Image Releases

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

wolf_2099

Image Releases

Post by wolf_2099 »

DoWiith the huge hype regarding new releases of Image firsts like;

Undying Love
Nonplayer
Blue Estate
Li'l Depressed Boy
Carbon Grey
Butcher Baker
Memoir
Mission
And so on

I thought we could use a thread to discuss them.
Do they live up to the hype? Are any particular good?

Is the second, or third isssues still good? We normally hear a bunch of reviews on the first issue but not whether they keep over the next issues.

I have most of these on my bedside and will update as I read them, but I will say I am really, really enjoying the murder mystery Memoir.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

MGM

Post by MGM »

Butcher Baker's first issue was pretty entertaining, Memoir's still good after 3 issues. 27 was pretty good as well, looking forward to the second mini of that one.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I've heard almost nothing about any of these titles and I check newsarama & CBR once a day.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I picked up Nonplayer and Undying Love but haven't read them yet.

Memoir is very interesting, not that great but not horrible. Basically a whole town has a case of amnesia and can't forget events that happened. The main character is a reporter trying to figure out what really happened, whether it was a real case of amnesia or everyone just claims to have forgotten what happened. The art isn't that great and it's B&W, which kind of makes it not as great.

I read the first issue of Infinite Vacations but haven't had a chance for issue #2 yet (since it came out yesterday). I really loved the first issue, very unique idea that reminds me of something Philip K Dick would write.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:I've heard almost nothing about any of these titles and I check newsarama & CBR once a day.
It's because they are pretty much all Marvel & DC. Get off to the smaller sites, or bleeding cool, and there is a bunch of talk.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Yeah, Newsarama basically is Marvel and DC's lapdog now. They used to be a really great news site but not anymore. I think the final nail in the coffin for me was when they disabled the discussion boards and comments for articles. I get all my news/rumors from BleedingCool...

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

jedispyder wrote:Yeah, Newsarama basically is Marvel and DC's lapdog now. They used to be a really great news site but not anymore. I think the final nail in the coffin for me was when they disabled the discussion boards and comments for articles. I get all my news/rumors from BleedingCool...
It's the only place that has widespread smaller publication coverage. And as much as I dislike some of their writers, it's still the best going.

I realized that made me sound like I thought they did a bad job.

They do a very good job of covering it, they just need a few more main writers, imo.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

They also need an editor of some kind, I find a lot of grammatical errors on the stuff they write.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Assuming you manage to get this in time, if they have #2, just want me to grab 1 and 2?

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Probably too late now but if so sure, grab both of them if they have it.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Infinite Vacation and Undying Love are TPB material for me. The price is a bit high on the singles (especailly for mini's).

XIII

Post by XIII »

I have Butcher Baker one here, waiting to read.
I also have Memoir, a bit disappointed by this one so far.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Store I am going to this aft has BB 1, so I'll grab it then. Hopefully they have 2 as well, will let you know in a couple hours.

The store last night did not have it.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Got one and two, let me know your addy and I can mail them this weekend

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I finally got around to reading the first issue of Undying Love. Have to say, pretty cliched story but it was downright badass. Basically the main character, John, is on a hunt to find the Master Vampire that turned his love, Mei, so she can be free of the vampiric curse. Instead of the normal type of vampire books, he fights them with semi-automatic weapons. Can't wait for next issue to come out...

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Image Plugs!

Last of the Greats, as mention here.
It’s a superhero comic written by a rising star in the industry. Writer Joshua Hale Fialkov told the NYCC today that he’s spent ten times as long on each issue as on his other work. It’s a comic that could be described as Fantastic Four meets Miracleman, the last of the superhero family team that transformed the world for the better – and are now hated, and mostly killed off – and now the final member I’d needed to save the world. But only in return for recignised godhead.

I picked up the first issue yesterday, and I really, really enjoyed it. Worth a shot if you feel like trying something new.