The Boys: We Gotta Go Now (vol 4, I think)

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

The Boys: We Gotta Go Now (vol 4, I think)

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Vol 4 of The Boys was an okay read. It wasn't great or even good, just "okay". The premise was both logical in terms of the progression of the story, as well as the next batch of super heroes Ennis wanted a crack at.

The Boys go against Ennis' parody of the G-Men, a parody of the X-Men obviously, while mirroring how they are percieved in real life. There are several teams of The G-Men spread across the U.S. They are considered rebels, and outcasts whose financial sucess, if not popularity, exceeds that of The Seven. And of course the founder of the G-Men is a pedophile.

My biggest problem with this storyline was that it really seemed lacking; it was too dry and wayyyy too slow. I get that this is another parody of a group of superheroes, as well a part of the larger story Ennis is telling so its going to bear some importance but it seemed that the story just dragged. The dark sexual humor at this point didn't even illicit any laughs from me and the politics in Washington as well as with Voight-American is same ole same ole.

This is not to say that there wasn't anything interesting that happened in this story: we see the progress of Hughie's relationship, the truth behind the G-Men, a flash of things to come but it really wasn't enough.

Here's hoping the next story will be much better. Herogasm is it?