AIR #4-6

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

AIR #4-6

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Issues read, review pending but man does this get weird

XIII

Post by XIII »

I know. I can't wait for the part happening in Lyon, France especially since Lyon's airport is called "St Exupéry", a famous writer/pilot who perished in plane.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Much of the conspiracy that Blythe was pulled into during the first few issues of AIR have been revealed and a lot more people are in on it than we first expected.

The brief not-so-confusing-version is that in the late 1920s during an excavation at an Aztec site, a group of archaeologists discovered a "device" that helps transport people almost instantaneously from one place to the next. This device cannot be used by anyone and the only people who seem to have a gift for using it are women so the U.S. government created a regiment to train women to become pilots. One of whom was Amelia Earhart. Earhart's mission is believed to have ended in failure when her plane dissapeared. In truth, she never died/dissapeared. She merely reached the "end of the world". She made it back to civilization, in the early 90s to discover herself not having aged a day.

The device, which only a certain few can use, is being fought over by greedy organizations, dictators, extremists, gangsters and corrupt nations not just because it will replace fossil fuel but because it will be the next great power for the new generation.

The title doesn't have me hooked just yet but I'm pulled further and further into it. The fantasy aspect combined with the Sci-fi is great. It's kind of like LOST but not being confined to one shitty island :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

I remember that at NYCC 2008, Willow had said Air would be "Umberto Eco meets Alias".
Would you agree with that?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I'm not familiar with Umberto Eco or his work but I agree with the other description I saw on the cover of AIR where it was compared to Gabriel Garcia Marquez's work.

I've read some of Marquez work and it definitely has that unusual Fantasy aspect to it while trying to keep one foot in reality to some degree.

MGM

Post by MGM »

You're not familiar with Umberto Eco? Time to update your booklist!

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I am. That's why I'm giving your suggestion a go. I'm trying to expand my literary horizons beyond American literature.

My reading list has almost always revolved around Noir, Sci-fi, horror,war, mystery, western and thrillers. They were all books that were plain and straight forward. I've never really given Fantasy much of a chance because I can't seem to understand it - which I recognize is due to my only reading a certain type of book all my life.

When I read 100 Years of Solitude, I had no idea wtf was going on. I went back and re-read it to get a better understanding of it; but that second reading was very slow and painstaking. I had to look the characters and read the story in a completely different way to kind of see what exactly the purpose of the story was and what the writer was trying to convey. I still don't know if I have all the finer points down but I am making an effort to sample some new genres.

MGM

Post by MGM »

For Eco I'd recommend The pendulum of Foucalt (or I least I think that's what it's called). I'd hardly call it easy reading. It's basically what The DaVinci Code would be if it'd actually be literature.