Gail Simone Birds of Prey

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

wolf_2099

Gail Simone Birds of Prey

Post by wolf_2099 »

Gails Simones new volume of BoP, with Ed Benes. Has anyone read it, and could you read it with no background information?

Krista wants to try a comic written by and starring females and I thought BoP was a good choice.

However, I haven't read her new volume, and don't know how accessible it is. Any help?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I had never read BoP before this new series launched, and I jumped in head first on the series and I love it. The only helpful back up is maybe knowing a few characters, or that Black Canary has an adoptive daughter she rarely sees.

I will admit, the reveal on some villains left me confused from not reading the past series, but it was nothing a quick wikipedia search or asking someone here didn't fix.

In addition, when Alisha wanted to start reading comics on a monthly basis rather than trade, this was one of the first books she decided on since it was new and she liked Gail's Secret Six. She's jumped in pretty easily and had little trouble enjoying the series. I'd say it's a good bet for the first trade at least.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I picked up Simone's previous BoP trades with having the bare minimum knowledge of Oracle, Canary & Huntress and found it easy to get into & understand and very enjoyable.

The Simone/Benes run is very popular & very good but I'd reccomend, getting the trades from the begining of Simone's (Benes may not have been with her from the begining) because Simone herself takes a "fresh start" type of approach.

Obviously there is some backstory and things you need to know but as The Ed Said: nothing a quick wikipedia search can't fix.

XIII

Post by XIII »

I think there is Kelly Sue Deconnick (Matt Fraction's wife) starting a run on Supergirl very soon.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yes, it may actually be on issue 65 which will be the next issue released from DC this July I think.