Air #1-3 (Spoilers)

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

Air #1-3 (Spoilers)

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Another series I decided to pick up at the Con and it's the second series I'm reading that is not among the usual "type" of books that I read (re: magical/weird).

AIR takes place in a post 9-11 world where we meet a seemingly normal everyday flight attendant named Blythe.

On a routine flight, Blythe meets a man named Javad. Javad is not his real name but one of several aliases he using. At first he is suspected to be a terrorist but it is revealed he is not.

We learn this because the next time Blythe meets Javad he is not dressed in middle-eastern garb but a business suit and is posing as an American. At this Blythe is not at all sure what to make of him but wants nothing to do with him or whatever he is involved in.

Another man named Benjamin Lancaster introduces himself to Blythe. Lancaster is representing an organization called the Estian Front. The gentleman's attitude towards perceived middle-easterners is obvious and tries to recruit Blythe. Blythe, though initially hesitant eventually decides to help them with a small favor by transporting a briefcase for them after his organizations quiets a scuffle aboard her plane. Transporting the briefcase soon becomes her first mistake.

Blythe becomes involved in a seemingly vast conspiracy; something far bigger than herself or the parameters of the "normal world" as she sees it. We learn that Lancaster has been tracking the man called Javad for some time because he has something his organization (The Estian Company) want. We don't yet know who Javad really is, who he is working for or what this object is that Javad is transporting.

Issue 2 & 3 is where things start to really get strange. Javad is being held prisoner in a country that doesn't exist and by using the power of belief/faith/will Blythe is able to find it & (unknowingly) help Javad escape.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Based on the first 3 issues, I don't know what to make of the series save that I am intrigued. I have no clue whats going on, who the bad guys are and who the good guys are. For all Lancaster's evil mustache twisting and posturing, he could be a savior and Javad really could be the bad guy. Right now everyone is colored in varying degrees of gray.

Upon first briefly hearing about this title I thought that this would be another run-of-the mill conspiracy story set in a post 9-11 world trying to deal with the reprecussions of terrorism on American soil and how it has changed the world. After issue #1 that was exactly what I thought it would be. But issue #2 & 3 threw me for a loop. I did not at all see that coming (re: the lost country and Blythe's ability to find it). Clearly there is more at work here than what was originally advertised. And again, I really didn't see that bit coming nor did I understand it the first time around. I re-read issue #2 &3 twice to get a better sense of them.

It's more than just another modern-day political thriller using middle-eastern countries and trying desperately to be relevant. There is romance, cynicism, the current geopolitical landscape and "magic" at work here all linked together and wrapped up in a mystery. Like 100 Bullets or any other Vertigo series, were getting bits and pieces of information so nothing is certain yet.

By the weekend I'm hoping to have read issues #4-6.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Let me know how 4-6 is, I want to know if this is worth reading
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

XIII

Post by XIII »

#4-6 go further into the strange and magic stuff.
It's definitely not what I expected at all but I still enjoy it. Even I have a tough time with the art.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

|Magic?

Stocky Boy

Post by Stocky Boy »

My enjoyment of this series is a bit like my enjoyment ofHouse of Mystery. It's written well. It has intrigue. I'm not blown over, but I do like it and am quite happy picking up the next issue.
The series has gone completely left-field recently and it's holding my interest. It's a bit like, "where the fuck did the vampires come from?!", like when watching From Dusk Till Dawn.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I am intrigued. I will read issue 2.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

XIII wrote:#4-6 go further into the strange and magic stuff.
It's definitely not what I expected at all but I still enjoy it. Even I have a tough time with the art.
The art is a bit of a tough sell for me as well. It's not hideous but its not great either. doesn't seem to flow naturally with the story the way Rissou's art merges so wonderfully with Azerallo's story or Harris' with Vaughan's Ex Machina.

Still an interesting read though. The Fantasy aspect came out of left field

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Oh thank god. I thought I was the only one with the art.

Although, Willow Wilson is cute.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

The big question is do you think Azzerallo is cute?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I want to tug on his goatee.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

That's not his goatee you're tugging on...>_<

XIII

Post by XIII »

Oh yeah, she is damn cute!! Even with that weird ear to nose piercing.
I also like how every issue has a hell of a cliffhanger.