Southern Bastards

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

Southern Bastards

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I really enjoyed this and thought the 1st issue was particularly strong. There was a lot of story, a lot of dialog, and several interesting/shitty characters. It's a very familiar setting in 2 respects 1) : the main character returns home after spending X amount of years abroad (for nameless reasons) and is only staying long enough to sort out a few things. However, before he leaves he presumably gets sucked back into whatever hellhole he was trying to escape. 2) The opening reads similar to Scalped where Dash returns home after a prolonged absence.

And story. There was a lot of story jammed into this book. Not just on the panels but between them as well. You had to put a few pieces together based on what happened in the panels and what was implied.

The art fit really well. I think this was my first real exposure to Jason Latour and his art is a nice compliment to the tone and location of the story. Everyone has a puffy and greasy look about them like they've been eating too much McDonalds.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I didn't think it was too bad, and I agree the art did fit the story rather well. However, I just wasn't as thrilled with it as I had hoped. It was an interesting story, but I also feel comfortable leaving the book as a sort of stand alone issue for me, as I don't think I'll be getting this one regularly.

I'd rather save the money and actually pick up Scalped, which I'm interested in reading, every few months by buying a trade rather than 6-7 issues of this.

Not a bad story in any means, but just not for me.

It did feel like I was reading something truly set in the South. I could hear the drawl in the voices and and feel the tension you often get when you're in a Southern town and you're not from there. I've been in that situation before (in terms of being recognized as an 'outsider' in a Southern Town).

MGM

Post by MGM »

The book thus far (just the one issue) definitely does not live up to it's hype. Granted, the hype was too big even for a complete series of, say, Scalped. It was interesting, sure, but the first issue of Scalped was better (to compare it with that). I'll definitely keep up with it for a few issues, but so far I'm not sold for good.

Also, I fucking hate the South and their speech patters, so yeah...

XIII

Post by XIII »

I liked it, I'm onboard for what's coming next.
I doesn't strike me as overhyped though. You have to give it a few issues before you can judge that I think.
For example, I was underwhelmed by the first issue of Velvet but not that I'm 5 issues in I can definitely say it's overhyped.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Also, Jason Aaron can do no wrong. NO WRONG so you are all sinners and will burn in Southern Hell.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Southern Hell is actually one of the scariest Hells. I know. I've had to listen to a Southern Baptist preacher before.

Also, Arn, you're not enjoying Velvet as much?

XIII

Post by XIII »

It's alright but nowhere near as good as everyone makes it out to be. It's not better than Criminal or Fatale and when it comes to female spy comic book, Queen & Country is miles ahead of it.

MGM

Post by MGM »

I agree, although I enjoy Velvet more than Fatale. But maybe that's because getting Fatale means I'm not getting Criminal.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'm looking at getting Fatale in trade. Is it well worth it, especially if I'm enjoying Velvet?

MGM

Post by MGM »

It's well worth the buy, but it is nothing whatsoever like Velvet. Also, buy Bru's books in singles. More content.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm enjoying Velvet, but I think the problem with Velvet is not the story itself but the unrealistic expectations people have about it.

I love the spy vs. spy stuff and what makes Velvet appealing is that it's not trying to be Queen & Country or Criminal. It's got a James Bond feel to it with a bit of Bourne Identity action in it. And unlike Q&C it's not that gritty or set up with that many real world rules. i.e. in the first issue when Velvet jumped out the window with that body glider thing and surviving.

I'm not sure I'd recommend Fatale. Fatale was marketed as a horror comic but it's more of a supernatural thriller. It's also in large part detective story set throughout recent history. It's a good book but a slow read.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I'm looking at getting Fatale in trade. Is it well worth it, especially if I'm enjoying Velvet?
If you trade-wait, you must Hardcover trade-wait. As Dutchie said, the singles have more content (articles about Pulp stuff) and the only way to get this content in collected editions is to get the HC.
Also, if you like Velvet and want to try more Brubaker, chase the Sleeper book from DC. It was awesome.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

The only hardcover that's out is the first 10 issues I think, and we have that. We also have the first four TPBs. I like the idea of a supernatural noir and would like to read it, but yeah I'd want the back material as well. Is that for sure in the HC versions?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

A couple more issues in and I'm really digging Southern Bastards.

I think this is gonna be a great series

MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm thinking I'm getting this title as well. I'll have to ask my retailer if they can get back-copies.

XIII

Post by XIII »

*spoilers sorry*

Fuck, anybody read #4? It went and pulled a Game of Thrones on us, totally didn't expect that. Punch in the gut.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Dude, spoilers!

I still haven't gotten mine yet.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Sorry!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

My issue was delayed and I just got it this past week and I had the same reaction.

That was an intense issue.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Issue 4 Spoilers:

I read issue 4 a few weeks after it came out and the ending really surprised me but I didnt get what exactly happened. I thought Earl Tubb just took a really hard bad beating and we'd see him next issue in bad shape but recovering - cause who dies in the first story of their own series. I just read issue 5&6 today and realized that Earl died in issue 4. Total wtf.

Also, issues 5&6 were great as they provided backstory to Euless Boss. Apparently he wasn't always a giant gaping asshole.