Life and TV

You know what to do!

Moderator: Sandman

Stocky Boy

Life and TV

Post by Stocky Boy »

Anyone been motivated to dress similar to a favourite TV character?

There was this one guy this saturday in my local comic shop. Lean, tall guy. Don't recall seeing him before, but apparantly a regular. Smelt of BO! Walking fucking stereotype! To further this image of a stereotype, he had a long trenchcoat on. However, it was no ordinary trenchcoat, it was The Doctor's coat!

He proudly explained to the owner of the comic shop how it was exactly so-and-so Doctor Who's coat and he was ordering a custom made velvet-y shirt to complete the look. He proudly stated that he was turning heads in the pub and kids noticd him in the street and would stop to tell their mummy it was Doctor Who.

He doesn't consider himself to be a cosplayer.

I suppose it's all cool, if this is what he likes. He's not harming anyone, but he sounded so enthusiastically proud of his coat and it's ability to turn heads, which I presume is more down to him looking like a 'tit' in his coat, than because people think it's so 'cool', which presumably is what he thinks.
Does this guy need to be pulled aside and have it explained to himself that, "dude - you're a little too into this crap", or is he normal?

The other point is, god forbid I ever sound like I'm too 'into it'.

Oh and he's very dissapointed that people say, "Doctor Who" and not the better, more correct, "The Doctor". The velvety waist jacket thing sounds like it will cost a fucking fortune! He kept throwing around this figure of £1,000 / $1,400.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Stocky Boy wrote:Anyone been motivated to dress similar to a favourite TV character?
Happily: No. I have never been compelled to imitate art (except on Halloween). :freddy:
Does this guy need to be pulled aside and have it explained to himself that, "dude - you're a little too into this crap", or is he normal?
I don't think so. Like you said, the guy isn't harming anyone so let him have his little bit of fun. Lord knows, it sounds like he needs it.

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

Yeah I agree. The guy sounds like he's had a sever lack of positive attention in his life.
As long as he isn't hurting anyone, let 'im carry on I guess.

I've been inspired by tv characters before...but not to the cosplay lengths.
I've like, picked up a coat because it looked like "that one Buffy wore in that one episode that looked so cool". But in the end, I picked it up more because it looked cool then 'cuz "Buffy wore one".

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

A few times in Windsor I walked past/drove past some guy that must of thought he was Neo... same coat, sunglasses, haircut... I don't know why but some of the druggies I know took to rolling down the window and addressing him (shouting across traffic actually) as Our Dark Overlord.
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

Stockson, you need to beat him up for his lunch money.

I think you should let him be and shake your hear n tut tut well beyond his reach. It's probably his one release in life, looking like THE DOCTOR.

There are so many fucking 18-19 year olds at my school with japanese ninja headbands and those cat ear hats and it makes me fear for the future slightly.

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

This reminds me. There was this guy I saw at uni, who was a little ahead of me on my way to the town centre. He had a black top hat on a black cane, elaborate boots, black trousers and shirt and a black overcoat. I believe he had purple tinted sunglasses too and a goatee and long curly, brown hair.

Think he was going for a look?

Again, he's not harming anybody, but is he a little too detached from reality, seeking a bit too much attention?
It kind of seems like being a kid and having the latest, bestest lunch box or something and wanting everyone to take note, except now you're an adult and although we all like to attract attention, we kind of do it within established, slightly more subtle parameters now.

Tyran-ne

Post by Tyran-ne »

William McDert wrote: ... and those cat ear hats and it makes me fear for the future slightly.
Um...um...um...but, in my neck of the woods, they aren't common at all...and stuff. :sweatdrop:

ChimeraCreative

Tyran-ne wrote:Um...um...um...but, in my neck of the woods, they aren't common at all...and stuff. :sweatdrop:
hehe, Sarah has two hats with cat ears, one actually has long scarfy cat paw attachments... I have the cutest picture to prove it... :reddevil:

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

do want, an, dooooo WANT

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Stocky Boy wrote:

Again, he's not harming anybody, but is he a little too detached from reality, seeking a bit too much attention?
Depends. Is he going out of his way to show off his attire to others? If not, then he's probably off in his own little world and is (mostly) blissfully ignorant of what others are saying behind his back.

I don't mind these type of characters too much. Sure they clearly look funny to one degree or another by dressing up as their hero, but it helps to break up some of the monotony of the day-to-day grind.

And they bring a smile to my face. They let me know I haven't fallen that far just yet. :)

ChimeraCreative

This is a little off topic, but whatever.

Out at a Denny's on a late Saturday night a couple weekends ago and surrounded by drunken buffoons. Two tables back and four to the right there was a one fella and pair of ladies (one constantly texting, the other would not stop boring the man with them with her yak yak yak). I'll be damned if the texting lady was wearing a top with an extreme low cut, showing off lines of text tattooed across her chest. The way the words were arranged, it was kinda like a letter. I very badly wanted to know what was so important it had to be tattooed on, but I never got the chance. I knew our mutual waitress, so I asked her what it said but she had no idea either. ^_^

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Now after hearing how many eccentric fellows Stocky has encountered, I'm tempted to don a loincloth and start running through the streets screaming "CROM"

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

Please don't add to my list, Wally! :D

Remain 'centered'.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Do it!!! And then we can all watch it on YouTube and share in your glory!!!

William McDert

Post by William McDert »

btw, the fact the he doesn't consider himself a "cosplayer" or some variation of the word... Well, that's just ignorance on his part I think...

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

I think it's a defiant act of self loathing. :D

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I want Agent Booths socks and belt buckles.

Well, I kind of have his socks.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I play Star Wars Miniatures and a couple of times we've had people come in to play dressed up as Star Wars characters. They go all out, its awesome!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

jedispyder wrote:I play Star Wars Miniatures and a couple of times we've had people come in to play dressed up as Star Wars characters. They go all out, its awesome!
Come in where?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

CBKA

Post by CBKA »

I once got the urge to pour moltan metal on to my forehead ala Teal'c but bottled it (the actual act,not the metal). Does this count?
:chewie: