JMS off Superman and WW

Batman, Superman, and other comic book legends.

Moderator: Tragic Angelus

wolf_2099

JMS off Superman and WW

Post by wolf_2099 »

To do an Earth one sequel.

What the fuck? They push and push and push his two twelve issues runs, both doing fairly well, then drop him or he drops it to do a sequel, halfway through his run?

As much as I like JMS's writing, between this and the twevle, I am done with his comics.
"French is like anal, exotic but oh so unnecessary."

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Yeah, this totally just reeks of poor decision making, poor craftsmanship on his part, and bad planning on DC's part.

If he wants to write an OGN then fine, but this just seems like a very convenient cover to some negative reaction to his runs more than anything. I'd been enjoying Grounded on Superman for the most part, and just kind of going through the motions on WW, but this is just terrible planning.

I agree with you that after tons and tons of promoting and pushing of his books, letting him leave less than halfway through the two is just terrible planning.

Both stories are going to be 'finished' by other writers, based on his story notes, but I'm willing to bet some of the reaction and sales on the books probably didn't hurt in his deciding to leave the book.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

I talked to my retailer about it and he said it was a incredibly horrible decision on their part. Such a shame.

XIII

Post by XIII »

Well, I think DC got themselves into a corner they couldn't get out off.
If they say no to JMS when he says he is leaving Sups and WW, he'll just tell them to fuck off regarding the Earth One sequel.
Me, I'll just wait until the Twelve is finaly done with and get the HC and that will be it.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

But see, that's what I'm wondering: Who asked who to leave the books? Did he want out to do the EO, or did they proposition that to him as a 'way to spend more time to do work on OGNs'? I understand that DC had little choice if he was the one who requested it, but how often do people request to leave books in the middle of their inaugural story? (probably more often than I think, I'm guessing).

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

Sounds like someone, either JMS or DC was unhappy about something and the it resulted in JMS being pulled from Supes & Wondy.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

From what I understood in the article in Bleeding Cool that broke the story (in rumor form) it was JMS that wanted to leave comics for OGNs, not him being forced off comics.

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Well if you want to leave singles for another format, that's fine. But you should have the decency to finish what you've started rather than completely abandon it by leaving it someone else to finish while they 'use your notes' to make sure it's done right. That's just a lack of respect to the company, characters, upcoming writers, and the readers.

jedispyder

Post by jedispyder »

Here's a quote from him that he told Bleeding Cool:
This is the best time, and the best opportunity, to step back from writing monthlies entirely so that I can focus on graphic novels and minis. While I feel I’ve done well as a writer in monthlies, the books for which I’m most known and which have had the best reaction are the limited series and GNs like Midnight Nation, Rising Stars, Silver Surfer Requiem, to an extent, Supreme Power, which I treated as a mini as I was writing it, and The Twelve (where Chris has now caught up with the script, and now it falls to me to do the last bit and bring this thing in for a landing). With books like these, I can take the time it takes to get the script absolutely right before it’s ever even announced.

So for me, yes, GNs are the future because they will allow me to tell better stories. It ain’t about the money. In stepping away from writing monthlies for the next 1-5 years, and doing instead only one or two limited series/GNs per year, I’m taking a 75% pay cut in comics so that I can focus on telling better stories.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I HOPE JMS BURNS IN HELL!!!1111

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

I don't much read Superman, but what is this graphic novel he wrote that was so great?

Tragic Angelus

Post by Tragic Angelus »

Superman: Earth One

The big push of DC going into their multiverse and telling stories on other earths. He and Shane Davis did Superman, and Johns and Gary Frank are doing Batman: Earth One to come out later this year.

Mr Wallstreet

Post by Mr Wallstreet »

If its all its cracked up to be, I'll be sure to check out the softcover trade next year.

I'm still waiting for the Joker story by Brian Azzerallo to be released in softcover & it came out almost 2 years ago >:(