Cry for Justice/Rise & Fall of Green Arrow/Arsenal

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

jedispyder

Cry for Justice/Rise & Fall of Green Arrow/Arsenal

Post by jedispyder »

I've been trying to catch up on series that I didn't collect such as Birds of Prey and Green Arrow. Just got done with the whole Robinson/Krul arc of the Cry for Justice/Rise and Fall. What a load of shit!

Cry for Justice had potential but Robinson just took a dump all over it instead. The plot had potential, the art was beautiful, but the writing was horrible. JUSTICE! JUSTICE! Over and over again, as if they'd really say things like that in those circumstances. There were several plot holes and things poorly floated over to the Green Arrow/Rise of Arsenal/JLoA arcs. I think the story had too much filler in it and it could have had better build up than it did. Robinson also tried to do too many things and just didn't pan out. His "homage" to Moore's "I did it thirty-five minutes ago" shtick was sorta nice but it fell through pretty fast.

One thing that really stuck out was the whole Tasmanian Devil thing. Prometheus killed him and used his skin as a rug. That's just fucked up. I wonder how long it'll be before someone uses the Tasmanian Devil and acts like he isn't dead.

Same with Professor IQ, I hate how they handled him. This is nothing like how he was handled in 52, which was definitely an awesome arc for him. Hoping people will forget the whole "he's been reduced to infancy" thing.

Another question that's brought up is who took Prometheus' helmet and what happened to Professor IQ? I'm guessing whoever took the helmet also rescued IQ, or maybe IQ stole the helmet himself after mysteriously recovering?

Now the fall out that was covered in Rise & Fall...wow, that was mostly complete shite. I thought JT Krul could write? The whole Rise of Arsenal was incredibly horrible and cliched. Roy holding a dead cat is utterly disturbing, especially since it looks like he planned to fuck it. And what doesn't make any sense at all is why Green Arrow was allowed out of his cell when the break in occurred. "Hey, here is this guy some of us praise and some of us hate that's being held for murder. He was a good guy so let's let him loose to catch this bad guy and just hope he comes back without any problem." Bullshit. And what's up with the house being whole? In Cry for Justice we're shown Lian being covered and surrounded in the rubble of the house. Here? Absolutely nothing wrong with the house. According to Mia, she was told to stay in the house when she left Lian. So unless the house was able to mysteriously repair itself, poor writing. I do have to admit, it was poor taste but I found it so damn hilarious when Roy became impotent with Cheshire.

The Wikipedia article for Cheshire just made me LOL: "In Justice League: Cry for Justice, Star City is destroyed by Prometheus, killing Lian.[3] Cheshire attacks Roy, outraged at him for not keeping Lian safe, injuring him in the process.[4] Both Roy and Cheshire continue to fight however Roy manages to pin Cheshire against the wall. Cheshire loses the will to fight and tearfully recalls the loss of her child. Roy comforts her and the two of them have slept together. However, due to Roy's impotence he is unable to please Cheshire in bed. Roy gets up and leave Cheshire.[5]" Oh man, guess I have some editing to do here for grammar ;)

I am intrigued as to what's going to happen with Arsenal. They say to watch the Titans: Villains for Hire book for more info, so is he possibly joining up or becoming a target?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I skipped CfJ but kept up with it, and read the Fall of Green Arrow 1 shot and issues of GA, which while they weren't well written, I don't think the blame necessarily falls to Krul entirely when he's put on the book to follow a pre plotted out script. It wasn't exactly the idea he had but what he had to follow up on post Robinson.

I skipped Rise of Arsenal after the first 2 issues weren't that great. Which was a bad side of Krul's writing, but again I wondered how much of that was pre-planned elsewhere. I won't follow up on Titans because I can't stand what they did to that book myself.

Krul's BN: Titans book was great, as well as his Titans fill in issues were well done. Which is why I'll still follow him on the Teen Titans run, and his first issue of GA wasn't terrible but it's still struggling with the Brightest Day and CfJ fallouts.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Even though Krul was following a pre-planned plot he could still have put in decent dialog. It was just bad, lol. I've read some other stuff by Krul and enjoyed it, this stuff just wasn't that great at all. I'm not saying it's all his fault, I know editorial wanted X to happen and such, but stilll...

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yea. Like I said I stopped with RoA after 2 issues because I just didn't care about it anymore, and then the cat scene came about so I was ok with it. I'm really hoping his Teen Titans run is much better.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I hope so too, I'm tempted to look into with the original line up almost back. If only we could get (Red) Robin back now that Bruce is returning...

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Agreed. We'll see how it happens.

As for CfJ, I will most likely never read it unless I find a 50% off deal on the softcover or all 7 issues, and it's not a big loss in terms of money. I have no interest in reading it, but I like JLA stories, and seeing as how it pretty much affected 2-3 of the books I read and their characters I'm missing a bit of a beat point in the current timeline. It'd be something I'd feel obligated to read rather than want to.