Batman #700 *Spoilers*

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Tragic Angelus

Batman #700 *Spoilers*

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Now that all of the Big Three have hit their respective anniversary issues, I wanted to put up a short review of each.

Batman #700 features four short Batman stories, all written by Grant Morrison, each with a different artist. The first three are all connected through one villain/character reoccurring through time, while the final shorter story is merely about the legacy of Batman.

With art by Tony Daniel, "Yesterday" is set with Bruce still as Batman, and Dick as Robin, with an Adam West style of the Joker, Riddler, Catwoman, Scarecrow having kidnapped them and and put them in a time torture with a device made by a Professor Nichols, and shortly the two get free and win, debating how the machine could be used for their gain but Batman reminding Dick what's done is done and they can't change their past.

With art by Frank Quitely and Scott Kolins "Today" has Dick as Batman and Damian investigating the same lab, only with the professor dead in it. Dick notices he's in his 80s but should only be in his 60s. When later placing a wreath by the theater where Bruce's family died, we see them do "community crimefighting" and stop a big weapons sale, debating the whole time when Damian would finally be ready to be Batman.

With art by Andy Kubert, "Tomorrow" is Damian as Batman, working to solve a case that leads him to encounter Prof. Nichols, and eventually begin solving the mystery of how he died.

With art by David Finch, "And Tomorrow.." shows us a glimpse of Batman Beyond's world, and other dystopian like settings where a Batman rises up, with the idea that there will always be a Batman when he's needed.

The rest is a pin up gallery from a number of artists, along with a pretty cool showing of the Batcave, what's on each level, and kind of like a map of what's all connected to what.

Overall, While the most connected of the 3 stories, it's the one I liked the least. Rather than short vignettes leading to a new story, it confused me the most. Granted it's been a few weeks since I first read it and had to go back through it today, and I recall being utterly exhausted when I did first read it, but it was a little hard to follow on it's own.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Yeah, I'm starting to think Morrison really isn't for me. I didn't enjoy this issue.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

XIII wrote:Yeah, I'm starting to think Morrison really isn't for me. I didn't enjoy this issue.
I've sadly been thinking this a long time.

New X-Men seems to be the only thing of his I have really, really enjoyed.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."