SAGA #1

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

SAGA #1

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

What did everyone think? I still have yet to read my issue which I'll do this week.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Eh. So-so.

They lost me with the talking heads.
It was good for an Image 1, but not good enough for the hyped return of BKV to comics, and not good enough for a BKV comic.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I thought it was fantastic. Lot of very different things mixed with typical cliches. I'm definitely sticking with it.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I think Saga, like other BKV books isn't about having a single great issue but telling an overall fantastic story.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Finally read it and I'd say it was a great first issue. There were a lot of talking heads but it wasn't Bendis-style talking heads where all the characters are hanging around talking about nothing (see any or all of his tie-ins). Nearly every single page was jam packed with narrative and dialogue, all of which was either informative, setting up future plots or important to the story.

A couple of things stood out for me, it seemed like the male lead: Marko reminds me a (much) more mature Yorick while still maintaining his humor and Alana, seems to have some personality traits in common with Agent 355. Maybe I'm just projecting but thats the impression I got from the characters.

One criticism though: There was one point where there seemed to be information overload; when the narrative was explaining the various political and warring factions and the galaxies and planets involved. Beyond that, a solid first issue. I'm on for the long run.