Wonder Woman #600 *Spoilers*

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Tragic Angelus

Wonder Woman #600 *Spoilers*

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Now that all of the Big Three have hit their respective anniversary issues, I wanted to put up a short review of each.

Wonder Woman #600 has 4-5 short stories, all roughly set in the present.

The first story, by Gail Simone and George Perez, "Valedictorian" starts with Diana leading most of the female DC heroes, including Supergirl, Batwoman, Ravager, Dove, and others, against some of Dr. Ivo's robots to protect the President, as the robots take over the minds of men. Once it's over, Diana heads to see Vanessa Kapatelis, a character created by Perez who over time was transformed into the Silver Swan, graduate from college as the valedictorian of her class. She and Diana talk after her speech, and recount their history briefly ad Diana congratulates her.

The second story, by Amanda Conner, "Fuzzy Logic" deals with Diana, Power Girl, and Cassandra Cain as Batgirl taking down Eg Fu rather quickly. The inclusion of Cassandra leads the story to be in the rather recent past. After it's done, and with some comedy used, Power Girl asks Diana for her help with a situation that can't be won with fists, and Diana helps her understand the nature of the issue.

The third story, by Louise Simonson and Eduardo Pansica, "Firepower" is a short story about Wonder Woman and Superman taking on Nikos Aegeus, who is using his stolen Lightning Bolts of Zeus to cause disasters until the US Government pays him his demands. Superman's vunerability to Magic leads Wonder Woman to pretty much saving the day.

The fourth story, by Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins, possibly titled "The Sensational Wonder Woman" thou it's not clear, has two beings seemingly discussing the nature of Diana as compared to Hercules, and how the world needs to learn from her. As she chases a young girl who's running from two men, the girl reveals there's more to her than lets on, and as they run into a blinding light the next story begins.

The fifth story (or part two of the last depending on how you look at it) by JMS and Don Kramer, "Odyssey" is the prologue to the next year's arc by JMS. Diana's instantly in her new outfit taking down some men who've trapped her in an alley, finally going 'home' to a tunnel filled with masked Amazons, demanding to see the Oracle, a young girl living under a bridge. The oracle reveals that time has changed and Paradise Island was destroyed, and shows Diana what it looks like now.

The rest of the issue is filled with GLORIOUS pinups and artwork between each story, without a doubt the best being the two page spread by Phil Jimenez (which is on the DCU Blog so go see it if you haven't yet!!).

Overall, the stories here were great, though of course the big controversy broke last night in Diana's new look and history. How that'll go over, or how long, is still up in the air, but this one has a bi tmore continuity to it in Gail's story, but it was still great to read. In terms of 'extras' this issue wins, with much better art than in the Batman issue, and none that existed in Superman. The story quality too was amazing, and honestly JMS story being broken earlier gave it some pre warning. If it's a year long journey thing I'm ok with the story. If it's a permanent change I wont be happy at all. This one is up with the Superman issue, and I'd say the artwork puts it above that other two total.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I picked it up specifically because it was an anniversary issue (as, I'm sure, many others did). It was pretty good. I still think Batman's was my first fav, then this, then Superman's. I am intrigued by her new costume. It doesn't exactly look like a costume, except it looks more like she was in a dance studio in the 80s, lol! I'm still trying to figure out whether I want to continue on with Odyssey. It's been around 3 years since I picked up an issue of Wonder Woman so I'd want to catch up first. Not sure yet...