Scalped vol 5 & 6: High Lonesome & The Gnawing

In the land of giants, these underdogs shine.

Moderator: Mr Wallstreet

Mr Wallstreet

Scalped vol 5 & 6: High Lonesome & The Gnawing

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Fantastic stories.

Vol 5: High Lonesome gave a lot of background on the early lives of Diesel Engine, Baylis Nitz - his partners, & what really went down the night the two FBI agents were killed. We also find out some more about some less than colorful things Nitz had done early on in the Bureau and why he is so gard up to avenge his fallen agents. Also, Dashiel Bad Horse after doing enough heroin to kill a small horse tells Gina that he is FBI

Vol 6 The Gnawing had me on the edge of my seat. Red Crow committed some downright crazy acts that nearly instigated a war with the Hmongs and throughout the story you could feel the tension building as the gang war drew closer. Along with the pending gang war, Red Crow let Dash know that there was an undercover agent in his employ & he wanted Dash to find him & kill him.

This right here is why this book is so great. I had no idea how Aaron was going to resolve the Gang war without killing several dozen important characters & also without making it look like a cheap cop-out or anti-climactic (which I thought it kind of was until I read the end). Or how he was going to get Dash out of the bind Red Crow put him in. Both plots were resolved without me seeing them coming and were executed masterfully.

There were two scenes which stuck with me the most. One was Dash at his mother's grave site. It wasn't anything overly sentimental or cheesy with Dash pouring his heart out and apologizing profusely for "not being there". It was a very short & powerful scene.

The second scene which stuck with me was the final page of vol 6; after the gang war. It shows Red Crow, Bad Horse & Carol Ellroy; Red Crow's daughter each person dealing with the aftermath of their own events in their own way.

ChimeraCreative

Post by ChimeraCreative »

I read volume five tonight and rather enjoyed it. Some of the swearing is conventional but the violence and gritty stuff is top notch. It was a series of character histories for the most part, but nothing that read like hasty filler issues. Can't wait to pick up the sixth volume.

Yet another title I wouldn't of picked up if it hadn't been for youse fuckers, so thank you. And I wasn't keen on the first two volumes of The Boys but I took a chance on the third volume and now I get it. I'll be purchasing more of The Boys as well.:plotting:
Image I think my siggy is haunted. Image