Leeds...

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yes, until 2013 (sorry, slight mistake back there) that sounds like a grand plan.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Wally is the man!

2013... marked off in my calender.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I wonder if I can book a flight now...

MGM

Post by MGM »

For 2013? HAH! I'll expect early-booking reduction.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Damn, could only do for 2012, not 2013.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

2013 you say?

I think if I start now... I might be able to do that...

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I may even be up for 2013....

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

2 years notice.

Flights hotel and expenses total what?
2000 max in north America?

I think I did it for 1500 last year.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Simon will be 2.5 years old. I can safely leave him with his mum and get 6 days off to do NYCC. Unless of course the comics market dies within the next 2 years and NYCC is only about manga cosplay and TV shows and video games.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:Simon will be 2.5 years old. I can safely leave him with his mum and get 6 days off to do NYCC. Unless of course the comics market dies within the next 2 years and NYCC is only about manga cosplay and TV shows and video games.

It's sad this is possible.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sorry I've been MIA. On Thursday, after the Con, I wrote down this incredibly sexy post about everything that happened but it got eaten up by the internet and I was too pissed off and tired to re-write it. So here goes now:

My younger brother, having never been to a Con, wanted to go with me this year, so I got him in. Thursday, the Con proper opened from 4-7. We got there at 11 and began walking around and taking in the sights. In addition to my previous swag from the previous day, I also picked up from the 1/2 off lots:

Batman: Absolution by JM DeMatties
Batman: Mad Love
Secret Six: Cat's in the Cradle
Secret Six: Reptile Brain
Sweet Tooth: vol 2-3
Northlandersvol 5: Metal
and various other single issues

We did more walking & talking & pic taking all over. The Con show was expanded this year into 3 huge rooms:. The room farthest to the left was occupied by Artist Alley & various other Art purchasing related stuff. The Room in the middle was the main show room floor with all the main comic booths (DC, Image, Archaiai, Darkhorse, Aspen, Archie, Boom, IDW)

The last room was full of video gaming stuff and the Marvel Booth. As I said earlier it was placed really awkwardly. To get to the Marvel booth from Artist Alley, you have fight your way across 2 whole jam packed rooms. It's enough to majorly piss you off but I guess thats their decision.

On Thursday before the Con even began I got a ton of sigs & pics from artists who were walking around. I got:

Paolo Rivera: DareDevil #1
Tim Sale: Batman: Ghosts
Cliff Chiang: Wonder Woman #1
Ardian Syaf: Batgirl #1
Got a pic & siggy with Katie Cook
All Star Western by Jimmy Palmiotti.
Northlanders vol 5 signed by Wood
...shit I know there were more I just can't remember for shit.

Oh btw, Robert Kirkman is now in the running with Jim Lee for having the longest signing line ever. The Kirkman line for a signing started at the Image Booth and extended all the way to Artist Alley. Jimmy Palmiotti is a funny guy. Before the Con even began on thursday, he was walking around the Image booth asking in a loud voice: Where's the free shit?

The Con did have its problems though. The biggest was that Artist Alley wasn't completely set up until after the Con opened its doors. The rows didn't have the letter's set up help Con goers identify where they were or where artist would be seated, nor were the easels set up that told you where each artist was located. You'd be walking around in circles looking for artists. Some artists were outright sitting in the wrong spots because they couldn't find th NYCC staff to help find their seats. Also, they didn't list any of the artists who'd cancelled and several artist did cancel including Adam Hughes. His table had everything set up and there was a huge line waiting for him. No one told them he'd be coming for at least an hour. So yeah that was a kind of a big clusterhump

I saw other artists there but didn't bother because I had stuff signed from them already. i.e. Lenil Yu, Franchis Manupaul, Stephane Roux, Shane Davis, Mike Mickone etc...

The Con show ended at 7 and even though there were kicking people out, as exhibitors, we could have stayed if we wanted to but I was dead tired.

For the last two days Peter Milligan was perched atop the Arkham City Banner in the DC Booth screaming for Andy. I didn't have the heart to tell him he wasn't here this year. ;)

More about Friday later.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

wolf_2099 wrote:Wally is the man!

2013... marked off in my calender.
No problem at all. Besides, it's not as though you wouldn't or haven't done the same for me in the past.

XIII

Post by XIII »

You got Tim Sale? I'm so jealous!!!