Superman and Action = polar ends for Superman? [spoilers]

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

jedispyder

Superman and Action = polar ends for Superman? [spoilers]

Post by jedispyder »

I haven't read Action 900 yet but I've read all about Superman renouncing his citizenship. Yet over in his own title, Superman has been on a year-long "walkabout" by walking from town to town in the US. He's trying to get back to his roots. It's been revealed in that title he is suffering from depression after his adoptive father died and New Krypton was destroyed within a year of each other. Then we suddenly have him in Action just up and renounce his Citizenship. I'm gonna try to read the issue when I get home from my RPG tonight but does this not make sense to any else? It's like in one title you're trying on a path to try and love Indian food yet in another title, in a backup story, you announce that you loathe Indian food. Does not compute!

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Yeah, I know. I was thinking the same thing.

But...

The citizenship story was just a 9 page story thrown into 900, I think it has been made a bigger deal of than anyone expected.

I was actually surprised Superman even had American citizenship.
How does a dude in a cape get citizenship?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Better question is how does an alien from another planet get citizenship?

And yeah, I really don't think they would have expected a 9 page "throwaway story" be more of a big deal than the main story.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

jedispyder wrote:Better question is how does an alien from another planet get citizenship?

And yeah, I really don't think they would have expected a 9 page "throwaway story" be more of a big deal than the main story.
Yeah. I get the feeling this will be another of the stories that will be a moot point in 3 months.

It gets some press now, but when you actually think about it it makes no sense and dies off pretty quickly.

However, it still won't make it easy to find a copy for awhile.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Yep. I originally only bought both variants and not the regular cover, but once they started getting more expensive on eBay I went and bought the regular cover (plus more awesome stuff) at MidtownComics.com

I'm sure it'll be like Cap's death. People care about it for awhile and then get bored and the price dips down low.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Looks like Ed posted the page on Twitter where Supes get his citizenship:

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Ummm..

If he is a member of every UN country, why would he have to revoke his US citizenship to prove he is for the world and not the US?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I imagine he got his U.S. specific citizenship by being recognized as a citizen of the U.S. by living in Metropolis. It's fair to say that he's made it no secret he lives in the U.S., and though the world knows he's not from Earth, they granted him citizenship as a protector of the country I would imagine.

What most complaints about the story aren't digging into from what I gather is the 'why' he renounced it. While I've not read it, the review I read that gave details said the President gave Superman a lot of trouble for appearing at a Rally in either Israel or Palestine, I don't recall which, and in doing so he made it seem as though America supported the beliefs of those at the Rally. Since the President doesn't want Superman acting on this behalf, regardless of his beliefs on an issue, Superman decided to renounce the citizenship so he could, I assume, act on his own free will and not be limited to representing American ideals and opinions wherever he went.

That's my assumption, and to me is fair justification on renouncing it. It somewhat reminds me of when Steve Rogers quit being Captain America because the government wanted him to do things and follow orders that he did not agree with, so he had to step down or contradict his own beliefs, i.e. 'renounce' his 'citizenship' as Captain America.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be forgotten and undone soon but I don't see the harm. It could prove to be an interesting story point, but again like it was brought up, it's totally outside what he's doing in his other books. That seems to be the issue when big characters have multiple solo books.. they never really reflect their different actions and decisions.