Green Lantern Mythology Revised

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

Tragic Angelus

Green Lantern Mythology Revised

Post by Tragic Angelus »

So in this week's Green Lantern #63, the history of the Green Lantern Corps has been altered again, and it's a pretty big change.

Be warned, there are Spoilers from here on out.

*increased space to serve spyder's desire*

*more space*

Ok here we go. We've learned that Krona is the one who had been stealing the entities from all of the Corps, and he stated earlier on that he wrote the GL Oath. Well here we learn more.

It turns out, as seen in the DC previews last week or so, that the Oans originally wore the White Lantern emblem, but as they began pushing emotions back to serve and protect life, Krona objected, saying they needed to embrace emotions to preserve life. He's then surrounded by Guardians and Manhunters.

Well later, we see him running from Manhunters, wearing a pack of some kind, he's talking about how the Guardians need to learn how to overcome fear, and he turns to fire Green Energy from his glove connected to his pack, taking down all the Manhunters. He then rips part of the head off one, and changes the programming so they now say "No MAN escapes the Manhunters" rather than "No ONE escapes the Manhunters", and they then go on their rampage killing everyone in Sector 666 (Atrocitus' homeworld).

Krona's imprisoned, telling the Guardians they don't have the willpower or fear to power up the device and use it as they begin examining it, and tells them he killed the sector to prove a point, and having wept over their deaths for weeks, he reminds them that they have yet to shed a tear for the loss of life. He then tells them to Worship his Might, and to Beware his Power.

This is all revealed to us as the New Guardians (Hal, Carol, Sinestro, St. Walker, Atrocitus, Larfleeze, & Indigo 1) find his hiding spot on Ryut and the Book of the Black, the stolen chapters from the Book of Oa. Then, the issue ends with another chapter being revealed to them, where it says something like "Only 3 will Wear the Ring" showing Guy, Hal, Kyle, and John all racing for 3 GL rings.

Overall, I kind of can't say this change impresses me. It's neat that Krona invented the tech to harness the Green Light, but that he murdered the sector takes away some of the importance of the GL Corps coming together to me so far.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I am so happy I dropped GL a while ago. I can't say any of this sounds anything but confusing.

You are a big Johns and GL fan yes? Are you still enjoying this run?
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

I'm still enjoying it, but I feel like he's taking way too long to tell it. The first post-Blackest Night storyline ran from issue 53-62, and didn't even stop there but rather ran right into issue 63, which is the prelude to War of the Green Lanterns. This story's not over, and another is starting next issue? I don't get that. Krona has the Entities, and all 7 New Guardians just got together and found his HQ. Taking far, far too long to tell.

Also, his new work schedule is seriously putting a problem on his work. While Brightest Day has been delay free, Flash and GL have both been plagued in these stories. You can't tell me that both artists are behind, but rather Johns scripts must be now that he's CCO, which is really sad.

As for the story, it's interesting, though knowing Krona killed Sector 666 isn't something I'm fond of. I just wish he hadn't taken so long to get us here. I could do without War of the GLs already, less than a year after BN. Seems a bit too soon.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

I had that problem with his stories as well, far too decompressed.

Didn't they even hit a new status quo after blackest night, or just kind of drag things into War of the GL's?

I was wondering if he was dragging them out to have to script less books, and leave it up to the artists to fill in the gaps. It always seemed to me a lot of his 6 issues story arcs could be three.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Before Blackest Night, while most of the stories connected together, they were only about 5 issues long it seemed. Here, with a 10 or so issue story that hasn't even been resolved I'm really surprised he's pulling this after his big epic in Blackest Night.

They started with the new status quo after Blackest Night but we didn't even finish where it was going or what was going to come of it before War of the GLs. I was expecting 2 stories before that, but instead we got one that I feel didn't even finish.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I feel like he'll be down to just 2 books before 2011 is over, and possibly 1 somewhere in 2012 as his CCO duties get more involved, granted that the GL movie actually turns out successful.

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Before Blackest Night, while most of the stories connected together, they were only about 5 issues long it seemed. Here, with a 10 or so issue story that hasn't even been resolved I'm really surprised he's pulling this after his big epic in Blackest Night.

They started with the new status quo after Blackest Night but we didn't even finish where it was going or what was going to come of it before War of the GLs. I was expecting 2 stories before that, but instead we got one that I feel didn't even finish.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I feel like he'll be down to just 2 books before 2011 is over, and possibly 1 somewhere in 2012 as his CCO duties get more involved, granted that the GL movie actually turns out successful.
Maybe he's be better off sharing writing dutied? Doing the outlines and letting someone else script the books.

MGM

Post by MGM »

Johns is best off not near a script at all. :D

XIII

Post by XIII »

Tragic Angelus wrote: granted that the GL movie actually turns out successful.
Oh!!! So you're the one who still has faith in that movie! I was wondering who it could be. ;D

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Not interested in the GL War; it's too soon after Blackest Night. DC should've let things calm down a little within the realm of GL for a while before jumping into the next main event. As it is, it sounds like it was released early soley to compete with Fear Itself.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

XIII wrote:Oh!!! So you're the one who still has faith in that movie! I was wondering who it could be. ;D
Hahah I'm hopeful for it, but I'm still hesitant about that damn costume.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:Not interested in the GL War; it's too soon after Blackest Night. DC should've let things calm down a little within the realm of GL for a while before jumping into the next main event. As it is, it sounds like it was released early soley to compete with Fear Itself.
I think it's there to more be 'Green Lanterns only' for the time leading up to the movie coming out. Having a storyline in all 3 books that focuses mostly on the GLC rather than all 7 corps.

Interestingly enough, I found this blog with a description of Fear Itself that makes it sound nearly identical to Blackest Night, based on all of the latest info and teasers we've been getting:

http://joshuayehl.blogspot.com/2011/02/fear-itself-and-blackest-night-saving.html?spref=tw

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I've been loving it the same as it's been.

And I only ask for spoiler space when you write an update on it the NIGHT BEFORE it's released, lol. Day of I know to expect spoilers, night before no one expects the Spanish Inquisition ;)

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Tragic Angelus wrote:I think it's there to more be 'Green Lanterns only' for the time leading up to the movie coming out. Having a storyline in all 3 books that focuses mostly on the GLC rather than all 7 corps.
eehhhh maybe. But the way I see it, if you're a comics fan you, more likely than not, will see the GL film. Nearly all GL fans will see the film regardless of all the promos DC rolls out. Only hardcore GL fans will pick all the promos and it seems like DC is rolling out all these promos just for the hardcore fans. Most of the movie going public aren't comic fans, don't want to know about comics and, to be honest, aren't going to wander into a comic shop after they see the GL film.
Interestingly enough, I found this blog with a description of Fear Itself that makes it sound nearly identical to Blackest Night, based on all of the latest info and teasers we've been getting:

http://joshuayehl.blogspot.com/2011/02/fear-itself-and-blackest-night-saving.html?spref=tw
I'm inclined to agree with that.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Mr Wallstreet wrote:I'm inclined to agree with that.
Which part? The similarities between the two storylines and blatant copying almost 2 years after the other started, or the hope that those stories would pump up interest and sales in lines normally ignored?

wolf_2099

Post by wolf_2099 »

Tragic Angelus wrote:Which part? The similarities between the two storylines and blatant copying almost 2 years after the other started, or the hope that those stories would pump up interest and sales in lines normally ignored?
Marvel already ripped off Blackest Night with thier X-Men event.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

They did that with the dead rising part, now it seems like finding additional hammers and granting however many more people a hammer and power like that mimics the various corps aspect too.

While I do agree with a Zeitgeist type of mentality, in the sense of "what's popular and working is what we all do" and how things tend to mimic each other back to back, regardless of how far in advanced they were planned (like two 'zombie' esque stories back to back in BN and Necrosha), but doing this aspect almost 2 years later is pretty hard to ditch the comparison aspect.