European Vacation

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Fasheem

European Vacation

Post by Fasheem »

Where should I go? What should I do? I'm in the beginning stages now of planning this but I think I'll go for the full month of July.

I'm trying to get a ticket for the Gothic Music Festival in Belgium July 24-26 but might be too late. Already talked to MGM about seeing the Grocery Stores of Holland. Will probably make a booty call with my ex in Berlin. I want to look at some castles and shit too. And drink lots of beer. What other good things are there to see and do?

I don't really have a budget, is ~3500 EUR reasonable for a month of cheapish touring around? Staying in hostels and such.

:coffee:
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

MGM

Post by MGM »

I think the €3500 should be enough, certainly if you keep to hostels. And if you want to drink lots of beer, Belgium IS a good place to go. On castles: I know there are TONS of them in the Dordogne (part of France). But than, you're in France, and I know that's a part of Europe no one wants to be. :D In the Mosel Valley in Germany are a lot of castles as well, but they're totally different castles.

It really depends on what you want to do, 'cause a month of Europe in the vincinity of Germany/Holland/Belgium, I'd add a few days Paris as well. Expensive, but worth it.

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

I'd imagine you want to avoid as many pissed up brits as possible so id avoid pretty much all of spain. If you decide too go to spain id avoid the holiday hotspots, they will be rammed ful of us in july :). I agree with MGM, belgium has quality beer (as does germany) and i know that in atleast brugge there is atleast one castle (went on a school trip).
:chewie:

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

France, maybe.

Spain, doubtful.

Austria was highly recommended to me last night. The guy only meant to go for a couple days and ended up staying for a month. He spent about 1700 euro in a month which is not bad.

I've been thinking about the money thing and seriously considering picking up some extra work in the next couple months. It's illegal, but, well, money.
ⓒ had to change it cause the caps were driving me nuts but still don't post any of this on Facebook 'kay

The French Biscuit

Post by The French Biscuit »

Scotland's supposed to have some cool castles, though Austria is gorgeous too.

Does this vacation include a BX meet-up? :D
Biscuit AWAY!

Your awesomeness is akin to bottling a hurricane. It cannot be done - Mr. Wallstreet

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Scotland, very doubtful.

I'll meet MGM for sure. Not sure about the rest of BX. Wasn't planning to go to Britain, just want to tour around that one little area. I don't want to do the "world tour" vacation where you only get to spend a few days in each country and you're always running to the next place.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Well, the Brit and the French boy could always go out of their way and meet you, instead of the other way around. :D

Austria's got beautiful scenery, but Vienna is best viewed in two or three days. Of course, I'm more of a city-trip person than a go and see countryside person.

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

apart from stonehenge and maybe a few castles i dont think theres many touristy things to do in britain.

And i very much doubt ill be traveling to mainland europe in July. I will be in Ibiza for the first 10 days
:chewie:

XIII

Post by XIII »

Bloody Hell!!! It'd be awesome to meet you but I must say unless you travel to Paris, I don't think I'll have much chance of going abroad.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Dude, Holland! How can you not love it? Just skip Eindhoven. :D

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

XIII wrote:Bloody Hell!!! It'd be awesome to meet you but I must say unless you travel to Paris, I don't think I'll have much chance of going abroad.
You live in Paris now?

I was thinking about it, just for a couple days to look around. Probably couldn't afford more than a couple days anyway.

MGM

Post by MGM »

No, he doesn't. But Paris is exactly halfway him and me. He could drive there and take a hotel. Or at least, I'm assuming that's what he meant.

And you should do Paris. If only to go up that damn tower.

Goshin

Post by Goshin »

I hear amsterdam is pretty nice...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

XIII

Post by XIII »

MGM wrote:No, he doesn't. But Paris is exactly halfway him and me. He could drive there and take a hotel. Or at least, I'm assuming that's what he meant.

And you should do Paris. If only to go up that damn tower.
What I meant is I could take a train to Paris and crash at my sister's place, right next to the Louvres. :D

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

XIII wrote:What I meant is I could take a train to Paris and crash at my sister's place, right next to the Louvres. :D
One of my students said he liked a French movie "13 something", and I thought of you.

Holy christ does a bank transfer to Belgium cost a lot of money. 20 euros!!! That's fucking madness.

CountD

Post by CountD »

Amsterdam. I had so much fun there.

Rome, Italy is nice.

Athens, Greece.

CountD

Post by CountD »

Fasheem wrote:
I've been thinking about the money thing and seriously considering picking up some extra work in the next couple months. It's illegal, but, well, money.
DA FUG?

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

It's illegal to do any work outside of my work visa in South Korea. My visa is for teaching English at one location, for one employer. If I do anything else (including teaching English at a school down the road) I can get busted and deported.

XIII

Post by XIII »

With a fine on top of it?

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Probably. The fine is only like a million won though, it would be the least of my worries. If all that would happen is I had to pay a fine, I'd be all over that shit working illegal privates day and night.