Forum contains (no) new posts

If it's broke, bitch about it here.

Moderator: StoneTable

MGM

Forum contains (no) new posts

Post by MGM »

This functions seems to completely not work for me. Forums are supposed to have new posts while they don't. How does this work? Because it's not convenient this way.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Also, when the board claims a forum has new posts for me, it highlights pretty much every damn topic as unread?

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

MGM wrote:Also, when the board claims a forum has new posts for me, it highlights pretty much every damn topic as unread?
That's pretty much how the New Posts search works. It shows you a list of threads that have new posts since you last read it.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Yeah, but the forum didn't have any new posts for me, that's the problem. ;)

MGM

Post by MGM »

I think I figured out what's happening. I open every new topic of a forum in a new tab and then close the tab with the forum listing the topics. I read (and reply to) the topics from the other tabs, which I close after reading or replying.

But somehow this does not make the board think I read the forum. I HAVE to go back to the forum page after I've read the topics to make sure the board thinks I've read the forum. If I don't do this, the main page will list the forum as one that contains new messages to me. This seems a bug in the software to me?

MGM

Post by MGM »

Hurm. Just testing around some things to figure out why this is bugging me. I just read a topic, hit the back button, refreshed the forum page. And the topic showed as unread! Unfair! And puzzling. Because when I did this again, it showed as read.

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

Mine is not doing it right any more. Even threads that I have never read are showing up as "not new" instead of being new until I actually read them. The only posts that show up as new for me are ones that were made while I was actually browsing. So I logged in this morning to "No New Posts". It was working right yesterday so I don't know.

StoneTable

Post by StoneTable »

Most likely it's just a setting that needs to be tweaked. The software defaults aren't exactly sane. I just made a change that might help, so give it a few more tries and let me know if that's better.

MGM

Post by MGM »

We'll keep you posted. ;)

MGM

Post by MGM »

Hah! I tested it on this forum only and it seems to work: opening topics in a new tab, reading and replying, closing tabs. The forum contains no new posts for me, according to the main page.

But strangely enough, every topic contained new posts for me, according to the forum page, while one topic was one I'd read already before.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Well, the forum realising I HAVE read the topics is working now.

The forum saying everything is new to me when I log in is not how it should work, though.

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

totes working now aye aye captain

Fasheem

Post by Fasheem »

MGM wrote:
The forum saying everything is new to me when I log in is not how it should work, though.
Yes it is shut up

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Especially when I have been posting.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

Fasheem wrote:Yes it is shut up
No, it is not. :mad: