Blackest Night: Batman *SPOILERS*

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Tragic Angelus

Blackest Night: Batman *SPOILERS*

Post by Tragic Angelus »

And here we go with the 3rd of the first 3 mini series for Blackest Night, and It definitely managed to deliever.

While I wasn't familiar with Syaf's artwork, he did do a great job and fit the bill for a Bat artist. And the book being handled by Tomasi is a solid lock since he's the co pilot for the entire BN event.

We start with Dick and Damian at the gravesite of the Waynes, and the unmarked site of Bruce. And like Dick says, it's like a battlefield with stones knocked up, caskets pulled up and numerous disturbances. However, the bones of the Waynes are still there, and Dick decides to collect them and take them back to the tower for safe keeping, but Damian is having a hard time accepting this so Dick says he will do it and for Damian to wait in the car.

And here's where we pick up on Boston Brand, aka Deadman, who we saw rise as a Black Lantern in the main title. He's racing to his grave to fight what he knows is coming, as he can feel people rising across the world, and as he sees his body rise up, he lunges in and is forced out in mere moments, but not before he's forced to relive his entire life and then also connect to the main power battery and get glimpses of the Black lanterns and their operations. So as he's forced out and in pain, he heads off to find someone he knows he can trust.

Meanwhile, an airliner carrying bodies of dead 'enemies' of Batman is heading to DC for the Hall of Justice to keep them safe, something else we learned in the main title. It's immediately attacked by Black Rings, which crush through the windshield and through most of the personale, calling for the villains to rise. They are:

Roland Desmond, Blockbuster
Arnold Wesker, Ventriloquist
Anatoli Knyazev, KGBeast
Margaret Pye, Magpie
Edmund Dorrance, King Snake
Deacon Joseph Blackfire
Tom Trigger, Trigger Twins
Tad Trigger, Trigger Twins
Arnold Etchinson, Abattoir

Basically, nothing but C-list villains, so I'm hoping for something more soon.

Damian and Dick are discussing the goings on of the night and how Damian has lost Bruce, which leads to Damian finally yelling that he's not afraid of anything, something that's also being played out in the main title as well, tho not as forward. As they discuss this, Brand jumps straight into Dick believing it to be Bruce. Both quickly learn what's happened, while Damian begins freaking out trying to figure otu what's going on, punching Dick and causing the car to crash. Brand explains who and what he is, and then jumps straight into Damian so he can talk with Dick. Dick now knows what Brand did about the Rings and the two discuss it as they head to a spot Dick is worried about.

As they do, the gravesite of the Graysons is hit with two black rings. Followed by the sites of Jack and Janet Drake. As the three finally make it to the cemetary to learn of the Drake's graves being emptied, Dick calls Tim, who demands to be left alone. But once he learns his parents graves are empty he agrees to come home immediately. Just as the bat signal is lit up, and bodies are clearly shown on the fractured image in the sky.

Not a bad issue, and I'm glad to see Deadman is being dealt with here, but I'm hoping he plays out more in the main title as well.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sounds interesting, but overall I'm raher glad I didn't pick it up. It sounds like an okay read but not at the price that its being solicited at.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Still not a fan of Damian Wayne though. Irritates the crap out of me.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Well only the first issue is at 3.99 for all the books, remaining issues are all at 2.99 according to the solicits. It's nice if only for follow up on Deadman to me. There aren't any other big Black Lanterns past him and perhaps the parents of Dick and Tim if that does in deed play out. We'll see this week

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Issue 2:

First and foremost, so far this has become my least favorite of the three minis. Not necessarily on the creative teams part due to bad art or storytelling, but just in overall anticipation and reveals. With most of the Black Lanterns we encounter in the first two issues being C and D level villains, not much goes on. The final issue should hopefully prove the reason for this one though.

So let's begin.

Said C and D list BL's are running rampant through Gotham, killing people left and right. From prisons to grocery stores to churches, they don't stop anywhere, and on the first page we see that power levels are now at 46.77%. A huge leap to me, tho I'm not coverin the GL Corps issues, where something could have happened to increase it greatly. My best guess is that the 100% releases SPOILER!!!!!

Nekron, who we learned is the mastermind and appears in Issue 5 of the main title. Though maybe not a Spoiler since it's all over the previews.. I expect something else to happen after that.

Anyway, most of the villains have now converged at GCPD headquarters and running the broken Bat Signal (from where Hal crashed on it). Deadman, Batman, and Robin are racing to the scene with a stop at National Guard Armory before hand to pick up some flame throwers. We get a brief update on the weapons Damian can use and what he's been trained in, where Dick reminds him they still don't use guns, even in this situation. Dick orders Deadman to help get remaining police out of the building as he and Damian choose their route to infiltrate in.

Meanwhile, Jim Gordon and Barbara are attempting to escape from King Snake and the Trigger Twins (who are apparently Wild West Gunslinger types). They're killing police officers left and right, and like all BL's, eating the hearts. It's interesting to note though that not all of them get rings after.. in fact nearly none do to my knowledge.. must be something to who gets one.

Gordon and Barbara hide out in a room, until one Lantern rises up to the window, where Jim continues to blast him with a shotgun, though he regrows every injury. Gordon continues firing until it's about nothing but a pair of legs, but it still regrows.

Batman and Robin appear to the BL's on the roof, unleashing the flame throwers to keep them at bay. Dick is considered to have Willpower and Rage, while Damian is coded with Fear (but it should be noted that neither one is 'colored' like in the other series, and are drawn/colored normally). It seems fire does affect them, but only in keeping them back as it doesn't kill them (something we saw with J'onn earlier).

Finally, King Snake and the twins catch up to Jim and Barbara, where BL King Snake threatens Gordon that he'll have to watch his daughter's heart be eaten before he's killed. Deadman suddenly jumps into Barbara and frees her from the twins, and lunges out at Jim knocking the two through a window and using her still in shape upper body and muscle memory to land them in another building/room across the way. Deadman then explains that he's in Barbara and it was nothing special or magical about her getting her mobility back, but Gordon then has to carry her on his back to move forward. So I'm not very sure how Deadman managed to launch himself forward if he can't make her walk now.. little missleading there.

As the BL's head after the Gordon's, they notice the fire on the roof and head up to confront Batman and Robin, when Tim contacts them to hit the deck immediately. As they do, he flies a Bat plane straight thru the BL's. Batman and Robin hop into the plane, and as they do Tim let's them know he's noticed civilians in the area (Jim and Barbara) which, when Dick see's them of course makes him rather emotional. They pick them up and Deadman explains to Dick that he's in Barbara so Dick isn't shocked since Brand picked up the two have a history together.

As Tim and Dick discuss that their parents are most likely now Black Lanterns, the ship is attacked, and of course, Black Lantern Drakes are standing in the cockpit, which instantly brings tears to Tim. Suddenly the Black Lantern Graysons appear as well, and the Plane crashes down into a cemetary.

Again, not a bad series, but in comparison to the others it just doesn't hold up yet. I'm expecting a lot out of the final issue with the Drakes and Graysons battling their sons, and this fear of Damian's coming to the forefront some more.

Also, a side nitpick of mine was that Tim and Dick through around first and last names insanely close to Gordon.. even if he was in the back of the Bat plane, that's a big risk for the two of them. Gordon is trusted sure, but I don't think he ever know Bruce's secret. Though now with the Drakes and Graysons calling the two of them son, I'm sure their secret's out to him at this point.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Great review, I'm not surprised Dick has Willpower but the Rage surprised me. I never envisioned Dick as being that angry; sure he gets pissed at Bruce from time to time, but not angry enough to be a Red Lantern.

Throughout Dick's entire existence, he was always the happy go lucky kid. Obviously he had tragedy in his life, but he seemed to have dealt with that much better than Bruce and seemed to have move past it.

If Damien isn't a ringer for Rage, I don't know what is, but I'd like to see the reasoning for him being a Yellow Lantern.

The way I see it, Bruce, Dick, Tim, Damien & Barbara, and Huntress are all keyed for Willpower but:

Bruce is primarily Fear, Rage
Dick would be Hope, and Love
Tim is is same: Hope and Love
Damien would be Rage and Fear
Barbara would be Hope, Love and maybe Avarice and Rage
Huntress would be: Rage, Fear, Avarice, and Hope

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I agree on all of those, and I feel that Dick's rage portion was not properlly explained by me.

Earlier in issue two, he mentions how much he wishes he could go to his parents grave to make certain that it has either been disturbed or left alone, like Tim and Bruce's parents' gravees. He feels certain that it has been and they've become lanterns, but he follows his sense of duty to protect civilians instead of giving into his own desires because he knows that's what he has to do. So I assume the Rage comes from the fact that he isn't sure about his parent's fate, and that they may have been upset by what's going on. I see that being the source of his Rage quality.

Damian's fear.. it's been playing out in BN Batman since issue one where he and Dick have the conversation that results in Damian yelling that he's not afraid, where Dick didn't really bring it up at all. I think the subtext is that Damian really is shocked by this world, and upset that he lost his father just as he met him, and he may be worried that it can actually happen to him as well.

Tim to me now seems to be very much Rage driven, what with his desire to prove Bruce is alive and that no one believes him. But we'll see how it plays out.

Other than that, I definitely agree with your Classifications on the two.

Also, the classifying of fear has been less than the same lately. When the Sinestro Corps started, it was those that instilled great fear. Now, it seems to read those that are afraid, rather than those that create fear. All of the other emotions fit how one is selected, but the Fear emotion is a little.. mixed. We know Batman was chosen to wield a ring because he instills fear, but now Black Lanterns are seeing people who seem to express fear. So my question is what's the deal there?

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Tragic Angelus wrote:.

Also, the classifying of fear has been less than the same lately. When the Sinestro Corps started, it was those that instilled great fear. Now, it seems to read those that are afraid, rather than those that create fear. All of the other emotions fit how one is selected, but the Fear emotion is a little.. mixed. We know Batman was chosen to wield a ring because he instills fear, but now Black Lanterns are seeing people who seem to express fear. So my question is what's the deal there?
See now that's just lame; they're watering down the power of Fear by changing it by going from allowing only with those with the power to instill it, to just anyone who feels it. To me, by expanding Fear to the general populace it makes it less unique. The other emotions are free for the writers to play with as they see fit, but Fear always played an important part in the GL mythology.

Just like lots of people have willpower, only a select few have the proper Willpower to wield a GL ring (i.e. In Rebirth, Oliver tried to use Hal's ring, and though Oliver is a hero and has willpower, his was cynical so couldn't really do much with a ring); Yellow Lantern rings should only be wielded by those with the proper power to instill Fear.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

As far as I know, those that wield Yellow Rings are still those that instill great Fear, but being coded by the Black Lanterns seems to be both ways. Those that Instill and those that feel Fear, which is where my confusion comes in.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Issue #3:

The conclusion arrives, and must say this is the single best issue of the book, and I don't mean that in 'It was still bad but the best one" but rather this was definately a really good issue with a good portion of Bat- and DCU- History heavily put in.

So we kick start back with the wrecking down into a cemetary, with Dick giving us a quick recap that the Graysons and Drakes have returned, and as he mentions he's crashing into a cemetary, we get the reveal that they're now in a high circus tent, and we also see an apartment at the base. Seemingly, this is the first time that (assumingly) Black Lanterns have used abilities to create illusions and alter reality.

Tim and Dick fall into a very Batman and Robin role, with Tim actually responding when Dick yells Robin, only for Dick to always yell back 'The other one!'. You really get the impression that these two would have been a great Batman and Robin team, or after this, I'd even settle for Batman and Red Robin.

Dick orders Damian to get Barbara and Jim Gordon to the bunker for safety, as Gordon is still knocked out, and Deadman has left Barbara finally. Damian tries to fight him, but finally gives in, and Dick orders Deadman to go and get some additional help since Fire has been working. We see Deadman arrive at the home of Jason Blood, who tries turning him away but he lunges inside him, and calls forth the Demon Etrigan.

Back to Dick and Tim, who are witnessing Black Lantern Jack Drake completely re-enact his death scene in Identity Crisis, down to the very word. For a fan of Identity Crisis like me, this was a huge throw back that I loved. Tim tries arguing that this could be the one chance they have to actually save their parents, rather than fight them like the other lanterns, but Dick tries talking sense into him, as Black Lantern Graysons begin their final trapeeze act above them. And just as Dick nearly gets through to Tim, Dick's dead father calls out to him that it's time to fly, and Dick instinctivly gives in and reaches out, becoming the child trapeeze artist all over again, even though he knows it's all a lie.

Meanwhile, Tim is in the apartment with his father, who is repeating the lines he said to Tim while he and Bruce raced back to the Drake residence in Identity Crisis. Tim falls in line and begins saying the same thing he said then, when suddenly Black Lantern Captain Boomerang (Digger Harkness) burst in all over again and prepares to throw the boomerang that killed Jack Drake. Tim lunges at his father, knocking him out of the way so only his leg is hit, and he feels like he saed his father. Time then brutally begins attacking BL Captain Boomerang, beating him down, and being fully colored with Rage.

As this occurs, Dick, swing in the air between both parents notices the rope begin to snap and falls down with his parents this time. The crash to the ground but he survives, only to hear someone begin laughing and taunting their death. He turns to find Black Lantern Zucco, his parent's murderer and begins beating him sensless as well.

Tim and Dick are brutally attacking their parents murderers, being colored and overwhelmed with rage, as all of the Lanterns begin amassing and prepare to feed of the emotion by ripping their hearts out. But before they can, Etrigan arrives (controled by Deadman) and begins firing off on all the BLs. The two regain their heads and use their flame throwers as well, as Dick contacts Damian and has him send Mr. Freeze's gun to them but ordering Damian to remain at the bunker.

Arriving to the scene via a winger that Dick used to use as Nightwing, Dick prepares the gun, and we see him colored with Hope and Fear, Tim with Rage and Will, and Etrigan colored EXACTLY like Dove has been in the Blackest Night Titans mini. I'm assuming here that Magic may greatly affect emotional reading, but I'm not sure how that plays in with Dove. Dick turns the gun on Tim and freezes him, then on himself. With both encased in ice, Deadman lunges out of Etrigan.

The BLs (by now including the villains as well) try to remove Etrigan's heart but find he has none, and he runs off annoyed at all the things occurring around him. The search for heartbeats in the area but find none and so all of the Lanterns take to the sky, as Deadman counts to 10 and finally lunges into Tim, forcing his body to move and shatter the ice around him. He does the same to Dick and both are finally freed from the ice, which froze their hearts and prevented them from being detected.

Now freed from attack, they decide they have to take action and share what they've figured out and join the fight with others as soon as possible.

Overall, this was the single best issue of the mini, and it was good. Tim and Dick are a fantastic combination, and in just 1 issue of them together as Batman and Red Robin, I'm sold on that team up more than after 5 issues of Batman and Robin with Dick and Damian. I loved the inclusion of Deadman in the min as well, and bringing in Etrigan was a great piece as well. If this is how this series ends I'm assuming all of the current minis will wrap up just as well.