Happy News II

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Job Update:

Just got a phone call about an hour ago about said 6th grade position. I have an interview on Thursday. They've already gotten 20 applications, and they're only interviewing 6. I ended up choosing the first interview time slot. It'll be a panel of about 7 people in 30 minutes total.

Bit nervous as I know some of them so it could be slightly awkward, and I don't want to seem too comfortable. But I'm hoping for the best. Second round of interviews drops it from 6 people to 2 and you interview with the Superintendent. But I'll burn that bridge when or if I get there.
I would strongly reccomend that you take out some time to practice your interviewing skills. Practice with friends just to break the ice and see how you sound. Then you practice with professionals. They're the ones who are learned on recieving interviews and can tell you what you're doing right and wrong. Always ask for feedback when you interview with anyone offering a position whether you get the job or not.

There's no harm in being confident, just don't come off as arrogant. Most importantly when interviewing, relax, be yourself and think carefully before you speak

Then, Friday, I'll celebrate graduation by going to Motor City Con, where I hope to get a sketch from a few of the following: Clay Mann, Aaron Lopresti, Georges Jeanty, and Katie Cook.
Lopresti & Jeanty!!!

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I greatly appreciate that. I've had a few mock interviews before for Education classes, but they were over a semester ago so I'm just now trying to shake the dust off. The real problem with finding time to practice with professionals now is that the Interview is in 2 days, and I'm not student teaching anymore, so I'm not in a school or able to just go in and use those resources like I was before. Had I gotten the notification a week ago, I could've done that much easier.

I called my friend who graduated last year with an Ed. degree for tips, but found out he had no interviews at all due to the high volume of Social Studies teachers in the state. So needless to say, I lost a bit there. I've already got some insight into questions I'll be asked so I've practiced answers to those. My biggest problem is I have to be concise. I tend to over explain things and I can't do that in a 30 minute interview with 7 people on a panel.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:

I called my friend who graduated last year with an Ed. degree for tips, but found out he had no interviews at all due to the high volume of Social Studies teachers in the state. So needless to say, I lost a bit there. I've already got some insight into questions I'll be asked so I've practiced answers to those. My biggest problem is I have to be concise. I tend to over explain things and I can't do that in a 30 minute interview with 7 people on a panel.
Practice what you think will be the most obvious questions. Write down your answers if you have to to and cut them down till they are short and concise.

I imagine you can probably figure out what they will most likely ask, or at least the broad stroke questions.

It's obvious advice, but I found it helped me quite a bit.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Going over and over it in my head as I'm driving around or working something. I've got answers to the bigger questions I know I'll have but it's the random ones I'm not really sure about that I'm still hammering out.

All things going, I'm pretty happy just to make it this far. If it goes well I'll know in a week or so. If not, I'll be on to the next one just as well.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I did not get the job after what I thought was a pretty good interview, but the Principal let me know today rather than have me wait until Wednesday. About 30+ teachers were let go in another local school system within the last 2 weeks, and I was up against teachers with more experience so that ended up being my downfall it seems. Pretty upset about it as it was my first choice, but these things do happen.

More upset at the fact that I got the call as we were leaving Motor City Con where I'd had an awesome time, so it put a big downer on the day. But I had a great time at MCC, and all of my sketches are up on fbook so if you want go check them out.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep on looking and hope something great comes along or I hear from another school soon.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

That really sucks, sorry to hear that!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sucks that you did not get it Tragic, but keep your head up and keep pushing forward.